FA WSL Season 7 mind the gap ( between 2016 and 2017/18)

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by shlj, Dec 6, 2016.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The seventh FA WSL season will start in September 2017.

All the players have gone on holidays except reading who have started their pre-season already barely a month after the end of the 2016 season.

The Spring series to bridge the time between the two seasons will start in February 2017 for the FA WSL 2 and April 2017 for the FA WSL 1. Both League will have 10 teams.

The FA have not said yet if the two promoted teams have passed the FA WSL 1 criteria and are going up.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bachmann to Chelsea

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    shij,how about does Henning annual salary in PSG and in Arsenal?

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There was never any disclose of wages for her so it is total guesswork. Especially in England where they hide nearly everything from budgets to players wages etc..

My guess is she was in the 6k to 8k€ per month bracket at PSG, as they said 10K€ was the biggest wages at PSG.

At Arsenal, Henning signed in February then extended in June to leave now for Lyon so my guess from February to June she was on a lower wage and it got upped with her new contract. so many in the 30k£ per year bracket for Henning, in the second half of the season.

Someone said on twitter she never settled, hence leaving to go back to France.

ohmygod repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ramona will be very surprised by referees in England. She tends to go down quickly when fouled or when contact is made and the referee will not give her any free kick.

The same thing happen to Ji So-Yun in her first season, she was surprised by not getting free-kicks and even got sent-off for a second booking after a "dive".

debzy and White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Actually, Bachmann got quite a bit better towards the end of her time in Sweden. Not sure how she's been in Wolfsburg because I've barely seen her on the field.

8. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    The wages looks like fairly high as a CB.I once concerned about her career,she had played UWCL finals representing several clubs,from POTSDAM to WOB,then PSG.Just curiosity,why does she leave PSG this spring?After all,she just has finished a successful season with her co.

9. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC

My guess:Ramona couldn't tolerate loose scale made by England referees,deciding join france league in a year:D

When does she join in Chelsea?next July?

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She left at the end of 2015, to officially concentrate on her rehab at home. The signed for Arsenal in February.

January 2017.

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA WSL signings so far :

Chelsea : Maren Mjelde, Ramona Bachmann
    Arsenal : Kim Little
    Reading : Mandy Van Den Berg

There are about a dozen players who were on loan who are returning to their parent club as well.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any news on the Henning to Lyon front?

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it is a done deal, medical done last week or the week before, but OL are waiting for the official annoucement, same with Morgan I believe.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  14. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    Good deal for Chelsea.Maren is a versatile player, being good at CB,holding midfielder,even fullback,and full of experience.Maren can strengthen Chelsea defence level rapidly.It's time to break through achievement for UWCL next season.

15. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    by the Norway thread:

Norway will play friendlies this winter in Spain at La Manga against England (22 Jan).

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Next season Chelsea are likely to be unseeded again, I think they are currently number 19 out of the probable 32 teams that will be in the first round, so they can get Wolfsburg / Lyon and gou out in the first round gain if they have no luck with the draw.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes indeed, the England schedule for the first part of 2017 is as follows :

• 22 Jan England v Norway La Manga
    • 24 Jan England v Sweden Pinatar Area, Murcia
    • 27 Feb – 7 Mar SheBelieves Cup against USA, France and Germany played in the USA.
    • 3 Apr – 11 Apr FIFA international dates for international friendly
    • 5 Jun – 13 Jun FIFA international dates for international friendly

ohmygod repped this.
  18. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    Maren,in company with Ramona,did divination a while ago.The fortuneteller told them Chelsea would get a lucky draw next year,even luckier than Man.City in 2016.
    So, they both chose to join Chelsea at once:rolleyes:

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The FA has announced the re-opening of licenses for the FA WSL season 2018/19

From now on licences are only valid for one year rather than three years and five years as they did in the past.

And because the FA are not people with common sense, they will announce the licensing results before June 2017.

So by that times, teams will know if they get a FA WSL 1, FA WSL 2 licence or if they are demoted for the season starting in September 2018.

And they will still have to play the full 2017/18 season with some of them knowing they will get promoted/relegated/sacked from the FA WSL. Football does not matter, just money and marketing.

And yes it has happened in the past. Back in 2013 when the FA opened the licenced for 2014-18 and created FA WSL 2, they announced the licensing results after Matchday 1 of the 2013 and Doncaster Belles were relegated to FA WSL 2 and Manchester City got a licence to FA WSL 1 straightaway. We can understand why with the success they had thanks to the big investments made.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The last manager who was around for the first 6 FA WSL season has just resigned

808298061156012033 is not a valid tweet id

21. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    New manager-team,New era!
    We need a FA WSL1 with 12 clubs.Otherwise,the schedule often exist "empty hole" .There aren't matches at all in some weekends.

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Casey Stoney has moved as expected to Liverpool.

Regarding extension, I think, it will stay at 10 in FA WSL 1 for a while, not every team is full time professional and those who were not 100% full time struggled last year, with the team with the less full time player relegated.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You'll have to enlighten me as to what these "holes" are and why they're there... Ignore this part, I'm taking a closer look at all the schedules now. I know that, if you had 10 teams in a regular double-round-robin season, that would in theory be 18 weeks with 5 games per week. (Sticking at 9 teams would also be 18 weeks but with 4 games per week.) I understand if the season could take longer on the calendar if some weekends are intentionally left blank for international windows or cup breaks, but is there anything in particular (a top-down organizational rule or something) forcing a season to last more weeks than those 18 gamedays? Or is it just venue availability? This past year, I know the schedule spanned from late March to early November, with was about 33 weekends, way more than the 18 necessary. I know some of those 33 were left for international breaks and cup days, but the fact that the "season" went from March to November for just 18 gamedays makes me think that the problem is not the number of team but rather the scheduling. If there's some top-down rule that the season has to last 7-8 months, then 12 teams would certainly be nice. But I know that, here in the States, WoSo teams have historically almost never had first or even second dibs on their stadiums, which can sometimes really make for some intense schedule gymnastics. If that is (or at least contributes to) the problem with the FA WSL schedule, then the number of teams is irrelevant, and the solution would be giving the teams the resources to have more control over their venues.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #24 SiberianThunderT, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Alright, looking at the schedules, from what I can tell, this is how the weeks broke down this past year:
    3wMar - Cup
    4wMar - WSL (6g)
    1wApr - Cup
    2wApr - England NT
    3wApr - Cup
    4wApr - WSL (4g)
    5wApr/1wMay - WSL (8g)
    2wMay - WSL (2g)
    3wMay - Cup
    4wMay - WSL (4g)
    5wMay - WSL (2g)
    1wJune - England NT
    2wJune - ????
    3wJune - ????
    4wJune - WSL (3g)
    1wJuly - WSL (2g)+Cup
    2wJuly - WSL (4g)
    3wJuly - WSL (3g)
    4wJuly - WSL (4g)
    5wJuly - WSL (4g)
    1wAug - WSL (1g)+Cup
    2wAug - WSL (1g)
    3wAug - ????
    4wAug - WSL (4g)
    1wSep - WSL (3g)+Cup
    2wSep - WSL (2g)
    3wSep - England NT
    4wSep - WSL (4g)
    1wOct - Cup
    2wOct - WSL (2g)
    3wOct - WSL (1g)
    4wOct - WSL (4g)
    5wOct - England NT
    1wNov - WSL (4g)

So by my count, there were three weeks with apparently absolutely nothing going on, plus several weeks with just 1 or 2 WSL games instead of a full slate (and several Cup weeks which would also leave multiple teams sitting idle depending on how far in each Cup they were). I think leaving some weekends open for the Cups (and for the England NT) is fine, but those three "hole" weeks and the several sparse WSL weeks could have been condensed down into maybe two nearly-full-slate WSL weeks - assuming no other schedule quirks, which this year was probably not a good assumption. I think some of all that schedule spacing might be Doncaster's fault, considering how the entire month of October was mostly them playing catch-up for not games they didn't play earlier in the season. So I think their venue situation was likely a big culprit in some of the wonkiness this year.

Still, we should probably consider that wonkiness a bit of a unique situation, and the fact that there were still 22 week leftover after removing NT and Cup dates (plus three WSL/Cup slit weeks) for an 18-week-size schedule still has to be addressed. Having 11 or 12 teams would mean a 22-week-size schedule and would certainly fit perfectly, but what I don't see is why the schedule had to span so much of the calendar in the first place - unless it's a football labor rule or something like that which requires player contract to cover 7-8 months of pay.

ohmygod repped this.
  25. ohmygod

ohmygod Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Club:
    AC Minervén Bolívar FC
    Valuable analysis for WSL1 schedule,thanks!I need read them carefully and seriously.
    NWSL also has 9 teams,still keep wonderful&classic. It seems that team quantity aren't key points.