FA WSL season 6 : Money, money, money ££££

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by shlj, Dec 9, 2015.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Seriously? 0PPG in England still means the exact same thing as 1PPG in France. I understand if your league is disorganized enough that the thought of a team not showing up is a real possibility, but considering how organized most leagues in the developed countries are now, is there really any benefit to awarding points just for showing up? Are these professional ladies going to be treated like the silly youth players in the US where everyone gets a participation trophy?

2. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I see what you mean but there is one particular thing that you didn't took in consideration...the one I highlighted...I'm not sure about FA WSL but in DF1 and many other so called "professional league" actually not all teams are professional. In France only three clubs (PSG, OL, MHSC) are full professional, Juvisy is semi-pro and the rest it depends on the girls.....I mean take Guingamp for exemple, in their roster only three players are paid to play the rest are amateur.
    So my question is could we pretend the same degree of commitment to amateur and professional players ?.....

ps: Anyway, I was wrong about D1F points system, from this season victory is 3 points, draw 1 and loss 0.;)

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Even if there are semi-pro teams in France's top division, I was under the impression that the league's organization was professional enough that there hasn't been a forfeiture in years. So clearly, every club has been able to field a team for every game for quite a while. We don't need to pretend, because in terms of showing up to play, there hasn't been a commitment issue.

Besides, the context of this discussion was you suggesting that the 4-2-1-0 was better than what England currently had, and my post used "going to be treated" - i.e. not currently treated or previously treated. I wasn't talking about France in that sentence.

4. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You don't have the same commitment from those who play for a living to those who play for fun.....trust me I know it very well....Anyway, the discussion was about the different point system and from this season France changed its own to the usual 3-1-0 so that discussion is closed.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Saturday

Doncaster 1 Reading 4

Sunday

Man City 2 Chelsea 0
    Birmingham 2 Liverpool 1
    Notts County 2 Sunderland 1

Manchester City win the FA WSL and it is all over the papers which is great for women's football.
    City still unbeaten after 15 out of their 16 games. Chelsea will qualify for the Champions League as they only need two points from two games. Even one should be enough actually.

1.City 41 pts + 32 (15) Champions
    2. Chelsea 31 pts +22 (14)
    ------------------------------
    3. Arsenal 23 pts + 10 (13)
    4. Birmingham 23 pts -1 (14)
    5. Liverpool 22 pts +4 (14)
    6. Notts County 12 pts -9 (13)
    7. Reading 9 pts -9 (14)
    8. Sunderland 9 pts -18 (14)
    -----------------------------------
    9. Doncaster 0 pt -31 (11)

In theory Doncaster could manage to stay up... in reality, with 0 point in 11 games cannot see them get 10 points out of 15 in the last 5.

gricio61 repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #156 hotjam2, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Man City made itself into another super stacked team; 8 of England's current 8 NT's( mostly starters), plus 17 year old youth star Stanway. Two Scot intl in Beattie & Ross, plus the Swedes Alsani.
    Chelsea looked better with the addition if Karen Carney.

What might hamper them in the CL is not playing regularly in league play while the CL competition is going on and perhaps the WSL wasn't the strongest league around in attracting international superstars. But I did read about a very very 'feint' rumor that Carli Lloyd wants to come play with Liverpool???

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think Liverpool have that much money to give her and also, with the change from Summer season to winter season, the next season will start in September 2017 :eek:

Obviously they are doing that joke spring series one off 9 games between each teams in order to top up the fitness of the England players prio to the Euros. But the real business will start in 11 months, so unless Lloyd turns up like in July 2017 and leave the NWSL mid-season, it is not likely to happen.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #159 shlj, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Doncaster 0 Arsenal 5

Table

1. Man City 41 pts + 32 (15) Champions
    3. Arsenal 26 pts + 15 (14)
    4. Birmingham 23 pts -1 (14)
    5. Liverpool 22 pts +4 (14)
    7. Reading 9 pts -9 (14)
    9. Doncaster 0 pt -36 (12)

Doncaster v Liverpool on Sunday, if Liverpool win Doncaster will be virtually relegated as they would need to close down a 18 goals difference in 3 games.

Arsenal are stil chasing Chelsea for the runner-up place but Chelsea have Reading next and should collect the 3 points to secure their Champions League place.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #160 hotjam2, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    pretty disastrous performance by Chelsea vs Wolfbsurg in their first CL game. loosing 0-3 on their home turf(could of been an even higher score) Ji won p.o.y. two years ago, Davison came pretty darn close to winning it last year, Spence just made the NT, yet all 3 were on the bench at the start of this game. Kirby is supposedly recovering from injury but was still rostered, yet did not play. I've never seen this much kind of talent apparently get out of favor with the coach within an year. Emma Hayes should be fired!

Man City didn't look that much better as it took the home team the 90th minute to finally score their 2nd goal against a cast of complete unknowns in Zveda Perm. Obviously the visiting team parked the bus, but still you expect better from a squad that features eight, mostly starters on Sampson's NT

11. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think a lot of Chelsea players underperformed this season including Ji. I am not 100% sure about it as I did not attend many Chelsea game this season because I had a problem with one of their staff ( the girl filming the games) during a pre-season game in Paris.

I am not very welcomed there. That girl also banned a photographer from attending the game on Wednesday but that's another story lol.

Kirby has not played for a long long time and I am not sure how fully fit she is. What I think is there will be a serious turnover this winter during the transfer window as players are very likely to leave.

Regarding City, it was their first ever game in the Champions League, so 2-0 is not a bad result before going to Russia.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Russian teams may never have a well-known cast of players, but they almost never go away quietly. For a team with a storied UWCL history versus a first-timer, I don't think it would be so weird to expect the former to advance, whatever the rosters.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Doncaster 1 Liverpool 3

Table

1. Man City 41 pts + 32 (15) Champions
    3. Arsenal 26 pts + 15 (14)
    4. Liverpool 25 pts +6 (15)
    5. Birmingham 23 pts -1 (14)
    7. Reading 9 pts -9 (14)
    9. Doncaster 0 pt -38 (13)

Doncaster are going down unless a miracle happen as they are 9 points behind and 3 games to go.

The only other way for them to stay up is the FA rejecting promotion to one of the top two teams from WSL2 as they don't fulfill the criteria for WSL 1.

Promotions is not automatic it is subject to licensing approval, as budget and organisation in WSL 1 and more stringent that in WSL 2. Minimum budget is £70,000 in WSL 2 and £140,000 in WSL 1.

That's about $56 450 and $113 000 or 78,000 € and 155,500€ minimum budgets required alongside, infrstatucture and marketing in place.

gricio61 repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's quite odd. Can you disclose what the problem was or is it too personal/not suited to a public forum?

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    with Man City leading the league by 10 points and just recently winning the Conti Cup, , they're definite dominated the scene so far, the league's mvp is definitely going to come from this club, but who? One choice might be leading scorer, Jane Ross, but she's more of a target player. I'll take Lucy Bronze, she simply the best FB in the business! Here's highlights of her, just look at her on defense. She rally should be up for Ballon d'or! Good soundtrack on th vid(unless your an old rock n roller, lol)

debzy repped this.
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just one girl with a bit power and happy to annoy people.

Matchday 15 out 16 in FA WSL 1

Sat

Sunderland v Notts County

Sun

Arsenal v Doncaster
    Man City v Birmingham
    Chelsea v Reading

Manchester City will try to finish the season unbeaten.
    Doncaster are going down. Chelsea need two points to make sure of Champions League in 2017/18.

1. Man City (C) 41 pts
    2. Chelsea 31 pts +22
    ------------------------
    3. Arsenal 26 pts
    4. Liverpool 25 pts
    5. Birmingham 23 pts
    6. Notts County 15 pts
    7. Reading 9 pts
    8. Sunderland 9 pts
    ----------------------
    9. Doncaster 0 pt (R)

Matchday 17 out of 18 in FA WSL 2

The promotion race is getting very interesting with two more games to go ( two teams go up)

1. Yeovil Town 33 pts + 20
    2. Bristol City 33 pts +15
    3. Everton 31 pts +17

Sat

Everton v Bristol

Sun

London Bees v Yeovil

and next week-end

London Bees v Everton
    Oxford v Bristol
    Yeovil
    v Sheffield

debzy, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FA WSL 1

Sunderland 1 Notts County 1

Sun

Arsenal 2 Doncaster 0
    Man City 1 Birmingham 1
    Chelsea 3 Reading 2

Man City finish the season unbeaten, Chelsea claim the runner-up place and the second champions league place.
    Doncaster Belles still have 0 point in 15 games :eek:

FA WSL 2

Everton 2 Bristol 3
    Everton given two dodgy penalties including one on 90+5 that they managed to miss.

London Bees 0 Yeovil 2
    Bees outperformed Yeovil in the first half that ended up 0-0, their center half made a saving tackle in the last minute of the first half, got injured and they had to move a midfielder to her place and put a 17 years old in midfield. Yeovil then dominated them and scored two goals.

Bristol and Yeovil are promoted. the FA WSL 2 title will be decided next week with the teams level on points but yeovil an extra +6 goal difference.

Promotion to FA WSL 1 is subject to licensing criteria and no doubt Bristol will get it but Yeovil are a small club from a small town that were playing at regional level 9 years ago. The infrastructure and general licensing term and much harder to achieve in WSL 1 compared to WSL 2.

This is Yeovil:
    Really in the middle of nowhere in a corner of England, population 45,000, in comparison Bristol have 450,000 inner city and 1,000,000 in the metropiltan area.
    London 8,673,713 in comparison.

gricio61 repped this.
  18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations to Man. City.
    For once I agree with you....Lucy is by very far the best fullback at the moment and easily among the five best player.

Last but not least I hope the FAWSL doens't allow Doncaster to stay because sincerely after fnishing with zero point they simply don't deserve to stay in the top league.

gricio61 repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have one more game on Sunday, the might get a point or three. But the FA WSL is a business League so IF Yeovil don't have enough money, Doncaster will stay up.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's highlights of the season's last match for Man City; they tied, but still won the title. Good crowd on hand, and I do must say that in many areas the English do it right, like the top quality camera work of the highlights and nice atmosphere for the players. Hopefully the league can attract a bit stronger foreign players next time around

and here's why sometimes 2nd division teams should stay in the 2nd division! as a comedy of errors highlight all the goals scored

gricio61, debzy and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    End of season with final matchday. Doncaster Belles get a win at Reading so don't finish with 0 point.

Final table FA WSL 1

1. Man City 42 pts unbeaten chanpions
    2. Chelsea 37 pts qualify for champions league
    3. Arsenal 32 pts
    4. Birmingham 27 pts
    5. Liverpool 25 pts
    6. Notts County 16 pts
    7. Sunderland 10 pts
    8. Reading 9 pts
    9. Doncaster 3 pts relegated

FA WSL2

1. Yeovil 39 pts +25 champions
    2. Bristol 39 pts + 21 promoted
    3. Everton 34 pts
    4. Durham 33 pts
    5. Sheffield 26 pts
    6. Aston Villa 24 pts
    7. London Bees 22 pts
    8. Millwall Lionesses 16 pts
    9. Oxford United 13 pts
    10. Watford Ladies 7 pts

There is no relegation from FA WSL2

Next season 10 teams in FA WSL 1 and 10 teams in FA WSL 2 as Brighton who won the FA WPL play-off in third division goes up.

blissett repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The next season starts in September 2017 until May 2018, there will be 10 teams in each division.

Because of the Euro 2017, the FA has created an one-off competition the Spring series, 9 games with the teams playing all the other teams once. Teams are expected to evaluate their squad in that period prior to the start of the new season.

gricio61, debzy and blissett repped this.