F52: USA v. Netherlands, 7 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jul 4, 2019.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I generally like Rapinoe, she's a high-profile player, but the excessive way in which the media focuses on her and her views has got a bit tiresome--to me, anyway. The media of course always needs its "stars," and so it's all about Rapinoe...constantly. I wonder if some of the other 22 on the squad don't find it a bit annoying as well. Morgan gets a fair amount of attention as well, and others get interviewed sporadically, of course--but it's mostly Rapinoe.... endlessly.

Kakeru repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides being a star on the team who scores goals, she's also a captain. (Same goes for Morgan.) Why would she not be interviewed regularly? The same would be true for any team's captain(s) and stars. Do you feel the same way about Kerr or Marta?

And yes, Rapinoe being outspoken has something to do with why the media focuses on her as well, but the media focus also might be because her outspokenness and honesty makes for a good interview as this journalist points out: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/05/megan-rapinoe-usa-womens-world-cup

blissett repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    GroveWanderer repped this.
  4. :ROFLMAO:If one of the others would say feck those two she would be buried under microphones trying to get the latest word from her lips:p

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wiegman said that Martens availability will be a game day decision.

6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I actually do think Kerr could be interviewed less.

7. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

What the hell is she talking about? The FIFA Women's World Cup final will start at 11:00 AM Eastern while the Copa America final and the Gold Cup final will start respectiveley at 4:00 PM Eastern and 9:00 PM Eastern. The women's final has an entire timeslot for them. What other federations choose to do is none of FIFA's business.

Besides, I'm sure a bunch of African countries would be in the mood to criticize FIFA for putting women's 3rd place match at a time when it overlaps a classic between Nigeria and Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations. How would Rapinoe feel if she got some backlash from those African countries? Let me guess: she would think they're just ****hole countries.

Tell me why no one is bothered to tell Rapinoe that it is better to shut up at times.

Orange14 and MrOranjeBal repped this.
  8. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't seen the interview, but 99 out of 100 players react to (stupid/leading/insinuating) questions.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is not a chance in the world she would think or say say that. Her history makes that obvious. Shame on you.

thesis, soccernutter and jocasta repped this.
  10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you, but I believe she was more trying to make a point about the respect the men receive vs the women. I personally have no knowledge about who schedules events, but she was asking the question about whether the men's WC final would have any other events scheduled on the same day?

jnielsen and BigJbaz repped this.
  11. Well, let's face it and Rapinoe too. In Europe women football was a couple of years ago in the public eye non existent. About 5 years ago the Orange Lionesses match wouldnot even been broadcasted. From that to being the most watched football match in the last 5 years for the semi vs Sweden with over 5 million watching is spectaculair. More people watched it in the Netherlands than the Orange team's Nation League Final against Portugal. Can't imagine how many it will be on Sunday. So for women soccer things are changing fast in a positive sense.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #87 Kakeru, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    As far as I know, MLS plays matches on the same day as the Champions League final (which I believe to be the second most watched football match on the planet) although in the early evening. That pisses me off because there is not much time for me to get on my way to the stadium and watch my hometown MLS team play should they be scheduled to play a home game just after the CL final. However, I'm also aware that scheduling matches is a decision that only belongs to each and every football governing body.

I could complain all I want about that, but what is the point? They would come back and say that there is no broadcasting overlap whatsoever, so they wouldn't care about how MLS fans feel.

Voilà. Women's football keeps on gaining popularity quickly in countries where male football was overwhelmingly dominant because of extraordinary team performances by women's teams. And besides, the WWC final is not in such a bad position for television audiences. It is why I was deliberately bringing up the example of African football getting overshadowed on TV by the WWC, the CC, and the GC all together. When one compares the situation to other instances, this ain't so bad at all.

As the French saying goes: Quand on compare, on se console.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Actually the dates have to be approved by FIFA to go on the FIFA calendar that sets release windows for international competitions.

JimWharton and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are CONMEBOL and CONCACAF tournaments, but all stakeholders are involved in the scheduling, and that definitely includes FIFA. And the WWC was definitely on the FIFA calendar first. When asked for a CONCACAF response, they admitted it was an error and CONMEBOL said something to the effect of no one had thought about it. No one had thought about it?! That's the point.

15. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I am expecting the US to win, but I think it might get interesting if they do not score early. The US are also the fitter team in my opinion.

I do have a question for the Americans though. In four years time do you think you will have a team capable of winning the world cup?

I do not follow the American league, so I do not know what young players you have coming through. But your current squad seems kind of old, so I am wondering if there are any concerns for the long term future?

16. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    According to Erwan le Provost, the head of the tournament's organizing committee:

In an article published on the ESPN website, it is pointed out that, although Paris has traditionally hosted most international sports tournaments held in France in the past:

The article goes on to say that:

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The thought of US getting their 4th star today is slowly embracing my mind, but they deserve it, really :whistling: Seriously just a really good football team that I always get impressed by

Now if the Netherlands can show off a better side of their attack today and a disciplined defense then ... perhaps :rolleyes:

kolabear repped this.
  18. 206 minutes to go
    Let the lionesses roar
    [​IMG]

Kakeru repped this.
  19. Where's that Bald Eagle?
    [​IMG]

jnielsen and MrOranjeBal repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kakeru repped this.
  21. thesis, Kakeru, MrOranjeBal and 2 others repped this.
  22. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    kolabear and blissett repped this.
  23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, there definitely are some concerns. The US' front line is aging and will likely be completely different in 2023 (if they qualify). I think Morgan and Press are going to be the only ones still remaining once the next cycle begins. And the goalkeepers haven't been spectacular since Solo was fired.

But there is a vast pool of young talent in both the college system and the NWSL who are just waiting for their opportunity. Once the older players are gone, there are quality replacements ready to be brought in. So I think the US does have the player base to build another WC-winning squad in 4 years (again, assuming they do qualify). But it'll be harder to win because the rest of the world is continuing to improve.