Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He told Arena that he was looking to cut back and only play in important games. I forget if he meant leading up to WC or after. His injuries made that moot.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for that.

@Bruce S I posted the Bild excerpt in the YA thread but will repost here:

Since March, your son Sean is here. Glad to be able to sleep through in the training camp?

Johnson: "Luckily, the little one is very easy-care and mostly sleeps through. But a lot has changed, somehow almost everything is about him now. "

Does Dad still fly more than 100,000 kilometers a year for the US national team around the world?

Johnson: "I still enjoy playing for my country, but there is an agreement with Coach Bruce Arena to only use me for the more important games."

Would the World Cup next year perhaps be an appropriate end?

Johnson: "That can be good. The World Cup is definitely a huge goal, in Brazil it was just outstanding, now I'm looking forward to Russia. "

Is it a curse or a blessing that you can play everything right and left?

Johnson: "If I'm just sitting on the bench because I can cover three positions as a joker, it's a curse."

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fabian-johnson/darum-sind-meine-locken-ab-52625680.bild.html

Winoman and KenC repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not even sure you guys should bother calling up a guy who turns 35 during the 2022 WC. There really should be a threshold in terms of ages where it's time to move on and give a younger player a chance.

4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.

Since we don’t have a competitive game in a while, I like that we are testing our younger options.

But once competitive games start (Gold Cup, qualifying) then you play the players who give you the best chance at winning. Plenty of players have helped us qualify that didn’t make the World Cup squad.

adam tash repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Johnson being left out is not really a deal breaker, if you can't do well in qualifying or GC without him then you have issues.

in 2018 WC Hex he played 4 games with 1 win and 3 losses and another 2 games where he was an unused bench player and that's it.

I understand using him in case of emergencies but otherwise not really.

Winoman repped this.
  6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether he will be there in 22 or not, he can still contribute. I've never been a Johnson or Chandler guy but I hope the next manager will give them a chance to see if they can work in his system.

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    What is it about them that prevents you from being “a Johnson or Chandler guy?” Thanks.

8. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are better club players than international players. Bobby is better for country than club and Johnson and Chandler are better for club than country. It happens, not every player is good for both but thanks for assuming it was because they were Germericans.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I didn’t want to presume what you thought which is why I asked the question although I noted your (perhaps inadvertent) usage of “never” which seemed to imply that it was not based on their actual performance in the jersey.

To that end, FJ was one of our best players in Brazil and a true difference maker at that tournament. Our recent style doesn’t seem to benefit wing back players however.

10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but Brazil was four years ago and I agree that we don't play a formation that he fits into perfectly. I feel like for every time he looked brilliant on the field there were more times that he disappeared. Again, though, I do hope the next manager does bring him into camp. I do hope we focus on the future but I don't want to write off all of the vets either.

Sorry for the thread jack.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    This defines almost every USMNT player, certainly recently.

jjmack and VBCity72 repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Although I do think FJ/TC have far more current upside than our other wide options (excepting Yedlin).

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Johnson makes the bench for Gladbach in its DFB Pokal match against Hastedt.

Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Johnson did not see the field in Gladbach's narrow 11-1 triumph.

16. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Starting vs Leverkusen

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  17. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Gladbach looks good as do Leverkusen. Hazard and Raffael involved quite a bit (status quo) while Fabian's main job is to constantly cut in and make runs into the box as an inverted winger. This then allows Wendt time and space going forward from LB. 0-0 HT.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  19. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Goal Fabian!! Beautiful give and go with Raffael.

20. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see him start and score

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I love the Bundesliga.....it’s place where YA’s don’t bum me out. They have actual success. Nice job to Fab. Nice to see him healthy and scoring goals

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Johnson did quite a bit of defending in the first half, too. Deserves another look for the NT, if fit, and if he's ok with it.

24. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  25. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Great run behind the defense in the 1st min but his shot was blocked. Then later on in the half had his shot cleared off the line.

autobus39 repped this.