Fabian Estay might be coming to LA

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by *ACE*, Mar 2, 2005.

1. *ACE*

*ACE* New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    This is a player I wished we got a while ago. He reminds me of Peter Nowak. The only problem now is that he's 35/36 yrs old. Lets see if he came to play or relax like some other sorta big namers. Seems Stevie already mentioned to him that it better not be the case. He might be that 10 we need because there's no way that El Pando is a 10 player. I've seen him play plenty and though he's good, he's not a 10. I'm even hoping Paulo Nagamura is that 10 we need so badly. Looks more and more like Memo, Grabavoy, and company might be sitting one more year. We're stacked up with defenders and now midfielders but I still think we need that one forward to help Ruiz. Jovan doesn't pair up well uptop. He seems better coming from the mid. Atleast now we probably won't have to worry about Ruiz acting like a Diva. All these good players should bring him down to earth. One thing I should mention is that Estay hasn't signed yet but he says its a done deal. That he's not on trial but Sampson asked Dougie for him since he's not under any contract. Here's the story but its in spanish.

http://www.laopinion.com/deportes/futbol/?rkey=00050301180908995255

2. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Coach Steve has been groping for players so much that he's been mistaken for the pond monster in Lord of the Rings. Not that it's a bad thing.

And, I don't think another 36 year old is what we need....no matter how good. A #10 needs to play both ways.

PS. Grabavoy better not sit. Dammit.

3. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I don't like the way our team is beginning to shape up. All these new faces don't bode well for team chemistry, often. Plus, we just picked up another allocation today from Chivas...we need to get some REAL talent. Some fresh talent that will be staying longer than one season...

4. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, a #10 doesn't need to play both ways in all systems, and in many that player doesn't. Lest we forget, the #10 comes from the old way of identifying the players positions by the numbers they wore. The #10 has always been an attacking player, although I suppose in theory you would like all of your players to defend all over the field. Recently the #10 player has become an attacking/creative midfielder, through which the attack flows. Sometimes that player is merely a withdrawn forward, who plays underneath a target player or a couple of players who play higher up against the opponents last defenders. Your two-way central midfielders are in the Roy Keene, Patrick Viera mold. Tough tacklers who can drive forward and score goals as well.

The problem with our young Master Grabavoy is that he is not the two-way engine room dynamo that we all with him to be. In truth he is a shorter, less experienced version of Jovan Kirovski. He'll defend up high and track back when he has to. He likes the ball at his feet in space because he's a good passer and can beat the odd defender one-on-one. He'll shoot from distance because he is much more comfortable facing the goal. He doesn't have great pace, but he works hard. He's got good technique, good vision and solid tactical awareness. He's also very young, and it takes time to become a great midfield general. Just ask Memo. In another league, he might suffice out wide in the midfield, but MLS puts a premium on speed and athleticism at that position, which makes it even more amazing that Steve Ralston does what he does. Unfortunately for Ned, Pando Ramirez will eat up a lot of minutes doing the same things, and they didn't get Ramirez so they could sit him on the bench.

5. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Fabian Estay has said he's coming to play and not to retired and have a nice vacation, but well see if its true.

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am not a fan of going after 36 year old players, I do like the fact that Estay is trying out with the team and has played in the last two scrimmages. If he impresses the coaches and earns a spot on the team through his play (rather than his past) then I'm fine with bringing on a proven player who has shown he's still got it.

I wonder if the FO would have signed Bo if he had been required to train with the team in advance. I can just see the PT coach's notes:

40-yard times:

G. Glinton: 4.4
    C. Jones: 4.5
    T. Marshall: 4.5
    C. Albright: 4.6
    S. Victorine: 4.9
    M. Hong: eventually

7. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Sasha can do the the 40 in 4.9 deconds?!?!? Does that include the two seconds he runs in place?

Back to Estay real fast, do we have slots to bring him in? And if we pair him up top with Ruiz, I would pretty much throw in the towel on getting goals off headers. If we put him in the middle we are basically in the same position as last year with Herzog. I still say pass, even if he does come to play.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Does anyone know if the Estay signing has officially materialized?
    I will provide info on the player tomorrow as I'm a in a bit of a rush.
    Metro

9. *ACE*

*ACE* New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I wouldn't say its official until the LA/MLS says so. Estay isn't a forward. The thing is we have no one else as an attacking playmaker. Unless Nagamura can cover that spot. We have rookies that have shown some skills but no one who I would consider a 10 yet. I guess we can give these guys a try so they can develope. How else will they learn but it'll be at the cost of maybe throwing the season down the drain. Our mid was turning out awsome until we got news of Saragoza not returning. We have so many mids and now with Paulo, Pando, and maybe even Estay, well I don't see the youngsters playing much again. I remembered when we thought Memo was going to take over Cien's spot but as you know we were wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if we send him to the Goats. With so many new faces this season will be a bit of a surprise.

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Estay is not so much a 10 playmaker, but in his better days was more like an 8. This is what in Spanish-speaking countries would be considered a "back and forth midfielder", something along the lines of a 2-way. I'm not quite sure how much he is able to bring to the table with the LAG, because his best days seem to be past him (he hasn't been a regular starter for any club in the past year or year and a half or so).
    As a player, he was very reliable, and he is also well-travelled (St. Gallen and Olympiakos)--I do not know how well he fared in Switzerland or Greece. He is also one of the few players to have played in all 3 bigs clubs in Chile (Colo Colo, UC, U. de Chile). For the NT, he was always at least reliable; was also part and played a few minuted during the 98 WC. I hope he does well with the LAG.

11. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I much rather have a younger/less experienced player thrown into the fire at a.mid than have another guy at the end of his career who's gonna be around for one year. Herzog was great when he played last year, but he's gone now and we have the same hole to fill that we had last offseason. We would have this same hole to fill a year from now if we got Estay. If we had thrown Ned or Memo (yeah, even Memo) or just used Kirovski at a.mid all year, who knows? One of them might have claimed the spot outright and established themselves as a fixture in the lineup for the next few years.

We need to get off this carousel of temporary fixes and look towards the longterm development of our players and success of our team.

12. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Didn't we get a late-30s attacking minded midfielder last season only to watch him become an unimportant bit player at the end of the season last year?

Why go through it again?

Completely agree with Ace. We should have gotten him in 98 when he still had something left.

Then again, if he comes and plays instead of Vagenas...

13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    technically we got a late 30s attacking minded midfielder last season who despite being our leading assist guy was marginalized and played out of position by our new "attractive attacking soccer so let's play 2 defensive mid-fielders" coach.

14. hakko ace

hakko ace New Member

May 9, 2001
    Rancho Los Cerritos
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    have to agree. i used to watch him in mfl when he had something and i remember when he started to fade. i think it was with santos or more probably aguilas...he lost his starting position and was soon out of the league. i think we should pass on this guy. why do you think he doesn't want to come here on trial. he just wants a contract. some people are underestimating pando. he's a good player on his way up. forget about fabian...

15. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old attacking midfielder we got was probably one of the more productive and skillful offensive players we had. He got benched come August by our manager and then the team began to have trouble scoring goals. Hmmmmm................

16. el cucharon

el cucharon Member

Mar 17, 2003
    friendship village
    I saw him play in the scrimmage this Thusday and was not impressed

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Now, I agree w/ your overall premise that Andreas shouldn't have been benched by Sampson, but the Galaxy had been playing poorly for over a month, which is why Sigi got fired.

18. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    The more I think about this, the more frustrated I get.

First of all, wouldn't Fabian Estay take up an international spot? Why would you waste it on him?

Second of all, if Sampson didn't play Herzog last year (I thought benching Herzog was the worst move he made, completely destroyed the offense) why would he get himself in the same position with another similar player? Steve, you wouldn't play an old midfielder at the end of last year, why play one this year?

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I thought they were doing their pre-season in Pamplona, Spain?

20. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

No actually they arrived in Spain this saturday, probably left Friday.

And I agree, Steve-O benched Herzog, 35, yet he has a 37 year old forward in camp?

Unless the plan is to have Estay fake heart attacks during the game while Ruiz scores goals, this doesn't look good.

21. Samminish

Samminish New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    ESTAY played in France '98 and played in all 3 matches (starting 2?) for his country .. ..

36?? Hmmmm ... ...