Famous person is dead. R.I.P. [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by That Phat Hat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I guess it is. Must have miscounted the tuning keys.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, basses sometimes have five and six or more strings themselves- drives illiterate guitards crazy.
    But I recognize that particular style. Tele shape dates back to the early 50s.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #3029 riverplate, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Herb Stempel and John Turturro, who portrayed him in the 1994 film "Quiz Show"

Herb Stempel, Whistleblower in the 1950s Quiz Show Scandals, Dead at 93
    - Hollywood Reporter
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...lower-1950s-quiz-show-scandals-was-93-1099370

Herb Stempel, the contestant on NBC's "Twenty-One" who helped expose the rigged television quiz shows of the 1950s after he was "defeated" by Charles Van Doren, has died. He was 93. Stempel, portrayed by John Turturro in the 1994 docudrama "Quiz Show," directed by Robert Redford, died April 7.

As a bespectacled Bronx native with an IQ of 170, Stempel appeared on "Twenty-One," hosted by Jack Barry, for six weeks in 1956, winning $49,500. He later said that he was given all the questions and answers in advance by Dan Enright, a producer and co-creator of the show, and knew the eventual outcome of every game he participated in — including the one in which he would lose to the photogenic Van Doren. Stempel said he was particularly embarrassed in his matchup with Van Doren when, after being asked to name the winner of the 1955 Oscar for best picture, he followed orders and replied "On the Waterfront" when he knew the correct answer was "Marty," which he had already seen three times.

When he learned that he was going to face Van Doren — a clean-cut Columbia University professor and member of a prominent New York literary family — Stempel knew his "goose was cooked." He was correct. Enright informed him that "Twenty-One" ratings were "going south, and we feel it's time for somebody else to take your place." With an estimated 50 million people tuning in, Stempel and Van Doren met on Nov. 28, 1956, and, after a couple of tie games, Stempel was dethroned the following week. Van Doren kept winning until March 11, 1957, and would make the cover of Time magazine.

Stempel said he considered pulling a double cross but "took a dive" to Van Doren because Enright had promised him a job as a question consultant for $250 a week on "Twenty-One" as well as a gig as a permanent panelist on another game show, "High Low." When it became clear that Enright would not honor his end of the bargain, Stempel contacted several newspaper reporters and then the Manhattan district attorney, and soon the infamous quiz show scandal was off and running, with Congress getting involved.

Van Doren — who won $128,000 on "Twenty-One" and parlayed that success into jobs at NBC as a White House correspondent and as a cultural reporter on the "Today" show — insisted for months that everything had been on the up and up, at least for him. Eventually, though, he did admit to lying, and his TV career was ruined.

Len and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  7. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #3032 Len, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    James "Slim" Hand - 1952 - June 8, 2020

This performance is from February at the Ameripolitan Awards Show in Memphis. I'm not sure how famous he is outside a small circle within classic country music, but we ended up - just by chance - sitting across from him at Hernando's at the After-Show party later that night and he spent waaaay more time talking and laughing with us (trust me, we are absolutely nobody) than he needed to.

RIP

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Vera Lynn at 103

"We are incredibly sad to hear of the passing of Dame Vera Lynn, an unforgettable British icon, a symbol of hope to the Armed Forces Community past and present. Our thoughts are with her loved ones."

Dame Vera, who had sold more than a million records by the age of 22, was also remembered for singing The White Cliffs Of Dover, There'll Always Be An England, I'll Be Seeing You, Wishing and If Only I Had Wings.

Her wartime classic We'll Meet Again was referenced by the Queen in April during a speech to Britons who were separated from families and friends during the coronavirus lockdown.

The late singer's daughter, Virginia Lewis-Jones, said she was proud of the difference her mother made through her charity work.

She said the Dame Vera Lynn Children's Charity, which her mother founded to help young children with cerebral palsy, "always held a very special place in her heart".

HerthaBerwyn and riverplate repped this.
  9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Vera Lynn & Dr. Strangelove...

Dr. Wankler and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Ian Holm, Who Played Lear and a Hobbit, Dies at 88
    - Variety
    https://variety.com/2020/film/global/ian-holm-dead-bilbo-baggins-lord-of-the-rings-1234642549/
    Ian Holm, the classically trained Shakespearean actor best known to film audiences for his performances in films including the “Lord of the Rings” and “Hobbit” movies, “Chariots of Fire” and “Alien,” has died. He was 88. The actor had been battling Parkinson’s Disease for a number of years.

Holm, who was celebrated for interpretations of most of the Shakespeare canon, including a towering “King Lear,” also excelled onstage in the original production of Harold Pinter’s “The Homecoming,” which he also brought to Broadway. He began working in films only midway through his career. Holm first achieved mainstream notice for his work as an android in 1979’s “Alien” and as the Olympic trainer Sam Mussabini in 1981’s “Chariots of Fire.”

Over the next decade the roles became larger and more distinctive, including Napoleon in “Time Bandits,” Polonius in Zeffirelli’s “Hamlet” alongside Mel Gibson, Captain Fluellen in Kenneth Branagh’s “Henry V,” as well as turns in “Dreamchild,” “Brazil,” “Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes,” “Wetherby,” “Dance With a Stranger” and Woody Allen’s “Another Woman.”

During the ’90s he had meaty starring roles in Steven Soderbergh’s “Kafka” and David Cronenberg’s “Naked Lunch” as well as in Nicholas Hytner’s “The Madness of King George,” Branagh’s “Frankenstein” and “The Fifth Element.”

In his 70s Holm continued to show up in high-profile films — none more high profile than the “Lord of the Rings” movies, in which he played Bilbo Baggins. He was a sadistic doctor in the Hughes brothers’ “From Hell,” with Johnny Depp, and played meteorologists in Roland Emmerich’s disaster epic “The Day After Tomorrow” and Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator.”

Holm was remarkably versatile and, despite his short stature, rarely limited in his selection of roles. He was very much an actor’s actor, too chameleon-like to have a strong star impact. In 1998, he received his knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II for his contribution to drama.

Dr. Wankler and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RIP Jim Kiick (August 9, 1946 - June 20, 2020)

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu, Len and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Contributor to one of my favorite books when I was a kid.
    [​IMG]

"Who are these guys?"

"Get the hat, Csonk!"

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GOODBYE, KEN: Snow, former Indiana standout ...

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu, HerthaBerwyn and Len repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Somehow I didn't realize Joel Schumacher was 80. He died.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Conservative church bomber Thomas Blanton died in prison today.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Just last month I introduced my kids to "The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming," which I hadn't seen for ages.

21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    riverplate and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Charlie Daniels - 83

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RIP!

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu and Len repped this.
  25. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    In the first song the Devil got jobbed by the judges. I mean Roy Jones Jr. Robbed. Presbyterian predetermination officiating robbed. However, Ole' Scratch got a second shot. This time there was no doubt. Devil got his ass kicked so hard his fiddle turned to ash. You gon back to hell now you old Devil.