Fans Fight To Finance Player Purchases In England

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Aug 1, 2002.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    A group of Queens Park Ranger fans have been fighting in court for the right to purchase players for the team, who by the way is presently losing money due to low attendance(sound familiar?). They have a minimum buy-in(250 pounds) and if the player sells for more when he leaves, the fan gets the profit according to the % of his investment that went toward that player......most choose to re-invest because the idea is to make your team better so you can be promoted and ultimately get back to the premiership where the team should be profitable on it's own. This isn't reserved for fans, it can be small businesses or large corporations also. Wouldn't that be cool to say you own 1.3% of Ariel Graziani? My wife knows which 1.3% of Ariel that she wants. I heard this on KNBR last night but didn't hear all the details. Just thought it was interesting since we have attendance problems also.

Discuss:

2. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this actually started I might have to invest in the Cyberays instead, I wouldn't mind getting a piece of Brandi. ;)

3. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    One example they used was former QPR player(Les Ferdinand) that was purchased for 60,000 pounds and sold for 600,000 or 6,000,000 pounds, i can't remember but the point is, it's like the stock market. Buy a % of Eddie Robinson dirt cheap and when he's playing for the NATs and doing well he gets sold to EPL for $1,000,000 the fans and the team get paid. The QPR fans are actually doing it now but I think there is a restraining order on it right now. Other teams are waiting to see how the court rules before jumping on this wagon.

4. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Mmmmmm.....Kim Clark. ;)

5. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One investment that's not painful to look at these days

[​IMG]

6. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    This is a very interesting concept, especially with the amount of dough players can go for these days.....

7. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

It's like a Pro soccer player stock market. :D

8. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should purchase the rights to Heather Mitts!

9. CaliforniaGas

CaliforniaGas New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA
    The only reason this is happening, is that the board of QPR are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. They have lined their pockets, and now they have no money to improve the playing staff at the club. Not so many years ago QPR were in the EPL......they got bad, and were relegated to the English Division 1. Still paying EPL wages to a team in Div 1, who dont attract the attendances that it should (remembering that QPR are only one of many West London teams, incl. Chelsea and Fulham who are in the EPL), brings about a situation where QPR were losing a lot of money each week. QPR then sacked their perfectly good manager and employed Ian Holloway who had managed to bring about the worst run of results and league placings Bristol Rovers FC had ever experienced in their history. Hence, due to the employment of Ian Holloway, QPR are now in the English 2nd Division, and I shoudl imagine still paying some EPL wages, if not all Div 1 wages. How does all of this transpire? QPR are broke. The board members have been lining their pockets for years, and not investing in QPR Football Club. Lets, employ an untested, pretty poor manager who has no tactical awareness......he's cheap. Lets see how he does. Well you can now see the result. The true fans want to see QPR do well......and this is the only way they can do it. Good Luck to them. Money grabbing board members.....wake up and smell the roses.

10. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Wow.....you should have called in to KNBR when this investor guy was on. Thanks for the info!

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take $50 worth of Yves, please.

12. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better yet, let's buy Yves and make him the second coming of Georgie Best!

13. SoccrGirl4

SoccrGirl4 New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Blackhawk, CA
    I get Landon! ;-)

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more than you can afford. even in blackhawk

15. SoccrGirl4

SoccrGirl4 New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Blackhawk, CA
    haha you sure theres no were i could take out a loan or something? :)

16. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where can I purchase Veronica Paysse?

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on ebay! :D

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anything that keeps him in san jose is fine with me.