FA Cup Round 4 - January 26, 2008 - Wigan Athletic v. Chelsea FC [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Jan 24, 2008.

1. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    The Guardian had that somewhere. Grant had more points, more goals but more conceded than Jose.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Keep in mind who we're missing at the back. JT. Alex-Carvalho is good but JT has the organization skills that we're lacking. And whenever JT is fit Carvalho is injured and we're stuck with either Tal Ben Haim or Alex who lacks the speed Ricky has.

My only gripes with Alex-Carvalho is the lack of organization and Alex occasionally having a Brazilian moment. We haven't seen the best of JT-Carvalho just yet. But with the Ivanovic signing I can tell that he's somewhat similar to Gallas in that he has speed and strength. Speed being the thing Alex and Terry lack and strength being Ricky's weakpoint. That said I still like Carvalho-Alex but just not as much as Carvalho-Terry.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I think with Alex and Riccy not playing next Saturday, we should give Maka a break on Wed. he will be much more important on Saturday in front of Ben Haim and whoever else.

4. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Ivanovic?

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    right. I didn't want to put his name as I don't know his fitness status.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm estimating that he's at 60-75%. The Russian Premier Season ended in November and he says that he's been training. I've stated before that while training by yourself is good but he needs to adapt to a new team and new surroundings in the process. We were lucky with Anelka because he's used to England. I just wish that we didn't have to resort to Bane (Ivanovic, I like the name Bane) so early.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh good lord...is that his name.

I do hope he doesn't prove to be a bane for the team.

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You are right that missing JT has a lot to do with the phew and thank God for Cech factor, (though he missed a lot last year as well and we did'nt have Alex or Cech or even Carlo) though I still think in the details we play a very different way then the "Jose way" all over the pitch, especially away, even if generally we are taking a conservative efficient workmanlike approach. A lot of it is partly subjective, I always liked the "Jose way" more than many here did, including many of the the wise ol gits:D, and I am admitedly a bit biased in I just don't like Grant fairly or unfairly.

As long as what Grant does works as it has and against the big boys as well I'll be content but I still think though the general approach is very similar and to be fair to Grant really has to be with the players he inherited combined with the injuries & ANC, I think it is very different in the details, specific game tactics, subs etc to the "Jose way" so not really fair to either Grant or Jose to call it the same, similar results, so fair to argue either aproach is better or equal so far but less fair to say they are the same

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Heh, his full name is Branislav Ivanovic, Bane is his nickname. Now when I think of Bane I think of a Batman Super Villan who got extreme super strength through a bunch of wires and a mask. Also, the only way we can tell is when he plays. From the highlights I saw he looks good.

[​IMG]

10. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm. Not sure I like the 'brokeback' connotations from that picture :eek: