Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Foosinho, Sep 10, 2008.

1. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Isn't it cheaper to just download each add-on separately (5 times $9.99) and the since the GOTY package is about $60?

2. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if you don't have FO3 to begin with it makes sense, but they should offer some sort of bundle discount for those of us who want to pick up all 5.

Otherwise, I will sell back my copy of FO3 and pick up a GOTY edition. It'll actually cost me less that way.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The game costs £30 here in the UK ($47 equivalent)

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallout-3-Game-Year-PS3/dp/B002DMLMIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1255456531&sr=8-1"]Fallout 3 - Game Of The Year Edition (PS3): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games[/ame]

But goes for $56 in USA

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Playstation/dp/B002BXKJ6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1255456549&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition: Playstation 3: Video Games[/ame]

I guess its cheaper over here...
    Though the GOTY edition supposedly comes with afew "fixes" for previous problems..

The GOTY version was released today in North America.
    Aint out until friday over here.

4. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is the GOTY version out for the xbox 360?

I loved fallout 3. I was initially gonna get the extras, but after hearing mixed reviews decided to just leave it.

5. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
  6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The only reservation I have is for Operation Anchorage. The rest have been awesome, and full of the stuff you love Fallout for.

I've been getting the add-ons as the become available in retail stores. I hope that Mothership Zeta is released that way as well eventually.

7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was one add on that sounded brilliant (I forget which one), it allowed you to go to level 30 and finish the game and carry on, aswell as new missions. Then I read that it's really difficult to take advantage of the level 30 if you've done most of the game (original). Well, I've must have done about 90% of it, so that would suck a bit.

As for the other add-ons the main criticisms seemed to be that they were very linear, and the biggest thing for me about the game is the total freedom. So for the price it just didn't seem worth it.

What are the chances of getting the GOTY disc and still using my old saved data....I'm guessing 0%.:(

8. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Nothing wrong with playing the game again from the start.
    Its nice to make different decisions and take afew different paths.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's the point. Only Operation Anchorage was like that. The Pitt, for example, is just a mini Fallout.

10. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I ain't got the time. I must have put at least 70 hours into that game (when you want to find as much as possible without cheating, it's easily done) and probably would get no where near the same enjoyment now that I know what lies behind most corners.

If anybody can give me some advice on the best couple (out of the 5) of add ons to go for, I'll probably do that. I'm mainly looking for the add-on that gives me the same enjoyment of the original (exploring, new gear, new enemies) with as much playing time as possible. Basically, for the prices they're are talking about I don't wanna be ripped off.

11. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    You could always try going for a character with really negative Karma if you made all the "good" choices the first time around.

I spent so much time trying to get every single stat maxed out at 100. Now that it's possible to have every S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attribute maxed out at 10 with the Almost Perfect Perk and the Bobbleheads, I'm seriously debating if I should start over again and do it.

12. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    :eek:
    I'm really surprised to learn that. Does anyone know why you get it for less than us? Is it because your sales taxes are higher or something like that?

13. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    The Broken Steel Add-On allows you to reach level 30. I finished Broken Steel, Operation Anchorage and the Pitt and once that was done, I was probably around level 25. After that I just started finding deathclaws or enclave soliders to kill for 50 xp apiece and I eventually got up to level 30 w/o too much hassle.

14. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, maybe. I yoyo'd to be honest. I had poor Karma through the beginning, because I was so weak and just took (or killed) for what I needed. Then Fawkes wouldn't join me unless I changed my ways. As allies go he's cool so I went the other way. Just don't know if I want to go through it all again when I'm still considering getting Arkham Asylum and Pro evo 10.

I'm not that fussed about maxing it out just for the sake of it. More through longevity and new missions. I'm thinking I'll get Broken steel and the pitt and see how it goes.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broken Steel for sure, because more important than raising the level cap to 30 (you'll get there easy, believe me) it allows you to continue to play with your character.

The Pitt next - it's very "fallout-y", IMO. I loved Point Lookout - it's less like Fallout 3 than The Pitt because it's not in a city or wasteland - it's a swamp. The loot isn't that awesome. But it's hard, and fun.

The next bunch is Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta. I liked both, but not as much as the other three.

16. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for someone who has all the add-ons:

Do they just add more missions and quests, meaning can I take an old save file, and go thru all 5 add-ons in any order I want? Or do I reload that same save file every time to play another Add-On?

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can play them in any order, tho Operation Anchorage is a "single-shot" experience; once you play it, you can't go back into the simulation with the same character. If you have them from the start, several of them are available as soon as you walk out of Vault 101 for the first time (Broken Steel's changes are available immediately - additional enemies, new level cap, etc - but obviously since it tacks some quests on to the end of the main quest, those quests won't be available until you complete the main quest).

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I believe the added sections just become part of the overall fallout world.
    Everything meshes in with the original game. It all fits together...
    Its not like you are loading a completely separate game 5 times.

Might just be that UK amazon offers good deals.
    I think they sell below retail price.

19. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apart from Broken Steel, do you leave the main map for the other add-ons? If so can you go back and forth if you wish?

The reason I ask is because I have tons of weapons, armour and ammo stored in various hideouts (can't carry it all). It's nice to be able to restock on my ammo and armour, considering the hard work I put in getting it all.:)

20. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, and Point Lookout fit into the original game by simply adding some new distress signals and map locations that you can travel to. The Broken Steel add-on is slightly different in the sense that there is no initial distress signal . It just starts when you finish the original story line. I haven't tried Mothership Zeta yet but I'm assuming it's like the first three I mentioned.

21. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    You can't go back and forth as you wish in Operation Anchorage. Operation Anchorage is just a sim like that one level in Fallout 3 where that doctor in the little girl's body is controlling everything.

However you can go back and forth for "the pitt" and "broken steel". You might have to complete main quests in each add-on before you can return to the original Wasteland.

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, on Mothership Zeta you are "stuck" there until you finish the quests (you have, after all, been abducted by aliens; you have to take control of the ship to be able to return!). After that, however, you can return to the ship whenever you want, just as you can freely travel to The Pitt or Point Lookout.

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I should be picking up the GOTY edition tomorrow.

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I have been playing point lookout for the last 2 days.
    Its a great addition to the original game. Though I was shocked at how tough the swamp folk are. They take more damage than the hardest enemies in the original game. I went into the section with high level weapons and armour but got carved up by the swamp dwellers.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^^by swamp do u mean coventry, and by dwellers to u mean chavs?