Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Foosinho, Sep 10, 2008.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the AK isn't getting the job done against those guys. They can chew you up pretty good, too. A stealth boy, grenades, and some clever ambushes can make quick work out of a crowd of them, tho.

Broken Steel adds in some ridiculously tough enemies too. Before that addon, I feared nothing. I could roam the wasteland a destroyer of worlds. Now? If I don't have Fawkes with me, there are fights I will definitely avoid if possible. Nothing more terrifying than sneaking up on a tent with an assault rifle armed than having a Supermutant Overlord saunter out 5 feet in front of you. I nearly shat myself. I prefer sneak attacks with Fat Boys for the Overlords or Reavers.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

Some of the feral ghouls had outrageous strength.
    It took about 10 missiles with a top conditioned missile launcher to take one of them down.
    I went into point lookout with top condition hellfire armour and I was suddenly getting slaughtered by swamp yokels armed with basic melee weapons.

Though I noted two things about the swamp folk.
    They have a weakness to plasma rifles and being hit on the arms.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is partially from a bug - when those guys start shaking, they are impervious to any weapons. But even without the bug those guys are the worst. Fast, vicious, and turn the seat of my pants brown scary. Make sure you have lots of room behind you, retreat, and drop bottlecap mines. If you run out of room, get ready to reload from your last saved position.
    Everything born of flesh has a weakness to plasma rifles. I like plasma rifles.

5. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Don't you guys use VATS with the Grim Reaper's Sprint perk? If you aim for the head and get some decent Criticals you can kill a person and then refresh your AP.

It's also funny to reverse-pickpocket frag grenades onto unsuspecting yokels.

I really liked The Pitt and Point Lookout. Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta were too straightforward for me but at least Broken Steel had some new Perks.

I'm trying to replay the game and creating a perfect character with every S.P.E.C.I.A.L attribute maxed out to 10 and every skill maxed out to 100.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late to the party here, but I had an impulse buy yesterday ... Fallout 3 GOTY Edition. As soon as I finish up AC2 I'll fire this up.

As for RPGs, how would this compare to the likes of Mass Effect?

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fallout 3 is way better. It's far more expansive and immersive, the system dealing with weapons and other inventory items isn't confusing, and I like the combat system far more.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the bleating from the guys over at No Mutants Allowed, Fallout 3 was a better game than Mass Effect. I haven't played ME2 yet, but there were many small annoyances with ME1, and the "skill tree" and character development were very shallow compared to FO3. And ME1 was much more of a "FPS" style game than Fallout 3, which was the ridiculous assertion by Fallout 3 haters (that it was a first-person shooter). VATS is pretty awesome, because it makes shots character skill, not player skill.

ME1's item management blew chunks. If my inventory was full, the only option I had was to covert new items to omnigel, even if they were better than stuff I already had. And it took forever to manage inventory. Annoying.

9. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only issue with the GOTY edition was the major slowdown/crashes I got later in the game as the save files grew to over 15 megs each.

Just to make sure that was the issue, I started fresh and it worked wonderfully.

That aside, it was one of the best games I've ever played. Looking forward to their next release.

10. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Much better than Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 2... it's hard to compare them, as they're very different games. ME2 is much more linear, but it's also much more of a rollercoaster ride.

11. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Here's how I see it:

- The playing style is completely different...and yet the same. The schematic of Fallout is complex but not that much when it comes to fighting stats. In fact, one needs to rely heavily on Pip-Boy to not waste ammo or to get out of tough situations. Just drastically improve one out of 3 weaponry related stats and you'll do good. In M2, the Pip-Boy is to cover and then shoot. All the time, barely making use of the sniper rifle, submachine gun or the heavy pistol.
    Meaning, both games are like duck hunt and the battle system is very easy to go through. Fallout have the nicest feats and M2 the better flow. Slight advantage to the first.

- When it comes to dialogues, hands down, M2 takes it. Fallout is certainly a sterile world but I would of expect that the team would take the argumentation from the previous versions and make it more credible. In fact, not only they failed on that but also on equalizing the absurd fun of the classics.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    UPDATE: This game completely sucks for classic gamers. Some things just don't add up (200 years and still talking like the bombs dropped last week? still using caps as a currency? the GECK quest again? back to the slums?) and this pale copy can't be considered a sequel. It's nothing other than to recapitulate things with a 3d engine. Fortunately these new players in the Fallout universe will be able to experience what they've been missing when Fallout: New Vegas comes out (or so I hope so).

But let's take away the universe per se. This isn't to say that the game isn't good. It is. The VATs system was well thought, the trade is more stimulating (due to inumerous resources) and the world paths/locations were smartly built. There are, however, major flaws that can't be ignored:

- VATs is not ideal for melee, or the developers cut that fighting category off or drastically improve it. Its use (of the system), even though interesting, becomes boring after relying on it so much.

- As for the world, the NPCs are incredibly devoid of anything interesting and soon enough I wonder why the heck am I going through the sidequests. The humor is not there and the dialogue lines are boring and repetitive. Also not very fond of locations design and their dimension but perhaps that's being too picky.

I hope they work with Obsidian in Fallout 4.

13. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that annoyed me about this game (besides the lockups and slowdown in the GOTY edition) was the voices. Outside of a few main characters, it seemed 9 out of 10 NPC's had the exact same voice actor.