Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Foosinho, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if you need to complete the game before you can play the Operation Anchorage DLC?

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do not. You could do it fresh out of the vault, AFAIK. It adds a few new locations in the world.

My impressions on Operation Anchorage:

1) Fun. The new quests are fun and challenging, and Anchorage has a distinctly different feel than the Capitol Wasteland. Some of the Chinese soldiers are fiendishly tough. And the battles feel much grander in scale than most of the stuff you encounter in the regular game. There's a whole army of American troops, including a ton in Winterized T-51b power armor.

2) The rewards are good. You can gain access to most of the cool toys found in the simulation out in the real world. The Gauss Rifle is awesome, and you can get one in the Capital Wasteland. w00t!

3) It's reasonably long. And, as I said before, some of the baddies are really tough (the snipers, mostly, partially because they can cloak!). Is it worth 800 points? Yeah, I think it probably is.

4) It was a bit of a letdown to be thrown back into the post-apocalyptic world after experiencing the sim of the war. A good and bad thing, I think.

3. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    DL'ing Operation:Anchorage right now...

4. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Alright so I'm kinda disappointed with the Operation: Anchorage DLC, and I'm also kinda happy with it. :rolleyes:

It's decent fun as a shooter, and I think the new items it adds to the game are a LOT of fun (Chinese Stealth Armor and the General's sword, anyone? :D) but the simulation itself is too linear for my liking when compared with the rest of the game. I also don't like that I can't play through the simulation multiple times with the same character.* I mean, it's essentially a computer game, so why can't I load it up again and play through? I could care less if they don't let you get more XP for playing it through multiple times, but it would be fun to be able to play through, especially the first mission, again.

*If someone knows how to do this, please let me know. I put the neuro suit on and it still said I needed the suit on to enter the simulation.

With all that said, I really hope the upcoming DLC are much larger and less linear than Anchorage was.

5. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The expansion packs are now available in stores.

[​IMG]

6. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about for the xbox 360.:(

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Spejic, did you ever play Mass Effect?

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Turn that :( to a :) because the answer is yes. And ones for the Sony are coming out as well.

There are also two new expansion packs coming out in late summer, one set in a swamp and one set on the mothership for that crashed ufo.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Strangely enough, I bought it but I haven't played it yet.

10. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see it's headed to the PS3 now too. I just picked the game up a week or 2 ago, after playing it at a friend's house. Got hooked immediately.

Now all I gotta do is finish the game, and get all the trophies, then I'll be ready!

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third expansion pack makes some pretty significant changes to the game - including allowing you to play past the ending, and bumping the level cap to 30 and adding additional perks. I'd suggest getting it as soon as you can, rather than waiting until you finish the game.*

In fact, the expansion packs basically plug into the normal game world - they aren't stand-alone.

* - NB, I've not actually played the game in quite a while. I've bought Broken Steel, but I haven't played the game since The Pitt came out.

12. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm doing pretty well right now, and I don't think they're out for PS3 just yet.

I've got a 10 day weekend coming to me in about 5 minutes, so I'm sure I'll be able to finish it up then! :)

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Thought you might like it. It's gameplay does not differ so much from Fallout 3 and it borrows somewhat from Trek (and specifically Khan) for its overall atmosphere.

14. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    operation anchorage ,out late june on ps3.

I see two other add-ons have been announced for xbox and PC.
    The latest one looks hot.

15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I finished the add-ons. Operation Anchorage was short and rather un-Fallout like. It should have been more like the super mutant fighting in and around Downtown DC with regular troops instead of a special forces mission like we got.

But the Pitt was awesome. Well imagined, engaging characters, agonizing choices. They could have done this on the cheap, but it is just as quality as the main game. And they even included benefits for perks like Child at Heart and Black Widow. Climb up on the cooling tower in the Steelyard and you get views that make the top of the Washington Monument look like climbing a short step ladder.

16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hear a Mass Effect sequel is also in the works, with even more complicated moral situations, that starts out where you end in the first game.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, Bioware said that those who played the first game should make sure not to delete their save games since they'll give you the option of starting the sequel with the character you ended up with at the conclusion of the first game.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I've finally gotten a chance to start catching up on the DLC. The Pitt is pretty good; it's more "Fallouty" than Operation Anchorage. Broken Steel is great; I've not even played any of the "main" quests in this yet, but the side quests are good (I've completed all three "Aqua Pura" quests), the raising the level cap is good, and the additional bad guys are good (Super Mutant Overlords are scary as shit - I snuck up on one, and just nuked him in the back, but I rounded a corner on one who I thought would just be a Super Mutant Master and about crapped my pants; my equipped assault rifle won't get the job done! Even with Fawkes, I took a ton of damage before I backed up enough to drop a bottlecap mine in front of the bastard. Very tough.) The Hellfire Enclave troops are tough too (only seen one), and I haven't seen the Albino Radscorpions at all.

I haven't played Point Lookout yet. I think I'm going to finish the main quests of Broken Steel first.

I've soaked nearly 100 hours in on this character, and the game is still fun. What might be a slog is playing again to get all the achievements (the neutral and evil leveling up achievements), which I do want to complete.

19. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy moly, Point Lookout is challenging. Now I understand why there is so much top-shelf loot. I'm so used to having my own personal tank / cargo truck in Fawkes; with him around I can easily mow thru anything. Without him, I can take some serious damage if I'm bum-rushed by several ghoul reavers or those inbred hicks at the same time.

20. muskiesrock35

muskiesrock35 Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Mothership Zeta is out for you XBL hosers.

21. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I downloaded it yesterday, but while I fired up Fallout 3 last night, I chose to wrap up a few odds and ends in Point Lookout. Haven't started Mothership Zeta yet.

TBH, I always struggle with what to take with me on these kinds of "you're stuck there until you finish something" quests. I like to take a variety of weapons, since they fit different niches, but I can't take everything, and I certainly don't want to take a unique weapon if I have to discard it to get something better. And it looks like there will be some pretty cool weapons on Mothership Zeta.

My normal loadout takes up nearly my entire carrying capacity. That's why I like having Fawkes around; I can loot like crazy while still having all of my heavy weapons.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    "game of the year" edition out this week.
    I can finally get to play the PS3 extra content.

23. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the Playstation store right now too. Seems like they have them all, unfortunately each one is $9.99 I think, so it's like buying a whole new game.

I'm gonna wait a while until they bring the prices down and offer a bundle with all of them.

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    The bundled game comes out this week.
    They have also added fixes for afew issues in the GOTY package.
    The bundled GOTY package works out as cheaper than buying the individual DLC's .My copy is already ordered.

25. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    I just downloaded Point Lookout for the PS3 last night. I am experiencing this awful bug where as soon as you pull into Point Lookout the screen starts flickering like crazy as soon as you start heading north. It feels like I'm playing a FPS with a no clipping cheat and I'm in the middle of a wall. The game isn't unplayable but it gets annoying.