F52: USA v. Netherlands, 7 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Let's that Miedema just doesn't cut it against the US defenders, what is the contingency plan for Sara Wiegman? In other words: who could Wiegman send to replace Miedema during the match if she looks very poor against Sauerbrunn and Dahlkemper?

kolabear repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I too would have liked to have seen Miedema make more runs in this tourney, but as Blisset said, making long runs is not really her style. She is used to getting good service and finding (or creating) a bit of space to get her shot away--and when she can get her shot away she can put it in the net--but she has not found space in this tournament, by and large, and as clearly been frustrated at times. But she's also gotten a lot of attention from defenders--been tightly marked. She might find some space in this game if the Dutch can get the ball into the middle of the pitch.

Van de Donk was interviewed today by Dutch TV and called the Americans "rather arrogant." Is she wrong? I don't think so. She mentioned that Rapinoe was being interviewed a day or two before the semifinal against England, and paused and said at one point: "Who are we playing again?" I had not heard that.

Morgan's teacup gesture after scoring was disrespectful. She was interviewed about it today and seemed completely clueless about the criticism she's received for it. She seems to believe that she was criticized for merely celebrating--she mentioned the many ways in which men celebrate goals--when that was not the case. She's been criticized for a foolish gesture that seemed to mock England. She says she got the idea from a British actress on Game of Thrones who signs off her Instagram posts with "And now for some tea" or somesuch. And that would be fine--but of course nobody watching is going to know that and, besides, it comes off as disrespectful anyway, given the English fondness for tea. Celebrate all you want--but don't mock the opponent. I found her explanation/defense rather lame.

blissett and Kakeru repped this.
  3. First there's no defender that can shut her out on her own the whole match. The moment she gets a chance it's red alert.
    The way to try to shut her out is to double mark her, which isnot a good idea as that leaves one of the other attackers unmarked.
    Miedema's first duty is to be a menace to the goalie, not to dominate Sauerbrunn or Dahlkemper. She just has to profit from their slips. If it's up to Sarina Wiegmans and Viv Miedema both Yanks may dominate her for 89 minutes, when in those 60 seconds she scores goals.
    So Miedema is Plan A, B and C ...till Z.

blissett and Orange14 repped this.
  4. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's the accumulation of incidents like the teacup gesture that brings me to dislike the USWNT over the years no matter how talented they are. Back on Morgan, her excuse is nothing but a load of [insert any Game of Thrones insult here]. On the context of international football, be it World Cup or Olympics, it should be self-evident for everyone to avoid trolling the other team as much as possible. Even so, I keep wishing that one non-US player down the road will get into Morgan and Rapinoe's heads so much that one of the two would get sent off on a bonkers moment.

In the context of the men's game for instance, there is a good reason why I don't like the overexuberance of Jesse Lingard and Antoine Griezmann when they celebrate goals. They like to rub it into the faces of their opponents, and we don't need that. Such players should feel lucky that laws of the game protect them nowadays because they would have tasted the wrath of any hard man out there (Keane, Vieira, Gattuso, Stam, Van Buyten, Frings, etc.) if they played the game 15 years ago.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    She plays the full 90. The only other option is Beerensteyn and she will be needed on the wing tomorrow.

blissett repped this.
  6. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Ahh... you guys have no sense of fun.
    I loved “Tea Ceremony”. It’s actually an inside joke so you wouldn’t get it.

The team has a spirit like no other and I hope to see a joint or 2 being smoked by our girls.

You’ll get that one ....duidelijk.

JimWharton repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've moved past Phil Neville territory with this post. Creating much ado about nothing.
    Van de Donk has herself been doing a lot of talking to the media lately. I hope she can back it up.
    IMO, Morgan was trolling the British media with her teacup celebration.
    For those of us that follow the USWNT, we know that our ladies have a lot of respect for the English players and team. And ALL teams, really.

JimWharton repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Meh.

The USA and the Netherlands played their last group stage matches on the same day (June 20)
    Since then they have had exactly the same number of rest days.

And the USA played on shorter rest than Spain, France, and England.
    Spain and France each had two extra days.

The fact is unless you are the host, you are going to have to play a match on short rest.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she is being criticized, at least in part, because of how the US players celebrated v. Thailand after the 4th/5th goal. But Morgan's celebration - people are getting in a twist over very little, IMO.

Not necessarily. GoT is rather popular, and I'm sure that actress has many followers on Insta who are also fans of the USWNT. It is a simple explanation, and has about as much value in noting as Marta wearing lipstick.

Mind, I'm not being "Don't hate on the US." Hate all you want, but this is being petty, much ado about nothing.

JimWharton, CoachJon, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    From the referee forum:

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sipping the tea" and "and that's the tea" are fairly common slang phrases nowadays along with all of the Kermit sipping tea memes. A large portion of the population understood it instantly. It had nothing to do with mocking the opponent or a British tradition, but was a dig at all the negative press and haters.

I understand when you're on the top for so long, people are going to hate the one on top. I get it; its why I hate Real Madrid. I also fully accept that some of the USWNT players have huge egos. You don't get to that position without it. But I also think people are just looking for things now to hate the US for, and finding it in every little thing.

12. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Initially, I mistook the tea-thingy in the game against England for exactly that.
    Or perhaps a cigar (a tiny one). I thought it strange, as you can imagine.;)

It was only after the UK newspapers started to make a fuss about it, I realized she meant drinking tea.

I thought the whole thing was completely blown out of proportion, but evidently these days the English don't like to be reminded of the fact their Empire is gone (even though they like to remind others of how great and wonderful it was constantly).

Anywhoooo, I would imagine the Dutch to take such things a little less seriously.

Besides, if there has to be a historical reference, it would be nice to remember the Dutch actually supported you back then:whistling:

blissett repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It would be nice, but not entirely accurate.
    If there had to be a historical reference it might be that Stadholder William V prince of Orange ( Willem Batavus) was related to and on the side of George III. He lived out his life in exile in London and was the last Stadholder of the Dutch republic.
    Fighting between William and the Patriots was the Netherlands own civil war.
    The rest of the Dutch were of a mixed lot, partially depending on profitable trade with the Americans through the West Indies. On the whole, the Dutch were neutral in American eyes.

14. Yeah, without us financing the wars it could have ended completely different.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Of all the takes on the Morgan celebration I think the idea that it somehow rubbed it into England that ‘their empire has gone’ is the most idiotic :ROFLMAO:

soccernutter and CoachJon repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of people are confusing confidence and arrogance. There is a difference.
    To be really, really good for a long time (i.e., consistently), you need to have confidence.
    To some, that comes of as cockiness, but when you've heard the countless conversations and interviews of these players, you realize they are just brimming with confidence (i.e., the players and the team as a whole).

17. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1147204079417999360

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The difference at times is very subjective though. So it’s down to peoples perception. Teams or individuals that do similar get the same type of critique. So I can’t see how it is some type of anti-Americanism (Not you but a few people have brought that up).

It is strange in team sport that you can have a large majority of players that are reserved and respectful. If you still have those few that are shall we say ‘over confident’ it gets placed on the whole team.

I guess some teams just aren’t likeable to neutrals. Not really a big deal either way.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. Nope. The player in a tv interview referring to the Orange team as who are we playing against on sunday isnot portraying confidence but disgusting arrogance.
    In the old days such a player would be flattened upon first attempt to play the ball to let it be clear who he was playing against.

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would need to see that interview, because without context it makes no sense.
    Personally, I don't like arrogance, but as Barry said above, the whole team can get labeled for one or two players' poor attitudes.

21. That's true, but it comes in handy to rally the troops against the opponent.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. I quoted van de Donk incorrect.
    She referred to Rapinoe's remark in the interview before the semi against England with the remark that she didnot know who they were going to play against.

23. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    The British generally suffer from an endemic ‘lack of confidence’ so when they see it at the stratospheric level of the USWNT they misinterpret this as being ‘bigheaded’ or ‘arrogant’ which is the wrong application of the word.

24. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you lil one foryour explanation of sipping the tea. I had no idea. I do vaguely recall having seen the meme once in my life, but that makes perfect sense. And posters are correct in saying it's no big deal.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I saw the interview and I believe it happened almost right after the US beat France. Some of the context is being lost or manipulated imo. It came across not as a slight to England but more of a I (the team implied) don’t know who we are playing next because we were only focused on this match against France. One game at a time mentality.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.