Famous person is dead. R.I.P. [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by That Phat Hat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I prefer to remember him for Uneasy Rider, which was a lot less political/nationalistic than he got later. I don't know which was the real Charlie.

superdave and Gittnbizzee repped this.
  2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'd go with his work as Dylan's bassist of choice in Nashville in 69-70.

Plus the production of the Youngbloods' greatest album, "Elephant Mountain"

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll have to YouTube more of Dylan's music. As famous as he is, I admit that I don't know a lot of stuff by him. But what I've heard doesn't call for greatness/chops on the part of any of his musicians. Sort of like Anthony Jackson on Paul Simon's Slip Sliding Away. I mean, AJ made For The Love Of Money and Chaka Khan's Ain't Nobody, but there are a lot of guys who could have played with Paul, or with Paul and Art.

I'll put that on the increasingly long list of stuff I need to check out.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, you understand, the Charlie Daniels Band was responsible for the all-time worst show I ever paid for. Don't even remember what year or album, but some friends had been badgering me that his was the next great band, and I was bored, so I went.

They played the current album I'd heard on radio and in the record store of choice-- note for note AFAICT, and in a pretty perfunctory fashion. So I'll take whatever respectable stuff he did before he went full cracker...

That show depressed me so much that the next night I went to the feminist coffeehouse in town and made a point of putting the same amount I paid for CDB in the tip jar of the earnest 20 year-old playing pretty decent versions of English folk songs in a fashion that suggested she'd be good someday.
    I needed to feel clean again...

(I particularly liked that she closed with "Matty Groves" and made a big line out of its last-- "A grave, a grave, Lord Arnold cried/ to put these lovers in/ but bury my lady ON THE TOP, for she was of noble kin.")

crazypete13 and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 year old superdave bought that single.

In his later years he became fanatically anti-abortion.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Judy Dyble 71, "longstanding illness"

[​IMG]

Original singer, Fairport Convention...

crazypete13 repped this.
  8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wim Suurbier
    Wingback for those great Ajax and Oranje teams of the 1970s.
    Aged 75

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Kelly Preston died of breast cancer. She was 57.

falvo repped this.
  10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I have it on good authority that the last Squirrel Nut Zippers fan has died.

chad repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Naya Rivera's body was finally found yesterday. She drowned in a lake. She was most known for her role on Glee.

Grant Imahara known for Mythbusters has died at 49.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If you have children very likely you've come across her books ...

Author Joanna Cole, whose “Magic School Bus” books transported millions of young people on extraordinary and educational adventures, has died at age 75.

Scholastic announced that Cole, a resident of Sioux City, Iowa, died Sunday. The cause was idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

“Joanna Cole had the perfect touch for blending science and story,” Scholastic Chairman and CEO Dick Robinson said in a statement Wednesday. “Joanna’s books, packed with equal parts humor and information, made science both easy to understand and fun for the hundreds of millions of children around the world who read her books and watched the award-winning television series.”

A lifelong fan of science, Cole was a native of Newark, New Jersey, and a graduate of the City College of New York who worked as a children’s librarian and magazine editor before “The Magic School Bus.”

https://wtop.com/national/2020/07/magic-school-bus-author-joanna-cole-dies-at-age-75/

Val1 and Len repped this.
  13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu, sitruc and falvo repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green

[​IMG]

18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Damn, RIP Peter

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Two weeks later, still brooding about the fact that there was no God, I woke up one morning and thought, 'That’s absolutely wonderful that Hattie got the award!' Hattie deserved it and she got it," de Havilland told the Associated Press in 2004. "I thought I’d much rather live in a world where a Black actress who gave a marvelous performance got the award instead of me."

RIP

Len and crazypete13 repped this.
  20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #3071 riverplate, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    [​IMG]

John Saxon, 'Enter the Dragon' & 'Nightmare on Elm Street' Actor, Dies at 83
    - Hollywood Reporter
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...gon-nightmare-elm-street-actor-was-83-1095778
    John Saxon, the rugged actor who kicked around with Bruce Lee in "Enter the Dragon" and appeared in three "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies for director Wes Craven, died Saturday. He was 83. Saxon died of pneumonia in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

His portrayal of a brutal Mexican bandit opposite Marlon Brando in "The Appaloosa" (1966) earned him a Golden Globe nomination, and he had a recurring role on ABC's "Dynasty" as Rashid Ahmed, a powerful Middle East tycoon who romanced Alexis Colby (Joan Collins). And on another 1980s primetime soap, CBS' "Falcon Crest," he played the father of Lorenzo Lamas' character.

He played a police chief who makes a fatal mistake in the Canadian cult classic "Black Christmas" (1974), featuring Margot Kidder and Keir Dullea, and his horror résumé also includes two films for Roger Corman: "Queen of Blood" (1966) and "Battle Beyond the Stars" (1980), playing a tyrannical warlord.

In Warner Bros.' "Enter the Dragon" (1973), Bruce Lee's first mainstream American movie and last before his death at age 32, Saxon portrayed Roper, a degenerate gambler who participates in a martial arts tournament. In real life, his fighting skills did not approach those possessed by Lee and another co-star, karate champion Jim Kelly.

Saxon played the cop Donald Thompson in the first and third films in the "Nightmare on Elm Street" franchise, where he's eventually killed by Freddy Krueger's skeleton. He then returned to play a version of himself in "New Nightmare" (1994).

Saxon co-starred with James Stewart in "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" (1962) and Clint Eastwood in "Joe Kidd" (1972). His film résumé also included Vincente Minnelli's "The Reluctant Debutant" (1958), Mario Bava's "Evil Eye" (1963), Otto Preminger's "The Cardinal" (1963), "Night Caller from Outer Space" (1965), "Raid on Entebbe" (1977), "Cannibal Apocalypse" (1980), Dario Argento's "Tenebre" (1982), Richard Brooks' "Fever Pitch" (1985), "Beverly Hills Cop III" (1994) and "From Dusk Till Dawn" (1996).

He appeared multiple times on episodes of "Bonanza," "Gunsmoke," "Fantasy Island" and "Murder, She Wrote."

[​IMG]

Len, TimB4Last and Slatesoccer repped this.
  21. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dr. Wankler and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Len repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Wilford Brimley died. I assume it's because he had diabetes.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read kidney failure...….

upload_2020-8-2_5-41-0.png