famous COVID-19 deaths

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    FLMan ain't wearing no mask

1274360580070092800 is not a valid tweet id

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trump will say he's a fine man.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    World's number 1 Tennis player Novak Djokovic tests positive for the coronavirus.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020/06/world-no-1-novak-djokovic-tests-positive-coronavirus/89329/

I love sports. But, maybe it's too soon, to bring sports back?

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah maybe. What I wonder when reading this is that you get some tennis players together for a few days, they all infect each other. Meanwhile Pence and Trump traipse around a WH that is strewn with COVID-19 cases and they're doing just fine.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In Spanish we have a saying, "Yerba mala nunca muere". (Bad weeds never die).

7. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding...talk about a teflon presidency!

As for the sports, I really think football seasons across each spectrum of play will be negatively impacted this fall. Until there is a reliable vaccine for this strain of virus, sports will never be the same, if they are played at all. You're seeing cases crop up with college football players, baseball and basketball players from MLB and NBA. I don't see how they can manage, even if front of no fans. Things seem to be going alright in Germany, Italy, and England, but it's still too early to tell if soccer players there are infected and to which degree. Nick Watney tested positive for COVID-19 prior to last weekend's PGA tour stop in South Carolina and went home to quarantine himself.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Nobody dead yet....

But Djokovic, whom I used to really like, has turned into an incredibly privileged asshole. Has an antivaxxer. He thinks he walks on water. He's great at tennis. Sucks at being a decent human being.

crazypete13 and sitruc repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Ken Snow :cry:

He was Alexi Lalas, Jovan Kirovski, Landon Donovan of his day.

The one thing I really hope happens is that US Soccer will treat these pioneers right. The guys who built the foundation of the game going back 30 years ago when there were almost no opportunities for young American players. I don't begrudge today's rookies who make 100K, but if it wasn't for the struggles of Snow and all the guys like him, none of this would be possible

NORML, luftmensch, spejic and 2 others repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, you are cruel!;)
    Is there a bigger insult than calling someone the "Alexi Lalas" of his day.
    (I guess calling someone the "Carlos Ruiz" of ANY day).

Really, I remember Ken Snow from my indoor-watching days, when he played for the Chicago Power.
    I still have a Chicago Power mini soccer ball with Pato Margetic's signature.

RIP, Ken Snow.

MattR repped this.
  11. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Baltimore Blast!

No, I'm not excited, I just think you're supposed to include the exclamation point.

xtomx repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Lalas was pretty well-regarded in his pre-MLS days. He was the first American to play in Serie A, can speak Italian, and was a pretty good player in the Nats team. He scored against England at Foxboro and slid in front of the England bench and, since it was the second goal, he showed them that many fingers! Then, once MLS started, he (and a lot of the other Class of 94) turned to utter crap. Tony Meola was really the only one who had a good MLS career--all the rest of them were content with being "stars" even though by their play, they were not even close to the best MLS players of the day.

luftmensch and blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am Italian and I distinctly remember that, in the first season that he played in Padova, Alexi Lalas was one of the reason why his team barely avoided relegation.

luftmensch repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was one of the reasons they were close, or one of the reasons they weren't relegated?

onefineesq repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Back to Snow... he was a clinical finisher and obviously has heaps of talent to get the accolades he did in college. But I do think his game was much better suited to college, indoor or “mainstay MLS status” than being one of the better domestic MLS guys or a core spot on the national side. He was king of like the Müller or Klose of college soccer. The two guys from that IU vintage who always struck me as having the best shot at MLS (if it was around) stardom or a regular spot with the US were Ken’s little brother Steve and Chad Deering.

Steve was somewhat more limited athletically but he was slippery as hell. Ken might have been the best pure American finisher from the late 80s/early 90s (and I’m including Wynalda there too), but Steve wasn’t too far off. The difference as that Steve was extremely good creatively in tight spaces. With a fully developed squad, I always felt he was good enough to at least be that spark you bring on in the last 20-30 minutes to find a goal. Injuries and attitude hurt his progression.

Deering has better pace and his skill set seemed like it was made for Europe. I always felt like he was somewhere between an Eddie Lewis and Hejduk both athletically and technically at the same age. Clearly people saw it. You don’t get time as an American in the Bubdesliga if they don’t. It just never quite seemed to come together for him. He carved out a pretty solid career, but he didn’t quite get over the hump.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #91 blissett, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Sorry, I am bad as usual at English. :x3: I meant that they barely avoided relegation and that Lalas was one of the reasons why they weren't relegated. He was constantly one of their best defenders and his height was usually very useful in defending CKs and FKs.

Back then I was still following men's soccer (I gave up around 2005-2006 and started following women's soccer instead since 2011): I remember that I had Lalas in my fantasy-soccer team for that season and I never regretted it (I had made a team out of supposed scraps of the market that would have actually revealed excellent instead).

I had assumed it was obvious that Padova was a little team apparently having no business remaining in Serie A, so they were supposed from the start to "barely" avoid relegation, if they ever were to make it!
    They had just been promoted from Serie B the season before and, as a curiosity, in Serie B they were playing a very young Alessandro Del Piero at the beginning of his career, on loan from Juventus.

Dr. Wankler, usscouse, Dyvel and 3 others repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Stop beating yourself up. Your English is far better than the President's.

18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I remember watching Rai every week back then on my 12' satellite dish. After the match it was 90° Minuto with all the recaps. Roby Baggio was and still is my favorite player unless someone mentions Bergkamp...then I waffle. :)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=fRFP4f1p-yU&usg=AOvVaw0NavEXoy8kaI1ouGqKynal

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Lalas, problem wasn’t so much his feet and head. It was his mouth

blissett repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett 2020!!!

xtomx, onefineesq and blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ah, yes, we had got it here in Italy too: Lalas had also become famous here because he had learnt to express himself in "some sort" of Italian, but the problem was that quite often he was carelessly spouting off tremendous prophanities during TV-interviews. At the time we thought the blame was mostly on his team-mates: Padova is in a region of Italy where people use these kind of words in everyday's language probably more often than anywhere else in our country and we figured that they probably hadn't cared to teach Lalas which words weren't appropriate in formal situations.

Now, I have the doubt that it could be that Lalas was ********ing everything up by himself. :cautious:

I'd show you some exemple of that in a video, but I am not sure how much you could appreciate it, guys, if you aren't well versed in Italian prophanities; on the other hand, the reactions between embarass and laughter of the people around him were anyway quite obvious...

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, I'd kindly decline, but now that I think about, against Trump I could even have some chances... :alien:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Xavi has tested positive for coronavirus.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He's alive.