Fan Growth

Discussion in 'New England Supporters Clubs' started by Mike Donovan, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Mike Donovan

Mike Donovan New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Marlboro
    Let's talk about something that will really help the club...ideas to help grow the Rev fan base. Making people feel like the Fort is an exclusive club where I have "my seat" and you have to beat your drum in sync with everyone else, doesn't win new fans.

We all bring friends to games, so that's already said, but bring more.

I'll start....simplest things I can think of

...never leave a ticket unused, better to give it away than not use it.

...wear Rev's gear as often as possible.

...talk about it (don't preach) as much as possible. I'm surprised by the number of people that tell me about a Rev's game they watched on TV after I have talked about my love of soccer with them.

...have kids? you have a chance to make a lifetime fan. Good luck.

2. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Ya, just from being obsessed with soccer, I had a few people here and there say they watched a game. I've turned people onto the sport who now think it's great and feel bad for dissing it. I think that's the best method I've found so far, and I do tend to wear a lot of Revolution gear as it is, so that's not too big. Well...I am a kid so that's out of the question. I think the biggest thing is advertising, but our front office disagrees.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is definately worth it to try to get your friends and co workers into the game. Back in the day, I knew nodody who cared so I had to rely on BigSoccer to discuss the game with anyone. Now that I slowly recruited a few friends, I can now talk about the Revs almost as easily as baseball. Its great.

4. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put on 10 lbs since last year and the 2 kids who sit in front of me probably gre 3-4 inches betweent he 2 of them. That's about all the growth we'll see until the club gets serious about marketing:D

5. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I agree that wearing the kit is a great way to market the team. I wore mine to Providence Place Mall two weeks ago...a few thousand people must have seen it. Got a few looks too (probably from my devilish good looks!).

6. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation Public Transportation

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're saying is that the Revs should both obtain PT for their games and plaster MBTA buses/subways/etc. with their logo and a schedule poster?
    We *need* to get one of us on the Revs PR/Marketing staff.
    Commuter Rail til i die!!

8. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    Sunday at The Swan I was told by the 7-8 Mexicans there that "we watch them on TV and we would love to come to games but DONT HAVE A WAY TO GET THERE"

this was approximately the 10000th time I have had that conversation

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And everytime I hear that ... I really want to cry. :(

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe after Kraft's man mall is done........
    How far is the stadium from Mansfield station? The Revs (in theory) should/could pony up the cost for a shuttle.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually wondering if they'll start using public transportation from North Station to let people come out to the Mall...

12. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    couple miles away...there is a stop right in front of our lot but that brings up the cycle of "they only run it if they would get enough...but they would get enough if they ran it...but they dont get enough now...but they only run it if they would get enough"

the problem is public transport, there are many many ways to fix it...

13. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    it would probably be from South Station...or maybe a full time shuttle from the Mansfield stop

14. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, why North Station? The Foxboro "station" is on a line that goes through South Station and they cant even get a steady link between North and South....
    Although thinking about Bob's vision for the place, maybe access from both would be needed. After all that would attract the Lawrence folk and the S. NH ones as well.

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs don't want the atmosphere that we want. Revs cater to families. Families don't need public transportation.

16. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of them do especially the ones living in Boston proper. I know when my family goes to Fenway they take the train. It just makes things that much easier. Heck if they had access to Revs games from South Attleboro, I'd take it regardless of who came with me. There's something to be said for being able to enjoy a train ride without worrying about traffic or yelling at the kids in the rearview.

So you are right that families don't *need* the MBTA, but I tend to think that it would be greatly utilized by them if it was an option.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, meant South Station.

And Steve, we're not talking about having the public transportation for Revs games, but for the Mall itself.

18. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    and that is why we were 11th out of 12 in attendence...YAY!

19. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then the revs don't fully understand what their audience really is and are putting too many eggs in 1 basket

Look at season tix. How many are families of four? How many are singles or pairs?

For a family of four to lay out season tix is over a grand and means about 15 weekends are tied up during the summer (when people vacation, travel, other comittments, etc.). Really, how many families are going to do this? Seriously? Kids have baseball, soccer, gymnastics, piano lessons, summer camps and 1000000 other things that compete. Season tixs are not an easy comittment to make for families.

How many college students, immigrants, who like soccer, live in Boston with no trasnportation to get to games and would like to go? I bet this number is larger.

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

I'm just stating the Revs target market.

21. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That being said I'm a bit surprised that they haven't tried to cross-promote with another family-based sports team in the area. Tons of families attend the PawSox games. If we could get some of them interested in the Revs, then we'd be catering to the F.O.

22. bstorm83

bstorm83 New Member

May 27, 2007
    Chicopee
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monorail Monorail Monorail

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awe-inspiring. It'd defeat the Turnpike Authority's plan for a subterranean commute in Boston, but screw them. Monorail lines would be freakin amazing.

24. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange that the Pats train to Foxboro is always packed with families...

And you can add me to the list of people who have heard "I'd come to games but I have no car/way to get there" in excess of 1,000 times. I hear it 5 times a day at my job alone.

25. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Foxboro "station" is only used on Patriots game days because it's a freight line, not a passenger line. Kraft probably paid off the MBTA bigtime to get as much as he's gotten for the Patriots fans.