FA Community Shield: Arsenal vs. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by BrianCappellieri, Aug 11, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Sunday, August 11th
    Live at 9am EST on PPV

Community Shield preview

Liverpool take on double winners Arsenal at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, tomorrow afternoon looking to retain the newly titled Community Shield and lift the first silverware of the new season...

Shankly Gates

Michael Owen and Emile Heskey are expected to lead the Liverpool attack against Arsenal in the Charity Shield tomorrow...
    Kop Talk

Houllier aiming to silence Gunners in season curtain-raiser

Liverpool coach Gerard Houllier refuses to take Sunday's Community Shield clash against Arsenal lightly and expects his players to treat the season curtain-raiser at the Millennium Stadium like a final...

World Soccer News

New-boys miss Shield opener

New duo Gilberto Silva and Fabian Carini cannot play against Liverpool in the Community Shield as the pair still await international clearance...

TeamTalk

Houllier keen for Cardiff win

Gerard Houllier insists there is nothing friendly about the Community Shield clash with Arsenal and the Liverpool boss is desperate for a win...

TeamTalk

2. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Curtain Raiser In Cardiff

Arsenal v Liverpool | Community Shield
    Sun 11 August | 1400 BST
    Live on BBC Radio Five Live

Arsenal and Liverpool meet in the annual curtain raiser at Cardiff in what should be a fascinating duel between two of England's top teams...

BBC

3. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Teamsheet for Liverpool:
    Jerzy Dudek
    Abel Xavier
    Djimi Traore
    Sami Hyypia
    Stephane Henchoz
    Dietmar Hamann
    Steven Gerrard
    John Arne Riise
    El-Hadji Diouf
    Michael Owen
    Emile Heskey
    subs :
    Chris Kirkland
    Danny Murphy
    Milan Baros
    Bruno Cheyrou
    Jamie Carragher
    Markus Babbel
    Vladimir Smicer

4. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Questionable yellow card to Gerrard (6 min I believe) for tackle against Vieira. Even Arsenal players protest the call!

5. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Corner to Arsenal, grabbed by Dudek.

6. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Run by Cole down left side as Heskey fell and Xavier was nowhere to be found; Hyppia makes saving tackle on Henry.

7. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    13 and a half minutes in, 0-0.

8. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Good block by Xavier on effort by Bergkamp in the box.

9. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    17 minutes in, 0-0 still.

10. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Three great saves by Dudek!!! Defense stands still as Dudek comes up huge. First on Henry, then two on Bergkamp.

11. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Pretty much one-way traffic so far (as if you couldn't tell)

12. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Wiltord booked for tackle 23 minutes in. Liverpool free kick 35 yards away from goal headed away.

13. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    25 minutes gone, no score.

14. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Arsenal wins free kick 40 yards out taken by Edu off of the face of Riise. Liverpool clears.

15. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Good ball from Owen gives Heskey a chance, but shot goes right at Seaman.

16. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Owen beats a few players off the dribble, and is fouled. Arsenal player booked (Edu I believe). 32 minutes gone, and so am I. I must go to church. Go Reds!

17. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Mr. Duff . . .

FT Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 0

Personally, I thought the team took 15 minutes or so to get in the groove, but then had a far better run of play than Arsenal for the rest of the game.

I was far from impressed with Traore. He had zero presence out there, showed nothing with the ball, and was standing flat on his feet for the goal. Frankly, he stunk up the joint for us.

Xavier looked a step behind. I don't know if it's age, or not being in the flow of the season yet.

Diouf looked good. This was the first game I saw with him in red, and I came in a bit skeptical, but he showed quite a bit of skill on the ball. I am a very glass half empty guy, but I think he might be the spark we need to take a little presure of of Michael up front.

Soeaking of which, Michael was not on his A game. The turf didn't help (he lost his footing a couple of times which cost him good scoring chances), but on the whole it just wasn't his day.

Stevie looked pretty good, he came out chippy, got booked 10 minutes in, and had another nasty tackle minutes later, but turned in his usual solid performance.

As you could tell from the title of the thread, I was rather disappointed with our midfield possession at times. Stevie was great as usual, but Hamman was missing his spark, and as I said, Traore stunk. If we only had Duff, (or Emerton, or . . . ) I feel we could have won 2-0.

Good to see Babbel back. He was a late sub, and looked like his old self for the 10 minutes he was out there. Baros and Cheryou came in late too, and didn't get a fair shot to make their mark on the game.

Dudek looked solid. Nothing he could have done on the goal, and he had a world-class sequence of three saves in about 6 seconds that left me on my feet applauding.

I'm rather POed that they lost, seeing as I only get to see them on the telly twice a year or so. (The scum get every CL game screened on ESPN though. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

Anyhow, that's enough ranting. Anything I missed, or anything anybody disagrees with?

18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Thanks SuperElf and khsoccergeek
    Disappointing result and it sounds like a disappointing game for us.

I just hate to be held to ransom by PPV TV for $20.00 it's just bloody extortion..!
    I could see maybe $10 and I think they would get 3 times the people paying up.

19. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, $20 kind of stunk, but I only get to see the boys once a year IF I'm lucky during ESPN CL brodcasts. Anyways, the last match I paid $20 for was the FA Cup Final against Arsenal, which was AMAZING. Too bad I didn't get a similar result . . .

Oh well. Give the boys some time to get on the same page (especially Owen/Diouf, yowzer!), and we'll start clicking off the results.

20. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and another note, for those who didn't see it, we were playing a 4-3-3 for the first time in awhile. I personally didn't think too highly of it, as Heskey didn't really get himself into the game, and we struggled at times putting pressure on Arsenal as they moved through the midfield.

Anybody wildly in favor of it? Now that I think about it, it might have been productive if Traore wasn't stinking up the joint and/or Hamman could have contributed a bit more, but it's NOT something I'd want to run out every game, unless Baros becomes a world-beater, and we have to choose between sitting him or Diouf.

Comments?

21. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Match Reports

Gilberto Silva puts Arsenal back in groove

Another day, another medal. Exactly six weeks after Gilberto Silva took his turn to lift the World Cup in Yokohama, the Brazilian midfielder picked up another, somewhat less auspicious winner's memento in Cardiff yesterday after scoring a debut goal which Arsenal's superiority merited in a scrappy, rain-swept Community Shield encounter against Liverpool...

The Independent

Gilberto's Community service

BBC Sport Online analyses Gilberto Silva's goal for Arsenal against Liverpool in the Community Shield
    Gilberto Silva capped a fine performance on his debut for Arsenal by scoring the decisive goal against Liverpool in the Community Shield...

BBC

Gerrard should have been sent off - Wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard should have been sent off in their 1-0 Community Shield win on Sunday for what the Frenchman branded a reckless challenge on Patrick Vieira...

SoccerNet

HOULLIER NOT WORRIED BY COMMUNITY DEFEAT

Gerard Houllier remained unconcerned, despite seeing his Liverpool side outplayed by Arsenal in the Community Shield at Cardiff...

Sky Sports

SENEGAL STAR MUST STAY ON HIS FEET: BRUCE

Steve Bruce believes Liverpool new boy El Hadji Diouf must learn to stay on his feet if he is going to be a success in the Premiership...

Sky Sports

Houllier: We had too much respect for Gunners

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier claimed his side showed Arsenal 'too much respect' in their 1-0 Community Shield defeat in Cardiff this afternoon...

SoccerNet

22. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short-

The 4-3-3 looked like three forwards waiting for someone to deliver them a goal.

Diouf tracked back for the ball more than Hesky or Owen. In fact, it almost looked as if Diouf was playing as a wide right attacking midfielder. Which I realize sounds silly.

Owen shanked a very good opportunity.

I think Xavier was a lot worse the Traore, personally. Was it at the about the 70 minuite mark that Arsenal figured out that they could just bring the ball up Xavier's side and he would deploy his "Matador" defense?

I kept waiting for Riise to do something.

Gerrard deserved the yellow. It was a scissor-tackle. Not that I don't think Viera didn't earn it later, as he stood over Diouf, yelling at him after he took him down in the box.

Don't stay up until 3 am drinking and such if you want to wake up at 9 am and be comfortable.

LFC just didn't have thier cutting edge, but I still feel like things will be just fine in a few more weeks.

I'm just glad this didn't count for League.

Oh yeah, I think the black and grey looked really sharp- I better be getting a long sleeved version, as well as an Auxerre home jersey for my b-day. I have certainly given my girlfriend enough hints.

23. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so that wasn't really short. My apologies.

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the new away kit sucks big ones. It's 'orrible. Ah well - each to their own.

I also thought Traore did well. He's been a revelation this pre-season. His possession was assured yesterday (including neat sidestep of Viera and Parlour in quick succession midway through the first half).

Riise had a poor game and Hamann is clearly carrying a knock, and in the week that we sold Stephen Wright the sight of Abel Xavier was just depressing, but there you go.

Midfield is still not producing enough for the forwards to work with. Same problem as last season. Let's see if the number 11 shirt that has yet to be assigned is filled before the close of the transfer window on August 31.