Fangzhuo Join ManU?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by MightyBees, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    Ferguson has confirmed that United are close to signing a Chinese player suggesting Dong Fangzhuo is indeed on his way to the club.
    The Dalian Shide striker, as earlier reported last month, impressed during a trial spell with the Premiership champions and is on the brink of a move that could be worth in excess of £1 million.

"We're signing a Chinese boy, hopefully in the next few weeks," revealed Ferguson during his trip to the United States to promote next summer's tour across the Atalantic.

"But we have to be careful how much we grow.
    Can we cope with another couple of million wanting to support us?"

Fangzhuo could initially join United on loan, but the 18-year-old is tipped for a bright future in the game and would bring huge commercial benefits with him should he join Ferguson's men.

2. magic38

magic38 New Member

money money money...

3. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    A billion more United fans, as if they needed any more.

4. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    make me wonder why other premiership clubs haven't done it.
    :)

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They have. City and Everton have both got Chinese players in their squad.

Although Chrystal Palace started it all off years ago.

6. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I think that's true but didn't City and Everton select their players from their performances during the World Cup? From what I've read, Utd invited the top Chinese clubs to send their best players for trial and selected Fangzhuo as being the one most likely to succeed.

Good to see that the loss of Kenyon has not blunted Utd's commercial judgement ;)

7. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    I know. I don't know how to insert the "wink" emoticon.
    I think the issue here is that when Utd sign a Chinese player then it's specualted that it's purely for financial reasons, but when others (such as City and Everton) do it then there has to be more to it.