PBP: Fall Series 2020, Week 5

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    83' 4-1 Groom turns at 24m mid-left, chips down mid-left to 4m -- and continues her own run down left post lane, with Evans chasing but never able to close the gap. Fields chases it down and turns away through 2m box left, dribbles up wide left. Drop pass to K.Mewis cutting through 10m box left, alone to 5m mid-left. Simple cross to 4m 1/4 left, Groom hops facing ball and does a left instep flick-behind through her own wicket, flat across mouth into right side netting. K.Mewis has a goal and three assists :notworthy:

85' 4-1 Houston subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (2 of 5) #7 Katherine Stengel for #12 Veronica Latsko.

85' 4-1 North Carolina subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (4 of 5) #30 Arianna Romero for #25 Meredith Speck. Romero's 1st cap against Houston :giggle:
    - (5 of 5) #26 Sinclaire Miramontez (1st cap!) for #21 Cari Rocarro. This isn't Sydney, it's Sydney's sister :)

88' 4-1 Houston subs in { 3rd of 3 }:
    - (3 of 5) #11 Megan Oyster for #23 Ally Prisock
    - (4 of 5) #4 Maegan Kelly for #8 Nichelle Prince
    - (5 of 5) #10 Christine Nairn for #19 Kristie Mewis.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+3' (of +5') 4-1 NC cross from box right, Debinha settles at 7m 1/5 left, taps right instep to left post low -- juuust wide left. Sometimes the sitters are the hardest ones to finish, because you have enough time to change your mind twice.

FT 4-1. Maybe Houston is the big, bad wolf in the woods. Realistically, this NC roster are full of players getting valuable minutes.
    • Houston's 1st-ever(?!) win vs. North Carolina
    • North Carolina's 1st-ever 3-goal loss
    • Houston's 3rd-straight 3-goal game (3-4 vs. NC, 3-1 vs. Orlando, and this)
    Houston 11(7)-(2)11 shots(sog), 12-3 corners, 20-14 crosses vs. 15-14 clearances, 6-4 offsides, 8-6 fouls, 53% possession.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game, but wasn't posting here. But, I'll just sum it up by saying that Houston was out to show that they're the real deal. And I think that's still true even if NC Courage isn't at full strength. Kristie Mewis has elevated her game.

Also they mentioned that this is the first time NC Courage has lost by more than 2 goals.

59Amerinorsk and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am impressed. Of course NC Courage are missing some key players, but aren't Houston Dash missing some important ones too (namely: Rachel Daly)?

And anyway, last year Courage shouldn't have realistically lost to Houston by a 3 goal margin in any condition.

We're going to see what happens next season, but apparently "the game that didn't happen" during Challenge Cup showed that Houston Dash's win wasn't a fluke (if anyone had doubts) and was quite legitimate instead. Not sure if they're really up there with a "full-strength" NC Courage, but they shrugged off an off-season version of them quite easily. In my opinion they deserve to be considered one of the main contenders for next year's title.

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I had given up on Kristie Mewis and Shea Groom ever becoming more than slightly better than average players, but they have risen mightily this year. As has Sophie Schmidt who I never considered to be special in any way. Naughton has been an excellent acquisition at center back.

Of course, Houston's triumph must be qualified by the fact that North Carolina had only three starters among its field players in this match. But still, missing Daly, Houston put on a great show.

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I watched n watched again but I couldnt tell how Groom scored that goal. Did the ball go in front of her or between her legs when she used her left foot's in-step behind her right leg to flick it in? That was a special goal. Groom has scored some really pretty goals this year.

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.