Fall Series 2020 Week 1

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Sep 4, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only have one game in Week 1, but just for consistency, I'm labelling it that way. :)

Saturday, Sept 5 at 1 pm ET: Washington Spirit vs Sky Blue FC at Washington's Segra Field (on CBS, CBS All Access, and Twitch)

Injury Report:

CoachJon repped this.
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am almost sorry to say but I am finding it impossible to get excited at all about the so called "season." I know they are trying but, judging by their made up tournament all we will have is a lot of boring matches and we will be missing many top players that have moved on to leagues that are taking the matches seriously.

I wish the best to the NWSL but I am not continuing my subscription to CBS All Access because I do not find value, for me, in it.

I also guess this is a farewell to the many people I have interacted with on these forums. It is just not fun anymore and if it is not fun it is not worth spending my time on.

The current soccer culture has just ruined the sport for me and the NWSL has done much to feed that feeling. Of course the MLS and all the European leagues have done even more.

I may, if it becomes allowable, attend some local soccer matches to try to recapture the magic but I am just about totally burnt out on the pro game and it will take time, maybe a lot of time, for me to really want to watch matches again.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Please, don't go! :cry:

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sorry to hear you think soccer culture has pushed you away and made you disinterested. You bring detailed posts often, but it's also been clear this summer you haven't been satisfied with much. Hopefully you come back around in the future and can enjoy the growth of the league and everyone around it.

In the meantime, I'm immensely glad to have even more soccer to watch and more chances to cheer on my teams. Not only was DC/NJ supposed to be the opening match of the season on CBS, making it a nice callback to the original TV deal, but it's a low-key historical rivalry that has some unfinished business this season with a PKSO in the Challenge Cup QFs that DC need to get revenge for. :cool:

Settled in with a nice drink and CBS on TV and ready to go! Segra field looks nice; I haven't been there yet before but probably will be next year.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    First real shot of the game from Sky Blue at 8'; not a hard save but not an easy one either from Bledsoe

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ooooooof near disaster for NJ as the GK passes to a defender who mishandles it; DC attacker basically had an open net from distance but put it over

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    DC having generally better possession and pressure, but NJ doing well at quickly moving the ball up field when they get the opportunity and getting shots off.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Onumanu beats Bledsoe and makes her slip up, but can't get a good shot and DC defenders clear it.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    (I am now suddenly made aware that I haven't eaten lunch yet; no PBP for a bit)

blissett repped this.
  10. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This feels like an early afternoon college game with not too many people in attendance. All you hear are the players and coaches.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Bad giveaway attempting to play out of the back and NJ scores with a strong shot.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And of course I missed the goal X'-D

That's an interesting point; CBS isn't laying on fake crowd noise for viewers now like they did in the Challenge Cup. I wonder who made that call.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    omg I hear the Spirit Squadron in attendance! Though it kinda sounds like they're chanting and drumming from the parking lot. :ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey, soccer again! I like it better without the phony fan noise. Players I've liked so far: Flores and Purce for Sky Blue, Sanchez for Washington.

blissett repped this.
  15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record:

18' 0-1 Onumonu catches Staab turning, steals and shoots over Bledsoe into right 90. Looks like Staab tried a drag-left, but Onumonu anticipated it and put her foot there. Sometimes the bull does win.

HT 0-1.

lil_one and Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...not sure I like how aggressive and abrasive Burke is sounding... >.> <.<

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    46' 0-1 Washington subs in { 0th of 3 }:
    - (1 of 5) #26 Meghan McCool for #2 Ashley Sanchez.

46' 0-1 Sky Blue subs in { 0th of 3 }:
    - (1 of 5) #8 Erika Skroski for #22 Mandy Freeman.

51' 0-1 Good one-touch inside-out pass sends Flores to 2m wide right, a bit too wide for her to collect in stride. Flores faces off 1-v-1 with Jacobs, pokes ball past but Jacobs intercepts, boxes her out, wins a strength duel and clears.

58' 0-1 Sky Blue cross from ~arc top box left, Nielsen(?) heads ball straight up to 15m left post. Woldmoe turns back to goal, tries a bicycle kick to raucous applause, never got hips high enough to generate downward angle, launches it well over.

59' 0-1 Washington subs in { 1st of 3 }:
    - (2 of 5) #7 Jaye Boissiere for RB #5 Brooke Hendrix (jammed right leg).

61' 0-1 Sky Blue subs in { 1st of 3 }:
    - (2 of 5) #11 Mallory Pugh for #17 Dominique Richardson. Pugh's 1st cap with Sky Blue.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' 0-1 Sky Blue subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (3 of 5) #5 Nicole Baxter for #6 Jennifer Cudjoe.

71' 0-1 McCool receives at box top mid-left, momentary window closes. She cuts centerward, ball poked away. McCool has looked active in her 26' of action.

75' 0-1 Hatch receives through circle top, turns away, passes to Bailey(?) through box top right. Bailey turns inward and walks right into defensive pressure, Woldmoe comes back through own box top and takes ball right off her foot.

76' 0-1 Off that outlet, Purce counters through circle left, passes inside-out to Pugh at 30m wide left. Pugh drives down box left, cuts inside to 12m left post, shoots right instep pull to left post low but gets only 2/3 power, Bledsoe dives and catches.

77' 0-1 2H hydration break.

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 0-1 Washington subs in { 1st of 3 }:
    - (3 of 5) #16 Averie Collins for #33 Ashley Hatch
    - (4 of 5) #6 Katie McClure for #17 Kumi Yokoyama.

82' 0-1 Dougherty Howard longball from circle left, McClure times it perfectly and leaves Flores behind. McClure touches alone through box top mid-left to 10m mid-left, shoots right instep to left post low, Sheridan kick-saves.

83' 0-1 Purce passes behind Onumonu at circle top box left. Onumonu turns ccw, passes to Sanchez cutting center-to-left through 25m left post. Sanchez drives 1-v-1 alongside Boisierre through arc left to 6m 5-left, shoots left instep, Boisierre blocks it over endline left. They've done this before, UCLA vs. Stanford :p

84' 0-1 Washington subs in { 2nd of 3 }:
    - (5 of 5) #18 Jessie Scarpa for #8 Meggie Dougherty Howard.

blissett repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    DC get a penalty and bury it past Sheridan despite her PK voodoo record, all level at 1-1

Moments later, Pugh beats Bledsoe but hits the post, and it's cleared

Then Purce buries one on basically the very next sequence to put NJ back ahead!

Craziness

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    87' 0-1 #_ fires a ground pass through box top left post behind Scarpa's run -- but ball rattles past Skrosi's right leg, spins centerward. Scarpa veers to ball, Skroski lunges backward and clips Scarpa's left foot, Scarpa sprawls. Sheridan comes out to spot, McCool clatters directly into her chest and flattens her. Foul, pk, Sheridan stays down for brief treatment.

89' 1-1 Nielsen pk, right instep to back left low, past Sheridan's dive.

blissett repped this.
  22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A pretty decent match, all things considered. Got to see lots of new players.
    Pugh and Purce are a scary fast pair for Skyblue. Shall we nickname them peepee? No! Add in Monaghan, who is a sparkplug on the left flank, and you've got some impressive scoring potential.

Sky Blue looked like the better prepared team to me, but several newbies for Washington looked pretty good. McCool was active, Boissier is the energizer bunny.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+1' (of +6') 1-1 Woldmoe dinks a short forward pass through 25m mid-left, Pugh somehow runs right past Washington's high-but-tired line and collects in stride. Bledsoe charges out to 10m 6-left, Pugh rounds her to a tight angle at 4m mid-left, shoots left instep off left post low, ball bounces straight out to 6-top left post, Nielsen collects. The commentators are just finishing discussing this play, when --

90+2' (of +6' ) 1-2 No, it's not a replay, it's -- the same pattern! Pugh rounds 1 through circle top, lags a perfect pass to circle top. Purce has inside position on Jacobs, outsprints her up centerline and touches to 15m center. Bledsoe steps up to 9m center, Purce flicks right outstep past Bledsoe's left foot, into back right low.

FT 1-2. Fun ending. Pugh-Purce-Onumonu vs. tired legs was a difference-maker.

lil_one and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When I saw the starting lineups with Pugh on the bench, I was thinking "Oh no, she's gonna come in on fresh legs like a wrecking ball late in the game, isn't she?". And she did.

Klingo3034 repped this.