Fall network TV 2013

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by spejic, Sep 12, 2013.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    New network shows start soon. We can talk about how terrible they are here.

Thanks to a preview available to Comcast viewers, we can start with next October's Ironside. And it's terrible. It commits the unpardonable crime of changing the setting from the glorious San Francisco to New York City. Like the original, Ironside surrounds himself with a pair of pretty boys and a blond. In the 1970's that meant suits. Now it means dressing like a bum with hair that looks like it hasn't seen a barber or a comb in two years.

But worst of all, it replaces the intellect of the original with endless casual police brutality. The opening bit was just incredible - in order to "legally" be allowed to beat information out of a suspect, Ironside gives him a knife and convinces him to start a knife fight. Blair Underwood is way, way too good an actor for this. And it's sad because the show gives him a few moments to shine, and it's clear he's in a different league than everyone else (except his commanding officer, the only character I liked).

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for this!

3. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 'nuff said

Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yup, unless things change that's the one new show that has me intrigued.
    BTW, with "How I met your mother" going into its final season, has there been any talk of the possibility of Cobie Smulders joining the SHIELD cast?

5. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The journey of Sleepy Hollow:

5 minutes before it starts: I'm not going to watch it. What a stupid idea.
    it starts: I'm in the middle of fixing something. I'll just leave it on.
    5 minutes in: These characters seem cool. Maybe it's like Buffy - purposefully stupid idea well executed.
    15 minutes in: Orlando Jones! I love Orlando. This is looking good.
    30 minutes in: No. No. Oh Zeus, no. They explain the mythology, and it's stupid.
    40 minutes in: Even worse. They reveal all the sides, and it's beyond stupid. It's insulting.
    it ends: I'm not watching that again.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been saying that for the past 10 weeks watching 'Under The Dome'. But it's culminated with my post here...

So maybe people shouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement ;)

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking for ward to Last Tango in Halifax and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. My wife handed me a grid with all of the Fall shows on it, and I circled four - these two plus Parks and Rec and The Amazing Race.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Blacklist is strange. The whole premise is that intelligence is hard to get, so they have to depend on a most wanted criminal to get it, yet the episode is full of people knowing stuff that is impossible to know and doing stuff impossible to do in the time required. Spader is so good that I will keep watching, but everything else is so bad I can see myself stopping eventually.

But the bit at the end does give me a glimmer of hope.

9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Blacklist got a lot better the second episode. This is the best new show of the year, no doubt. The line of the episode is when Spader says the FBI is working for him - because they are and they don't know it. I still don't like the casual torture, which seems to be a common practice on television these days.

The Crazy Ones is a total Robin Williams show, so if you like him you will like the show and if you hate him you will hate the show and if you are indifferent the show will make you like him or hate him very quick. But Sarah Michelle Gellar is absolutely phenomenal. Some of the best acting I've seen on television.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    First show to bomb out this season is ABC's Lucky 7 after only 2 episodes. It will be replaced with Scandal repeats. I guess having Agents of SHIELD as a lead-in didn't help.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. I never even heard of Lucky 7.

12. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It should have been canceled sooner. Then more people would have heard of it, and they might have tuned in.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Doesn't SHIELD have very good ratings by ABC standards?

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither have i... but i still can't believe that Dads wasn't the first. awwwwwful... and really embarrassing for ribisi and green.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHIELD has a hit for ABC considering what they had there last year. It's doing very well in that time period. It ranked 2nd last week behind NCIS.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Agents of SHIELD lost about a third of its audience for the 2nd episode. It went from 11.9 million viewers for the premiere down to 8.6 million.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    NBC picked up The Blacklist with James Spader for a full first season 22-episode run.

Sleepy Hollow was renewed by FOX for a second season but not a continuation of the first. This season will have only 13 episodes.

18. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anybody watching Hello Ladies on HBO Sunday nights? It's a Stephen Merchant show and it's hilarious.

19. Goldenbalz

Goldenbalz New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Ladies is a good laugh. The paparazzi guy last night had me belly laughing. Looking forward to the next episode.

Boogie_Down repped this.
  20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Whitechapel is the best thing on TV at the minute.

The combination of the historical aspect of the crimes and the interaction between the investigation team makes for great viewing. It also helps that the investigation team behave in a realistic manner. They all have issues. There are personality clashes and the strain of the work they are involved in impacts on them.

Rupert Penry-Jones and Phil Davis in particular are excellent.

Dante repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm two episodes behind, but I agree, I love Whitechapel. Although I have to say the first two episodes of this season didn't grab me as much as the first season, or the one with the brothers.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have skipped the first two episodes of "Homeland".
    It feels like a chore to return now. I'm out.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched episode two last night, other than the daughter's story line I like where they're going.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    TBF, I was already quite tired of the show by the end of season two.
    No point in sticking by a show you no longer enjoy for any reason.

Ismitje repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've a friend who was a Samaritan volunteer for many years and he said he found the bit where the daughter was explaining why she wasn't going to commit suicide quite moving. She's a decent actress that young lady :)