FA Cup Final vs Stoke City

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by chinesefootballfan, Apr 17, 2011.

1. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Getting a head start on this thread because Stoke City is leading 3-0 at the half.

I really wish it were Bolton. We don't match up well against Stoke City, and this is the same team that knocked us out of the FA cup last year after two legs.

Let's start the discussion.

2. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stoke were rampant today and if we underestimate them may pay for it.

Stoke, along with Everton, are our lower table bogey team of late. In our last four games against Stoke, we've not won a single one of them. Three 1-1 draws and a 3-1 loss, which knocked us out of the FA Cup 5th round last season.

I remember last season that Mancini was perplexed by Stoke's style, which is probably the most un-Italian footballing style imaginable. Long balls, rugby tackles (many of which aren't punished but should be), and a high tempo.

I think we can beat them but there is no such thing as an easy cup final (ask Arsenal, Birmingham rolled them over in the Carling Cup final) and Stoke will be amped up.

Also, Pulis will want his revenge. When we won the playoff final in '99 against Gillingham, that memorable day that may have saved our club from financial oblivion, Pulis managed them.

Mark Halsey was referee for that by the way and is one of the eligible refs to officiate the cup final. :eek:

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think we're screwed against Stoke City.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see 20,000 rags cheering against us at Wembley, even though it's not even their team. They really hate us badly based on some of the things I've read in their forum.

4. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I thought Bolton would make the Final.

They're 5 places higher in the table. Deserved a point at Old Trafford last time I saw them play. Got crushed though.

Stoke & Birmingham in Europe next season!

5. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see Stoke in Europe next season and a great result for them today. But after City's intensity at Wembley, I can't see them losing this one.

EDIT: Completely forgot that Pulis managed Gillingham. Looks like we're gonna have to disappoint him again!

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are all such city fans. Honestly... we could be playing accrington f*ckin stanley and we'd all still think we're going to lose.

7. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its our curse jugernaut. If I don't feel we are going to lose we end up getting beat. I am nervous about Stoke already and it will only grow worse as the game gets closer. FA Cup final I still can't wrap my head around it. :D

8. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a final City should win. They've got the better footballers and they know what they're going to get from Stoke. What they mustn't do is take Stoke City lightly. City have to be up for it, match them in the scrapping department but not get dragged down to Stoke's level. The simple rule of thumb should be to mix it where and when it matters but still let your class show through.

Stoke are a pub team. They are the Wimbledon of the new millenium. The only difference is that the Wimbledon that beat Liverpool in the final back in the 80's had a team full of personalities. Stoke are nobodies. Wimbledon were the Crazy Gang. They were completely irrepressible. Vinnie Jones was a thug but he was a thug with a plan. Robert Huth is just a thug. Brainless and not very skilled he's got away with a lot in the past, but his luck is due to run out.

Stoke are Long Ball Charlies. At the end of most of their games the ball has to be taken off on a stretcher...!! A throw in to Stoke anywhere in the City half is going to get launched towards the penalty area by Delap. Predictable. OK, it can put you under pressure but you know it's coming. Plan for it and learn to deal with it. Stoke don't have a Plan B. Thump the ball up to the box and scrap. They really are one-trick ponies.

Stoke are going to attempt to drag City down to their level. This mustn't be allowed to happen. City will have to cope with the rough stuff, soak up the aerial bombardment and when they get the ball, play their own game.

City really are favourites to win this FA Cup. This should be where they come of age as trophy contenders again. But to win it they are going to have to want it more than Stoke, they are going to have to compete with the physical intimidation and still play their own game. It will be a close contest, I think, because Stoke will graft hard and chase everything. City will just have to meet that head on and then beat them with superior skill.

Do that and I really do expect City to win. The only question is: Do the City players really want it more..?

9. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I know Stoke beat them by 5 goals, and I did not see the match so I dont know exactly how that worked out but Stoke, for me, were a team that we drew in november entirely due to a lack of cohesion and motivation at the Encyclopedia Britannica. Sure the next week we beat Bolton of all teams at Home, but looking at our lineup vs Stoke we had Balo and Tevez two players that I am convinced now and especially then, can not play together, we also had milner playing instead of Yaya toure, and the most damning thing about our line-up was his brother Kolo, who against direct teams like Stoke is just plain horrible. It was his complete flap at a header that set-up stoke's goal. Lescott, who has been playing much much better as of late, excels against teams that just chuck it up, also I doubt they will have a ball boy with a towel at wembley, maybe some lobster ceviche, but not a towel

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word if City will be carrying on the ol' tradition of wearing the Manchester Arms to the Cup Final, last worn at the '81 Final?