Expectations for the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh they've aged out quite a bit. Much like Honduras, The Ticos are always going to be a factor in this region because they're really tough at home, but on a neutral field I would actually consider picking both Jamaica and Canada against Costa Rica

2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    so, here are all the Mexican players at a major league level who have played since March:

Majority starter @ top 50 team:
    Jiminez (29) @ Wolves (ranked 15th): 4/4 games with 4 starts, 355 minutes, 2 goals
    Tecatito (27) @ Porto (ranked 31st): 6/6 games with 6 starts, 509 minutes, 2 goals and 2 assists
    Guardado (33!) @ Betis (ranked 40th): 6 / 7 with 5 starts, 409 min
    Araujo (28) @ Celta de Vigo (ranked 45th): 7/8 games with 5 starts, 537 minutes

Scrubs with less than 200 minutes on a top 50 team:
    Herrera (30) @Atlético Madrid (ranked 10th): 5 out of 8 games with 2 starts, 181 minutes, 1 assist
    chucky (24) @ Napoli (ranked 26th): 4/4 games with 0 starts, 84 minutes, 1 goal
    Lainez (20) @ Betis (ranked 40th): 4/7 games with 0 starts, 121 minutes, no goals or assists

I'm sure it's not a big deal to have the majority of your team not playing any competitive soccer for at least four months. No wonder that MexNat fans are so busy following USMNT players.

Majority starter @ top 50 team:
    Adams (21) @ RBL (ranked 8th): 9/9 games with 5 starts, 554 minutes
    Pulisic (21) @ Chelsea (ranked 9th): 6/6 games with 5 starts, 467 minutes, 2 goals
    Brooks (27) @ Wolfburg (ranked 30th): 9/9 games with 9 starts, 786 minutes
    [missing Dest]

Majority Starter for teams between 51-125
    Sargent (20) @ Bremen (ranked 79th): 12/12 games with 7 starts, 664 minutes, 1 goal, 3 assists
    Weston (21) @ Schalke (ranked 121st): 8/9 games with 8 stats, 669 minutes, 2 goals

Rotational Player with over 300 minutes on top 50 team
    Reyna (17) @ BVB (ranked 13th): 7/8 games with 2 starts, 304 minutes
    Chandler (29) @ Eintracht (ranked 38th): 8/11 games with 4 starts, 370 minutes

Rotational Player with over 300 minutes on team between 51-125
    Morales (30) @ Fortuna (ranked 119th): 8/9 games with 3 starts, 321 minutes

Players with less than 200 minutes on teams between 51-125
    Yedlin (26) @ Newcastle (ranked 83rd): 3/5 games with 0 starts, 34 minutes
    Vassilev (19) @ Aston Villa (ranked 94th): 1/5 games with 0 starts, 5 minutes

Minor league starters
    ARobinson
    Holmes
    Palmer Brown
    Miazga
    Carter Vickers

Mexico's top players are all in their late 20s and by Qatar only Tecatito will be younger than 30....I'm guessing Chucky and Lainez will be in MLS pretty soon which will only help the USMNT.

3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Hold a single elimination tournament at a central location, like say, Disney's Wide World of Sports?

jagum and Sebsasour repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    8 to 2, 24 to 12 to 6 to 3. 2.5 windows. Then need 7 more windows for an Oct. June 2022 finish

6. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm a bit out of the loop with this. Is there any talk or estimate as to when the next meaningful matches will be played? Obviously it's Covid dependent, just interested in whats being discussed.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do know Twellman said the next match the NT plays very well could be WCQing.

8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #608 nobody, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    I think it will be very hard to get any friendlies scheduled and even qualifiers are going to be difficult, especially for games in the US. Until this country gets COVID under control, I think it will be a lot to ask for teams to allow players to travel to the US to play and then come back and risk infecting others. Would players have to quarantine upon returning from the US as many travelers currently have to do? Would teams allow them to come? Could neutral sites end up needed? I know the thing these days in the US us to pretend we're past it, but COVID is stronger than ever here and this is going to take some time. We're in a worse place today than we were months ago with no plan in place. There is no reason to think the US will be safe to have athletes travelling here from all over the world anytime soon without great risk.

majspike, TCS35, Konut and 1 other person repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    i think we have a real question of whether our core players (all based in Europe) will return to play in any USMNT matches in North America.

their clubs could rationally put up a real fight if they were required to miss games upon returning due to Mandatory quarantine.

dams and nobody repped this.
  10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd also worry about teams being willing to come play here. Teams would have a pretty solid reason to ask for games in the US to be rescheduled elsewhere unless/until things change.

DHC1 repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm okay with that as long as we get to bring our snow machine.

Bite o' the Cherry and Winoman repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    For fun: what would an all-Concacaf lineup look like?

I’d start with the three best players: Davies, Jiminez and Pulisic.

In central defense, looks like the core would be Araujo and Brooks.

In central midfield, the group includes Guardado, Adams and McKennie

outside backs/wingers would be Tecatito or Dest on the right

attackers are more unproven and would be led by David

goalie: navas over Ochoa.

thoughts?

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe we should play our games in Germany in the closest stadium to the big military bases.

nobody repped this.
  14. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    We should play our home games in Canada

slider4CU repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if any of you have been keeping up with Mexico but it’s terrible at the Mexico-Texas border right now. Many people in Mexico can’t afford tests and aren’t very educated on distancing among family members. To complicate things it has rained a lot and west Nile is big there right now too. Not sure if the rest of Mexico is troubled but lots of countries will have problems getting games in if this keeps up.

nobody repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where the best place to post this is (but decided that we don't need a new thread). Just saw on the ESPN ticker that Mexico has announced a friendly vs Netherlands on October 7 in Amsterdam.
    https://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2020...-mexico-vs-netherlands-amsterdam-october-2020

There's no telling if the game will actually happen, but clearly those two federations think there's a possibility. Mexico isn't really in a much better boat than the US right now, so could we see the US schedule a game yet this year? It obviously wouldn't happen in the US, but could conceivably happen in Europe. Further, if the ban on American travel to Europe holds (I'm gonna guess it will) then this could be the European Camp Covecake a number of people have been wanting.

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    We could probably put together a pretty decent all-European roster for something like this if we had to. The only limitation is that we'd be a little thin on center-forward options after Sargent. Though I suppose Weah could probably still play there.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Mexico doing an all euro squad? If they aren’t we should take our best players they haven’t played in NC a long long time and fate willing maybe most of the starters will be healthy and get to actually play together.

19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well the article mentions that on the one hand "there is still a travel ban by the European Union against people from Mexico because of the COVID-19 emergency" but on the other hand there doesn't appear to be enough Mexican players in Europe to make this work for them without some domestic players. It doesn't sound like anyone's addressed how Mexico can make that work.

We have the same first problem, but not so much the second, which I think is why people are entertaining the idea of an all-Euro roster if we were to attempt something similar.

20. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    The way I look at Timo now is the same way I'm approaching social security here in the US (and I'm only about 10 years out from collecting it). I'm assuming that he won't be available, and if he is, it will be a pleasant surprise.

rlrcpa and tomásbernal repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You can enter Europe with a valid negative COVID test. At least, that is how American youth players like Rotundo have entered.

22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Continues to sound like the Americans, at least, don't want any radical changes to the qualifying rules. Gregg was in the media basically laying out the same logic that Earnie had: the rules were set, there is plenty of time for a Hex, so why change?

If the Hex starts in 2021, there is room, and there would be two windows for friendlies to make up for missing March and June 2020.

Gregg expects an announcement soon.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I figured this was only for students and workers. Are they making this allowance for visitors as well?

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I have no idea. NT players do get paid, so I don't see why they wouldn't be workers.

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well I mean specifically I figured the exception would only apply to people who are or will be working for a company or institution based within the European country.