Expired infractions on MyBigSoccer

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by NachoNation, Apr 5, 2011.

1. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If they are expired why do they not get deleted from MyBigSoccer homepage?

Not a huge deal but it would be nice if they no longer show up there. Don't see the reason why it's not gone once it's expired.

2. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Only you and Mods can see them. They are there for Mods to get an idea of priors. They are actually are really helpful to Mods IMO because it lets us know if you are a repeat or not.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the inconvenience, but also as TTM said, they are useful in many cases (and also prevents us from a double jeopardy issue every now and then).

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    can you ck on mine?

I was given couple of infractions, that mounted to 12 pts for y card?
    but, I was not aware that the same will give you 'banned status' from the forum I got silenced from?

the ****** mod in charge colombian subforums, is a part time dude, and could not explain the situation well? can you?

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone can check their own infractions. Click on your own name/profile, open the infractions tab, and then look at the expiration dates for each one.

The mods in the Colombia forum should be able to explain how long your ban is. This may be different from when the infractions expire.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Really a shame that we are getting so many complaints about you and you are talking about a mod like that. You'd think you'd understand it's a thankless job and not make it harder for them.

7. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yeah how do you complain about mods?

if they get paid, some of them are doing a terrible job. i have a yellow card for absolutely no reason.

it took them like a f... year to get rid of my last one, one of my friends, cuzcatleco wont post in here anymore because of that, and he was here posting 24/7 everyday.

no even if they are doing it for free, they need to do a better effin job.

8. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Image not working

10. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't really stand by efernadez and I don't care, but based on my experience from reading in these forums and based on my interaction with you, IMO it's the pot calling the kettle black with that statement.

you don't, their word is the law so to speak. you shut up and mind your own business or you get infracted more, or you might just piss of all of the mods in that forum you go to. I certainly think people paying for this site, might take their business elsewhere if that's the respect users get.

I always found it funny how regular users can be granted such authority in such a short manner and then let it get to their head. It may be a thankless job, but that doesn't give the "people in charge of the rules" to be so dense or unreachable. If you can't handle it or if the 'job' is driving you nuts, quit, step down, give it to someone whose capable of dealing with the politics or whatnot.

I digress, what do I know. I suspect the constant complaints in customer service go ignored or continuously side with the numerous moderator complaints. This site has standards to uphold.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not totally sure what you mean by my making the mods job harder, but regarding your experience with me, while I was a little slow, I did finally come around to supporting their 100% unified position on you. ;)

12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course and I didn't make a big deal about it over here. After it was pointless to try to logically show you both sides of the argument, I ended it.

Albeit, you have the same type of single field view when you post in every thread in this forum.

I seem to have excellent discussions with people in real life, with well educated people without getting into altercations or being dismissed entirely.

I'm not surprised you would go with a 100% unified position with people this site picked. Furthermore, I'm not surprised you began increasing and threatening infractions on a whim because you considered the private discussion irritating. Excellent choice to keep someone quiet, by threatening them.

And that's all that has to be said on that.

13. toslat

toslat New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    (someone should correct if I am wrong) Seems there is no system in place to provide feedback on how well/poorly a mod is performing his/her duties, talk less of a control system to effect appropriate actions. If that is true, then the whole system is fundamentally flawed. A lack of a feedback and control system over the mods leaves the door open to tin gods.

As to it being a thankless job, like any other unpaid/volunteer service, I doubt anyone is being forced to be a mod. if you cant do a good job unless you are paid for it, then simply QUIT. If you volunteer to do a job, then do it right, and you should be open to feedback that would help you do the job better.

Personally, I do not want to be part of such a system, and will rather stop visiting the site altogether.

14. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure what you mean, but mods should be open to feedback about doing a better job, and there are ways to give feedback on or complain about mods - to supermods, to me, and here.

15. toslat

toslat New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thats an ad hoc solution, and even so, responses (including yours in https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1674572) have shown it to be likely ineffectual. Most mods seem to think and act like its a one way street - their way or the highway, and never think they can be in the wrong. Moderating should be more of communicating and educating, than handing out penalties. It shouldn't be an adversarial process.

An example of a possible system would be a periodic public review, where all posters that have been active (within the last period) on a board being moderated by said mod (including those that are both his friends and those he might have penalized) get to give their feedback. This could be a simple survey and/or poll.

Selectively 1v1 reviews where it behooves the aggrieved to complain (like you described) are typically ineffective feedback systems and easily turn adversarial.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I agree with much of what you say - but just want to point out that not all complaints here are "dead ends" - we recently had complaints that hastened a mod coming down from a forum he/she was moderating, and we've had complaints result in mod's stepping down.

In my opinion, our moderators are adults and are capable of admitting to mistakes and making adjustments - it's one of the most important qualities of a mod, in my opinion, and we routinely discuss decisions that are made and whether they were the right course of action. The thread you linked to that I was involved in - that was an imperfect solution to a peculiar problem - and while I think the complainants were too focused on the "why me" which made their situation worse, their act of complaining certainly would make us think twice about handling that kind of situation the same way again. Not saying that we wouldn't, but it also doesn't fall on completely deaf ears - the mods of the forum had a number of discussions about this.

We actually have in the past done annual moderator polls and invited any and all feedback, the problem is that it sort of just becomes a popularity thread with one or two disgruntled posters who were infracted - and I sort of felt like not much was gained from the process. I guess we are overdue to do another one though.

But fair point on things becoming contentious here - I actually prefer that moderators mostly stay out of this forum so posters can make their case about their complaint - but we don't make that request formal becomes sometimes you really want to discuss and debate the charges that are being leveled.

For the most part, I think the majority of our posters are adults and will calmly contact mods and voice disagreement with a decision and things are resolved that way. And it might be easiest to handle complaints this way in general - via discreet PM to mods, supermods and to me - although threads often get started here because the PM route wasn't resolved to the complainants satisfaction which also might contribute to the perception that threads here fall on deaf ears as they have already been debated behind the scenes.

I will add that the majority of our posters are adults and never deal with the mods at all. But usually, if a mod makes a mistake, co-mods and supermods often become aware and chime in. In the Yanks Abroad section for example, we co-mods discuss and debate a lot of the decisions and ask each other whether certain decisions were too harsh, or the best way to handle it - many of the forums do this - Mexico, Spanish Clubs, and USA Men to name a few. And, when things become contentious between a poster and a mod, we often will have ask another mod to step in as personal conflict could potentially cloud ones judgement.

As I've said, even though many of the complaints here we may ultimately disagree with the complainant - it doesn't mean we don't discuss the situation and consider if the poster was treated fairly, or ways to do things differently, etc.

17. toslat

toslat New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I do agree that in a well moderated board there should be minimal interaction with the mods, and personally had not had one till recently (which was actually what got me looking at this section). Unfortunately the experience left me a lot less confident in the system, and reading posts from some mods in this section didnt help matters.

As to the poll becoming a popularity contest, the issue might be with the structure or phrases in the survey. Effort should be made so that its aimed at gathering relevant information. e.g. asking how a poster feels an offense should be handled and also how he thinks the relevant mods handle it, or asking how many forms (info, penalties etc) and/or times he has interacted with a mod, as opposed to some simple ranking/rating poll. Its something that would have to be fine tuned over time.

Your efforts are definitely commendable, but would be interesting to see if the stats and data support its effectiveness e.g are frequencies of infractions and/or socks reducing over time.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know DK would like us mods to refrain, but I want to put out non admin POV.

I will say that this is something that does get discussed from time to time. As a mod here for several years, I can say from my own viewpoint that we usually have to deal with the problems, or get "spat" upon when we attempt to reign in a poster. Most of us would rather everybody behave and then we just nuke the odd spammer, but it doesn't work that way, unfortunately.

IIRC, this was done once, apart from the general "rank your mod." The problem with these surveys is, like customer service, comments/critiques come only when something bad happens. That said, the overall complaints are usually small, but when they happen consitantly, they are dealt with (as stated above). Really, we don't get paid for this, and we do this to help the site become better. Back in the day, there were many here who complained that the 606 boards were horrible due to lack of moderation. Yet the admins have tried to improve the moderating. I agree, though, that it is not perfect, nor even great. But we do try hard, and often are told to piss off even when we try to help.

Me, too. Though I would expect that the socks have increased with the increase in posters. Frequencies of infractions, though, would also be interesting.

Now, with the above said, please keep in mind as DK mulls over your ideas, we have posters from multiple countries speaking multiple languages posting in multiple forums. Sometimes, meaning and intention are lost and cause problems. This, I think, is the biggest problem that BS mods have.

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    how do you officially file a complain about a mod?

It took me like a year from one of my infractions to go away I guess bc the mod was too "busy," or he was just being lazy to do his work.

Now, my latest bs (bullcrap) infraction was supposed to be gone by the 24th, is already the 28th.

Im hoping these guys get paid, and yes they get fired, there are doing a terrible job, my parents were business owners at some point and people who did these type of "quality" job would get fired right away, absoultely terrible customer service.

I wonder how much they get paid, I want to be a mod too, hey, getting paid for being lazy, awesome.

20. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    on a sidenote i was helping a newspaper early this year, but then i found out it was too much for me, being a journalist isnt an easy job, i had to do interviews, shoot video, write, contact people, phone calls...

i emailed the boss and told him it was too much, i was going to step aside, i wasnt getting paid so it was not a big deal.

point is, if you dont have time to do your job (even if is for free) get the f... out here, we dont need you lazy crap here.

do a good job or dont f... waste our time, some of us have been playing this game our whole life and we come here for a reason.

yes it is that frustrating when people ask you to be a "good" guy and to follow the rules but they are doing a terrible job.

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    im no saying im an angel, but the times i went nuts, i was attacked with all type of racial slurs, and every type of insults, people even loading my pm box with all type of insults.

supringly i was almost banned, and those people never got a yellow card, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like i said Cuzcatleco used to be here every day posting who knows how many times in the days, he is doing grad school in australia, very educated pal.

he sent me a message saying "you know what, I cant help it anymore, I am going to stop posting at bigsoccer, too is too much, my stomach cant take it anymore."

and all this was because he was trying to help me to get my account back to normal.

cuzcatleco was a great guy, ask anybody in the salvadoran forum about him. he is gone now.

22. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How many infraction points are necessary to get a yellow card?? And when does it expire??

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You are actually low enough - some times when they expire the yellow doesn't come off - it's a glitch. I fixed yours.

24. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, thanks a lot.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund