Fairpark Stadium Picking Up Steam

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by jfranz, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5118828

[Already started in MLS News, but thought a local thread was appropriate]

For a longtime Fairpark supporter, it's all coming full circle.

Please, God, let this happen!

2. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
    From that article:
    I just called the City Council's Office. This will be an open session, open to the public.

Meeting is at 12:15 in the council chambers of the City and County Bldg.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope someone gets video of it. I want to see the RSL supporters verbally beat down any opponents to the stadium plan. Because you know some old anti tax blue hairs will show up.

4. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    We all cheer for The Red Iguana, the Red Iguana, the Red Iguana.

Last season's Morelia - RSL friendly (home team listed first) would have been even more fun to watch at the Fairpark.

5. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    This is at City Hall downtown, right?

Not that County facility down on 2100, right?

6. Merk

Merk Member

Aug 10, 2005
    15th & 15th
    Right. The city and County Building, on 400 South and State.

A correction to my earlier post, the meeting is to be held in Room 326, not the Council Chambers.

7. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
    You people have got to get to this meeting tomorrow and make your voices heard and your presence felt! Take off work however you've got to do it! It's the 11th hour and if I lived anywhere remotely close to Utah, I would be right there supporting you guys!!!! C'mon Salt Lake!

IMO... I think we're going to find out if this team means as much to Checketts as he leads one to believe in light that he's now not going to be getting the massive development.

8. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. This will be very interesting.

9. rslfutbolfan

rslfutbolfan New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Mars w/ Cunny
  10. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Is any deal better than no deal? Perhaps.

The thing that gives me pause, and I'll admit I'm not a SLC or Utah resident though, is the fact that no mixed-use development will be part of this project. I'm guessing that means no dozens of soccer fields around it, for building the youth movement and training players in RSL academies.

I sort of enjoy the idea of having youth playing in the shadow of the stadium, dreaming of someday playing professionally inside. I also think that creating the businesses around the stadium could create a greater mutual relationship between the community and the stadium. Perhaps this can still exist around the fairgrounds. I'm not sure how vast they are or how isolated it will make the stadium compared to the surrounding city. It was described as 10 blocks west of Downtown. Is it really that close?

After the debacle by Sandy, I personally cringe at the thought of them still building the youth soccer fields. I almost want them to go to hell.

Wow, this feels like one of the most speculative and uneducated posts I've made in several years. :confused:

11. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ********ing do IT!

12. rslfutbolfan

rslfutbolfan New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Mars w/ Cunny
    YES it really is 10 blocks from downtown. Very accesible via bus and I believe the city had plans of expanding trax out to the airport anyways and the fairpark would be right on the route. I dont know about the area around the stadium out there but it would be pretty close to where the academy was going to be anyways (someone help me out on this...). It should have been planned downtown from the begining....most of us agreed on that.

And....yes........Sandy....straight to hell boys........

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ok. It fits right in with the whole unholy saga that has been the quest for a stadium here.

14. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My latest blog entry was about the Fairpark. I think it could work, hell, it might have to work.

www.since96.blogspot.com

cup

15. DGNB

DGNB New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    COme on RSL, what ever you guys have to do, get to that meeting. Be so loud and boisterous you get kicked out of that meeting. Fill the hallways. Don't let the council members leave without giving them a letter signed by all pleading for the life of your team. I and all other MLS fans will be cheering you on from afar. (and when it's done, SOMEONE please get on here and let us know how it went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

16. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck guys and I hope that this stadium can be a reality, instead of having your team sold to another city. Unfortunately the folks at Salt Lake County are not visionaries, always expecting the worse and while sticking it to Dave Checketts.

17. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From H-Town, Texas, I wish ya'll all the best with that fairbanks proposal. SLC's city council sounds very serious that they're doing everything they can.

18. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Hee, hee!

OK, so it can be a little cooler here than in Texas.

It's not THAT cold here.

:)

19. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Journalism test tommorow or I would be there in a heartbeat. So if any of you are going to be there please spit on something for me to show them my distaste then make sure we don't leave without a team.

20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I've loved SLC the few times I've been there and I am looking forward to seeing the rapids play there many times. Keep up the good fight.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proposed RSL Academy and youth fields are planned about a mile from the Fairpark location.

So from a technical/team related POV, the Fairpark would work well, even better than Sandy.

However as its been mentioned, numerous times, Checketts and Friends will not be able to do much development if any at the Fairpark location.

Couldn't they just do the hotel, retail, corporate HQ on the Sandy land they already own???

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Email sent, and I am not even a resident.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL Academy & Youth Fields
    [​IMG]

The Last "New" Fairpark Stadium Plan
    [​IMG]

The Fairpark Stadium Plan

[​IMG]

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Doesn't look like a lot of parking. When is the Utah State Fair held? I remember State Fair gamedays when the Burn played in the Cotton Bowl. It was fun, we got into the fair with our game ticket. Spent the day eating fried food and going on rides, then the game at night. Was always a bitch to find parking, but worth it.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is additional parking planned on the south side of the park.

Not sure on when the fair us held, but here is the website: http://www.utahstatefair.com/
    My guess is August.