FA WSL Matchday 7, 14/15 November: the women's football week-end

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Nov 11, 2020.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France

The women's football week-end is a marketing ploy by the FA to promote women's football as this is a men's football international break. Therefore they try to play the games at men's team grounds and get as many fans as possible. For example, they played the North London Derby at the Toilet Bowl last season.

Obviously with all the matches played behind closed door, there is no need to play in big stadiums. Instead all the kick-off times are staggered so that fans can watch ALL the games this week-end.Those are UK times

Sat 14
    The Manchester derby
    United v City 12.30 pm

The second City derby
    Birmingham v Aston Villa 2.30pm

Everton v Reading 4.30pm

The relegation six pointer
    Bristol v Tottenham 6.30pm

Sun 15
    West Ham v Brighton 12.30pm

The London Derby
    Arsenal v Chelsea 2.30pm

Ethan Frank repped this.
  2. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Fair enough on "The relegation six pointer", but I think Tottenham are notably better than their position in the table suggests. They've only lost big to Arsenal, and West Ham's the only team outside the top six that Tottenham's faced so far this season. That was a draw, and I think West Ham are arguably better than their current position as well.

Edit: I think West Ham and Tottenham may well finish 7th and 8th; I'm not sure who will finish higher though.

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh yeah Tottenham are a mid-table team. They have no business being on the relegation battle. But as long as they don't get their first win...

Ethan Frank repped this.
  4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Some promising games... There hasn't been this much excitement on the forum since the VAR machine exploded

Yes! But always remember, don't believe the hype - it's all about what happens on that pitch. Off the field, unfortunately it can't be like last year's 'Women's Football Weekend', and those viewers remembering the well-attended derbies may be a bit disappointed to see empty-stadium games with two clubs of near geographical proximity. It's still a thrilling concept, but STAY CALM, stay grounded
    [​IMG]
    (Obviously this isn't a good tactic for the players)​

Table:
    [​IMG]

Player of the month:

Not sure why they chose a photo of Miedema in pain, but these marketing bods know what they're doing.

Last meeting:

In the FA Cup 4th round in January:

Man Utd 2 - 3 Man City - (James, Hemp og / White 2, Scott)

Aside from head-to-head wins in 2020's Continental Cup final 2-1 and in this season's group game 4-1, Chelsea also got a four-goal haul at Arsenal in the league in January:

Arsenal 1 - 4 Chelsea - (Mead / England, Kerr, Ingle, Reiten)

A Birmingham women's derby hasn't happened since, I believe, their Conti Cup match in 2018 when City beat Villa 2-0. Their last league meetings were in the 2003/04 Women's Premier League.

2014: Aston Villa 0 - 2 Birmingham C - (Keryakoplis, Moore)

Championship:

Liverpool stunned last week's leaders of the second division, Sheffield United, with a fantastic solo goal by Rinsola Babajide.

[​IMG]
    Babajide, matchwinner v Sheff Utd - (img James Boyes, cc-by)

But it's Durham who took over in 1st place, with a 1-1 draw v Charlton, and it's now a very tight title race. The London Bees of Barnet are in trouble at the foot of the table. This weekend, the games in the Championship are all on Sunday (2pm GMT), including a clash of the top 2 - Sheffield Utd v Durham. Also, it's Blackburn v Liverpool, Charlton v London City Lionesses, Coventry Utd v Leicester City, and London Bees v Lewes.

[​IMG]

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Surprised London City is not near the top since they claimed they were going full all team pros. Trying to be like Man United that breeze through Championship League to get to FA WSL.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That organisation is messy. Plus the squad is really a patchwork of talent and others.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Hey sbahnhof!!!
    I found the thread myself this time !

8. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Well, I hope so! It's the biggest WSL weekend since last weekend

(At this point I'm just doing the quotes for atmosphere, rather than for 'alerts'...)
    Yup, and two other games are on UK TV, thru BT or the BBC...
    [​IMG]
    ▶ BT are also streaming Man Utd v City, at least in the UK, on Youtube and their site.

Everywhere else: FA Player or maybe elsewhere, it's complicated, I dunno, ask a cop

U.S.: Don't ask a cop, but consulting NBC Sports' site, the 2 games at Man Utd & Arsenal are live on NBCSN, and 2 more streaming online. Since NBC bought rights when the season began, some games have been exclusive there (i.e. not on FA Player in the U.S.)

L'orange and Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, I've been right about Lavelle not being a regular starter so far, but I've been wrong about Weir being the consistent starter ahead of Lavelle. Coombs is rewarded for her two quality goals vs Liverpool and Bristol with a start in the Manchester Derby.

sbahnhof repped this.
  10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Man Utd - Man City lineups:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I'm trying to see the game, but all I get is a black screen. Thought it was my computer or something. Going to try and see on my phone.

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Not working on phone either, I can hear audio but nothing else.

13. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Yeah, they do that if someone has bought the TV rights (like NBC, or Optus in Australia / Viaplay in Scandinavia), or streaming rights - it's not for every match, but NBC/NBCSN probably wants the big games for itself, to get those big 7am ratings :confused:

(No more goals yet...)

Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    It’s like United have forgotten how to play.
    Passing and ball winning from City is top class

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it;s on NBC Sports Network
    MC 2 MU 0 halftime, my impressions so far;
    MC keeping pace with MU's rapid style & the vast array of talent fro their idnividual players are taking over the game so far. MU's FB's Galton & Battle aren't natural defenders as their getting eaten up alive out there(where's normal CB starter Mcnamus?). Their #14 is obviously marking Sam Mwis but doing an horrondous job(shades of the WC final?) Sorry the pun, but Press can't press(their missing the injured Russo). Stoney's hoping her team's usual superb conditioning will take over the 2nd half, but this time they might be way too far behind to catch up

18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  20. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    HEATH !!!!

Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like MU's superb condtioning is really working for them as they stormed back 2-2. On the other hand, while looking tired, MC still refuses to sub

22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Needed Lavelle

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Where is Lavelle? Hurt again?

24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Groenen didn't have a great first half, but I didn't think it was obvious that she was marking Mewis. She was moving around a whole bunch of the pitch and not just focused on Mewis. I think a lot of players wouldn't have gotten a block on that Mewis shot, but Groenen definitely could have done better there. (Haven't checked again, but Kelly really looked offside on Coombs' goal.)

Edit: I mean I probably am reacting too strongly, but Groenen's the midfielder out of the three that's chosen for criticism? Whatever.

But hey, if we're going to go after Groenen, who was a big part of the press that led to Bronze's giveaway for Heath's goal? Feel free to rewind to how United won the first corner in that sequence of corners for Hanson's goal. A Groenen interception and then tidy pass out wide to Hanson when I thought, and I think many City players probably thought, she would play the ball to the left. Hanson and Heath deserve most of the praise for their goals, but both had obvious Groenen influence on them.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019