Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's going to have to play for peanuts, at this point is not even a sure thing he'll ever be fit enough again to play a full game.

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

if he leaves to MLS and Morales goes down to 2BL. Really could end up with Chandler and Brooks as the last German-Americans (not counting Toljan) who are playing high level in Europe. And those 2 are 27 and 30 years old and aging too.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Out of those only Brooks has been meaningful to the NT in the last 3 years.

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard 0 MLS teams are interested in Fabian right now. At least not at the salary he wants.

He made a mistake. RSL offered him a rather big contract over the winter - beyond what he wants now. They're not even interested anymore.

ttrevett, sakibomb523, Winoman and 7 others repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    trying to squeeze as much as he can before he retires and he's an injury prone player who's not young anymore. Not sure why he expects too much....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Would it be best for Johnson to find a new club in Germany at this point? I assume it would have to be a short-term deal.

If the US is actually able to suppress coronavirus and return to normal in 2021, then maybe clubs will be willing to spend a little more. But Johnson may need to show that he can stay healthy and contribute if he wants a lengthy deal in the U.S.

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is actually a premium right now among American MLS teams to sign American players or green card holders who are based abroad as opposed to foreign players based abroad.

The reason being you can actually get them into the country easier than a player who isn't American or the holder of a green card.

If Fabian can't find a deal now, it's unlikely he will be able next year - unless he drops his price.

Winoman, BostonRed and schrutebuck repped this.
  8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    If he just wants a big money contract, he should try Qatar, China, or Japan/Korea.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    China has tightened the money bags since the end of 2018.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, I suspect just about everyone else has tightened up since March.

Winoman repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Qatar it is

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't you seen the price of oil? And it's going lower soon.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    im more focused domestically

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was only be facetious, I have a feeling they've still got a few duckets between the couch cushions..

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    taylor, freisland, ShortyMac and 7 others repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Very good player, sadly destroyed by injuries. His peak was high but lasted only a few months. Gladbach fans recognize.

olephill2 and ShortyMac repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnson's final 2019/2020 stat line is 271 minutes (6 appearances including 3 starts) played in the Bundesliga with 4th place Borussia Mönchengladbach.

He also made a 27 minute substitute appearance in the German Cup. Borussia Mönchengladbach were eliminated in the second round.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fabio was pretty good. I really liked the one or two games he played that funky inside-out RB overlap. But it was a novelty act, sadly. He has smart feet. But not built ram tough.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I can't see him getting more than high six figures a year in MLS and that's if they remember him from 2014

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP

21. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Fabian really looked good under Lucien Favre who is a smart coach with a plan and who had formed a smart Gladbach-team which always had a plan... and Fabian had the ability to fit in... physically and mentally... for me he was player who had this certain kind of soccer-intelligence
    I personally found his RB-world cup appearances a sample without much of a value
    so did Favre who put him in midfield (most of the time) ... the Wendt-Johnson duo on the left was great... for quite some time... for my taste Johnson was a little bit too 'halting' in the last line of defence
    Schubert, Favre's successor also used Fabian a lot, Borussia played CL at that time... but by and by he became more of a 'jumper' from position to position and the injuries kicked in: h-e-a-v-i-l-y
    for a short time this season it looked like he was getting back in the team at least as an all-purpose-weapon on different positions to close temporary staff shortings... Rose liked him (and his style does not allow to use slow or unfit players that's for sure)... but then it was Groundhog-day again...

with his health record and the transfer market being plain dead as it is because of corona his soccer future isn't the brightest right now but at least he had his fair share of seasons and has seen heights other players never reach... hope he stays healthy for a longer time and in this case he might still be a of value for an MLS-team, especially a young team with a lack of experience

wrong link, here's the right one:

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always sad to see a great career winding down.

Maybe he signs with another club and continues but the days of being one of the best RB's in Brazil are well behind him.

Never got the respect he deserved from our fanbase.

Magikfute, SCSAutism and Winoman repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's a Bild+ article, but seems like Johnson has one or the other request from MLS but hasn't dealt with it yet. He wants to get completely fit 1st and look at his options. He think he has another few more years at high level in him.

24. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    the johnson - wendt duo in Champions league was fun to watch...those overlapping runs by wendt with johnson tucking in were great

Suyuntuy repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If I were FC Cincinnati, I'd bring Fabian in just for his presence in the lockerroom. Make him a player/assistant coach.

That team needs a LOT of help and a solid pro like Fabian who can also play four different positions would be an asset.