FA Cup 4th round REPLAY : Arsenal v Cardiff City [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Comments

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonsquad, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday, February 16th, 2009
    Kickoff: 2:45pm ET, 7:45pm GMT.
    TV: Setanta USA @ 2:45pm ET

Having failed to do the business in Cardiff, we now entertain the bluebirds at the Grove. Andrey "the Giant" Arshavin is ineligible but Eduardo could return. One thing we know for sure is that this game will not end in (yet another) draw. Would a nice 3-0 pasting be too much to ask for? Come on Arsenal!

2. UncleMike

UncleMike New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    If Cardiff City and their Soul Crew want to be in the Premier League next season -- and they have a shot at promotion -- let's show 'em what it's all about.

And if what I've heard about the CCSC is true, then they deserve a thorough beatin'. I'll see your 3-0 and raise you to 4-0.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I just want one thing. For Arsenal to score a ********ing goal.

oh, and for them to win. So, two things.

4. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So... our front seven. Diaby and Eboue are both out, right? So who's it gonna be?

------------------ Bendtner
    --------- van Persie
    Nasri -- Denilson -- Song -- ????

Maybe we'll see some creative solution with Eduardo in the Starting XI... or maybe we'll see Mr. Wilshere.

5. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I thought it was only a 1 game suspension for Diaby. I could be wrong though. If he's available I could see us going back to the Nasri-Diaby-Song-Denilson lineup. If he's not, perhaps instead of putting Wilshere in as a starter we'll see either Vela or Eduardo on the left.

6. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wasn't Diaby suspended and hurt? I guess you're right though, he may be recovered by then. Not that I'd be excited, at all, by that four-man midfield.

7. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Score a goal.

Thanks.

8. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think you're probably right about that, but I can't find info about a Diaby injury on Arsenal.com (although that may not mean anything). I agree that I wouldn't be all that excited by that 4 man midfield either.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Diaby was suspended for the spurs match, but we have no idea about his injury... that was never talked about

10. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well I just remember reading something on Arsenal.com that said Diaby had the "unique distinction of being both hurt and suspended" for the Spurs match.

Who knows.

11. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    Just posted this in the Eduardo thread:

Eduardo assisted Niko Kranjcar for the game's winning goal in Croatia 2-1 win vs Romania. Eduardo didnt have any real chances but he played tough, was slide tackling, and running a lot, and his passing and movements looked sharp.

I think he will get some playing time against Cardiff. Definately has to.

12. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    maybe a cameo for dudu vs. cardiff, but i dont expect him to play a major part. wouldnt be surprised to see him wait for a weekend league game, which will have a better crowd... i dont know what the turnout will be on monday

13. Cheeks31

Cheeks31 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Wallingford, CT
    I would love to see the Arsenal finally put a few in the back of the net. Being at the local pub supporting our gunners and not being able to break from a draw is tough when everyone is rooting against.

I second 3-0 to the Arsenal!

14. LeGooner

LeGooner Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I see 2-0......to the Arsenal!

1 for Dudu and the other for Ramsey, he played pretty bad in the first leg. I imagine if he starts, he'll play better.

15. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  16. TheArgonaut

TheArgonaut Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Injury news from Arsene
    Personally, with Adebayor now injured I don't see the point in holding back Eduardo anymore. I really hope he gets some playing time as a striker or on the left against Cardiff. And it looks like we're heading for a Denilson-Song CM combo. I'd rather Clichy were not risked...I'd put him on the bench and start Gibbs.

17. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Knowing Arsene, and I think I do, Eduardo will come on with about 30 minutes to go, no matter what the scoreline.

At home, against a team they know they should beat, I think this will be easier than we think- 2-0 to le arse.

18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
  19. UncleMike

UncleMike New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I recently picked up March of the Hooligans by Dougie Brimson. He describes Cardiff City as being "known more for the quality of their hooligan firm than for the quality of their football, which is piss-poor."

I'd rather not rely on that coming true. Instead of hoping they'll be "piss-poor" enough to make it 1-0 to the Arsenal, let's take a page from the Republican Party and "Drill, baby, drill!" In other words, keep the pressure on 'em and control the ball and pound 'em with shots so they're exhausted and can't hold out. That alone, even if they don't make any mistakes, should lead to at least 2-0 to the Wengermen.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nasri is one ugly dude

if he wasnt a football player hed be single with peter crouch

21. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, where do we stand with injuries? probable line-up...

Eboue is out! Thank god! Ramsey got a "tricky" injury during the INTL' break, so he is probably out. Arshavin isn't Eligible for this game. Diaby is presumably, still injured. Clichy is questionable, stemming from that nasty head gash.

Could we see a 4-5-1?

fabianski
    sagna-djorou-gallas-gibbs
    -----------Toure
    --------denilson---song
    --JFW-----------------Vela
    -------------Bendtner

Subs-clichy, eduardo, almunia, nasri, merida,ramsey, coquelin?

or the 4-4-2?

Fabianski
    sagna-Toure-Djorou-Gibbs
    Nasri-Song-Denilson-Vela
    RVP-Bendtner

Subs-gallas, almunia, eduardo, clichy, ramsey, JFW, merida

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC