Faculty Contract Position

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by flowergirl, Jan 5, 2006.

1. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what to expect salary-wise for a faculty contract position? Would it be relatively close to what a full assistant professor makes? it seems to be all the same responsibilities, perhaps without the advising?

professors out there... ??

thanks for the info ahead of time.

2. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    In my experience, "visiting professor" pays far more than "contract professor" (which sounds like the polite way of saying "adjunct") Adjuncting is usually by the class, and generally pays for ********, and likely doesn't have health insurance, while visiting pays by the semester/year, is paid at the assistant scale, and comes with most benefits (except retirement).

Of course, the pay varies by discipline. There are a lot of adjunct business and law profs who do very well.

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    There's likely different levels of contracts even within a single college. But I'd say they would pay considerably less than full assistant profs.

For instance, what would a first year Assistant professor of say, anthropology, make at an average school on the East Coast? (I've been gone a while, so I really don't know) 45-55k? I'd think a first year faculty contract position would be at around 35-40k, at most.

The better contract positions would, however, be multiple year contracts (my school has 5 year and 3 year renewable options) and they would carry full health and pension benefits. These used to be officially tied to hierarchical titles like Lecturer, Instructor, and so on, but not so much anymore.

I usually think of adjuncts as being paid by-the-course, with no benefits package.

4. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I know this is full benefits and it would be a multi-yr contract, and the title is actually visiting prof... so i'm assuming this is one of the better, higher end ones. it most definitely isn't adjunct.

thanks for your info.

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

Those numbers sound right from my experience.