EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it! Ahn has apparently agreed to sign with...

Discussion in 'Korea' started by K_19, Jul 10, 2005.

1. johlee_99

johlee_99 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Coppell, TX
    Hehe... Oh yeah. Ahn is going to have a hard time finding quality Korean food. Wouldn't have to worry about that if he ever came to LA, like HMB did. Oh well.... Good luck, Ahn! Try not to boink all the fine French honeys there before gameday!

2. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    IMO, that would be a step down for him. K-League is better I think than MLS.

3. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Eck, MLS? I thought they pay even less in the US than K-League. And if he wanted play time he could've just stayed in J-League.

4. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    No, please, do.

5. sebcoe

sebcoe Red Card

Jan 14, 2005
    This was all in fun, but actually when you think about it, he'll probably already be rather washed up after a year in France, so he should think about it, as they have a slower game in MLS.

I can't believe someone on this forum suggested that Ahn still has 8 years of playing left. Ahn is no Seo Jung won. There aren't many things more frustrating than seeing a player who is both lazy and over-the-hill.

6. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    so is this deal basically done??

7. forzakr

forzakr New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The Korean press seems to say so

8. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    dunno what this means but found this on the official FC Metz website looks like it says something about a work permit or something but yeah would be great if someone could translate:

http://www.football-club-de-metz.com/news_detail.asp?num=3245

Ahn pas encore messin

Après l’abandon de la piste Antchouet et l’échec du transfert de Mendoza, le Club à la Croix de Lorraine s’échine à faire venir un attaquant pour renforcer son effectif. Ce dernier pourrait être Ahn, comme évoqué dans la presse ce week-end, mais rien n’est fait pour le moment. Il manque un document au dossier pour que le transfert de l’attaquant vedette de l’équipe de Corée du Sud puisse être conclu définitivement. Lundi soir, le joueur a rencontré le président Carlo Molinari et repartira chez lui dans la foulée. Il est prévu qu’il revienne à Metz dimanche prochain tandis que le précieux papier est attendu dans la semaine.

11/07/2005 | Site officiel FC Metz

9. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    the average mls player makes around 35k a year. very few make 100k a year, which is what i use as a cut off point for being well off. there's like only one or two players per team that command such a salary. no way would i come to the united states to play, unless you have a special reason, like you come from a country that may or may not pay your wages or, like hong myung bo, a chance to learn english and get accredited for a coaching badge. i doubt that anyone outside of the united states considers the mls a decent league, though it is improving. i seriously doubt ahn would consider the move to the states unless he was totally at the end of his career. but in that case, why not just move back to korea?

yeah...fc metz damn well not get relegated. they finished like 15-16th last year in ligue 1 :eek: . i wonder how ahn chose metz.

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Are you serious? Sorry if I take this number with a grain of salt. That is the starting salary of an undergrad. Do you have any sources?

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    35K? It probably isn't too far off.

A few years back, the maximum one can pay to an MLS player was around $100k/year. But you know about my diminishing memory capacity. :eek:

12. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562134198

i remember reading this. i had to google it again. i was off on the one or two 100k thing. some guys like donovan make 300k, but then, brian ching makes 32k and some guy on colorado makes 15k. wtf! why the hell would you play for 15k!! this list is a bit dated and can't be the entire league.

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    well, the French League is where the quality of the teams is most evenly distributed in Europe. While FC Metz did come 16th last season, the 4th placed team earned only 10 points more than them, making it heavily congested in the middle. Also PSG, the team that came 2nd in 2003-04, came only 10th last season, which is just another example of the even-ness of the league. So there's every chance of Metz winning a place in the next season's european competition with a decent signing or two, and Ahn could just be that crucial factor in FC Metz's future success (provided that he adapts fast, of course).

14. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    yeah. but imagine if fc metz only drop a few more games.

ok...moving on to positives, ahn will win fc metz those games :D .

15. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Hmm. I am not big fan of Ahn but I will watch French league games to catch a glimpse of him. Only if Lee YP would move to another team but PSV, I may watch his games also.

Man, I am gonna be glued to a TV to see KNT boys in action in Bundesliga, Premium league, and French league. Come on, LYP, comen on LYP, come on LYP ... :D

16. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I guess you'll be getting your money's worth in the next season of football :)

17. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It just says that after their (FC Metz) failure to get Mendoza, their search for another forward will lead to Ahn as reported by the press last weekend. Nothing's settled at the moment tho, cuz he lacks documents (they don't specify) to finalize his signing. MON nite, he met club prez Carlo Molinari and they predict he'll return to Metz this coming SUN while the club await the 'precious' documents to arrive during the week.

looks like a done deal basically. time for everybody to check out CANAL+ :)

18. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i agree, as far as the 'lesser' leagues go, Ligue 1 has a lot of parity. is it really true that he didn't like Italian food? i am truly dumbfounded. well, learning French in that short a time period is out of the question. let's just hope he gets used to Engleesh weez a Franche accent. he should have himself a ball for a year. good food, good wine and good scenery (of the right kind ;)) i hope he likes donkasu, they serve a lot of it in that region. either way, Paris is not far away (by TGV) and there are enough Koreans in Paris for him to get his Kimchi :D .

19. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

well,

i am not a big fan of france period and that ranges from wine, food, football, and etc...i hope he used this as a showcase stage to get to some of other top european stages like spain or england....either way, i hope he keeps his pride inside and just focus on football and represent....

tae

20. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    TV5 is free here in Canada. altho they mostly show PSG - Lyon - Monaco. i think they pick up the Canal+ feed.

21. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i think you will get your wish. this is a good venue for him. a couple of good games against Lyon, Marseille, Monaco or PSG alone, could get him well on his way.

22. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    I found those games pretty entertaining. I watched some F-league matches last year and I've enjoyed it.

23. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    cheers for the translation Kanuck

24. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yah, there can be some barnburner matches with a lot of creative play. as the Eredivisie has opened many people's eyes who would not have taken an interest in Dutch football, i hope Ahn's presence will do the same for us (we fans) in France. def an underrated league. after all, it was only 2 seasons ago that Ronaldinho was @ PSG.

25. FM 2005

FM 2005 New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Paris
    I prefered that Ahn Jung-Hwan signed for PSG ... Maybe it is better that he is at FC Metz, he will have much time to play ...