Expectations for the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the CONCACAF Federation is undeniably skewed towards the Caribbean nations when it comes to political pull. And I don't think that the function of CONCACAF is to cater to the USA, I simply don't think that the 41 member states who publicly shake hands are beyond arguments behind closed doors.

Again, your response is aimed at a strawman.

2. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Lol at the US fans whining about the change of format.

It's like they are scared of missing out on the world cup again.

Why would anybody complain ?

That atrocious top 6 ranked go straight to the hex is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in terms of WCQ.

It deserved to be scrapped.

I think that concacaf has never been so competitive and it's good to involve more teams.

FIFA rankings are garbage, good thing they will not be used in the way they planned to.

Robert Borden repped this.
  3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    USA if they are as good as they say they are as they think and believe they are, then really there should be no excuses or no complaints about changes to the WCQ format. Period.

Now that being said, there is going to be more pressure put upon USA to qualify given they missed out on Russia 2018 and they do not want to miss out on Qatar 2022 either.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Funny, the Top 6 is atrocious, but the Top 8 on ranking is perfectly fine? Canadian fans are just so flexible with their atrocity.

I think the USA finishes first in whatever format happens this cycle.

I've been consistently here arguing against corruption. Something that has always been rampant in FIFA and Concacaf. Of course, it was the US DOJ that actually took action against the corruption while Canada, Mexico, all of Europe, Asia, SA, Africa looked the other way.

If the President of Concacaf was from Nicaragua and was trying to fix the format where Canada got in, but no help for Nicaragua, then I wouldn't have as big a problem with it.

5. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Then really where is the complaints? There shouldn't be especially from Americans because at the same time if you guys have the strongest team in the region or the 2nd strongest team in CONCACAF then really what are you complaining about? USA is basically given a golden goose right here on a silver platter to qualify

vancity eagle repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't see what the relative success rate has to do with being against corruption in your FIFA region. How did ignoring corruption work out for soccer or the USA? Did we get the 2022 World Cup? Why should we care, we got 2026 you say. But now we are playing in a small corrupt desert and played in a totalitarian state in 2018, instead of the USA and England.

Who would have received the 2026 bid if the USA was hosting? Corruption snow balls.

7. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Okay I guess I can understand to a degree about corruption but seriously 2022 there should really be no excuses not to qualify especially when this USA team is as good as Americans are hyping them up to be

8. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Top 8 is bad but it's still better than top 6 so why do you keep whining ?

It's up to concacaf to decide the method they feel is best to get their top representatives through to the WC, and they have a right to change it any time they want.

I dont think you care about corruption, I think you are just pissed that the US will not have as easy a ride with the new proposed format.

It's pretty sad that even in concacaf, literally the easiest region to qualify from, you still are looking to gain unfair advantage.

Both Canada and Haiti, even Panama are better teams than El Salvador. They should all have a fair shot.

jagum and Robert Borden repped this.
  9. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Took the words right out of my mouth good sir

Robert Borden repped this.
  10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He obviously mean "the way the top 6 are being determined". After all the comments about the US not getting worthy opponents, you'd think you'd be happy that there would be a better mechanism to ensure that the best team makes it to the final round...you know...for the sake of consistency...not wasting the USMNT time.

Not sure what you're talking about here, don't tell me you still holding a grudge about the 1812 burning of Washington & White house business like Trump still does. We definitely were very naughty!

:laugh::ROFLMAO:
    yeah...no! Mexico is still a much stronger team. Gotta win on the road, which is what sunk the USMNT in the 2018 WCQ.

Oh please spare us the "eat your vitamins and do the good thing" American rhetoric. The US certainly aren't above employing such tactics, it's just in this case, it was done to you! Until then, the US justice system never cared about FIFA corruption.
    #American Exceptionalism

2002 bribery scandal
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/salt-lake-city-2030-winter-olympics-1.4951389
    The scandal broke in 1998, three years after Salt Lake City was chosen over cities in Canada, Sweden and Switzerland. Salt Lake's bid committee doled out $1 million in cash, scholarships, medical care, gifts and other favours to IOC members and their families. That included ski trips, NBA tickets, plastic surgery, knee replacements, violins and housing and salary for children of IOC members, according to report by an ethics panel.

Whatever helps you sleep at night

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's complaining because he's one of those "nervous fans" I was talking about earlier. The USSF and most fans aren't complaining because they know that WHATEVER the format looks like, the USMNT "should" qualify for 2022.

But this one is nervous because he'd rather have to deal with El Salvador who tried everything to not lose points than potentially facing teams that may prove harder to beat and lower their chances.
    • Reminder that El Salvador couldn't even make League A of Nation League after losing to Bermuda while they got lots of points thrashing weaker CONCACAF teams in League B (Montserrat, St.Lucia & Dominican Republic).
    He's just nervous.

jagum, vancity eagle and Ofori repped this.
  12. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020

FACTS

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Yeah that's why I'm really not a fan of these FIFA rankings.

They value simply winning over the actual strength of opponent.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I couldn't care less about hex vs oct. Obviously this is a bigger issue for the Canadians.

majspike and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Besides corruption this is the other problem.

Name one competition where the rules are set, the competition is started, and then the rules are completely changed?

Go, I will be back to see the answers.

WCQ'ing in Concacaf was set. Now, someone is trying to change it. That is not normal or regular or sporting.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem with using FIFA ranking is
    1. Teams haven't played the same amount of games (in this region, not even close)
    2. Some teams had to play non-FIFA members where their wins got them no points at all.
    That's why using FIFA rankings to get in the Final round directly is fundamentally flawed (hex or oct)

The Nations League is a way to address this unbalance by having teams roughly play the same amount of games or significantly cut the disparity.

Until then, WCQ should be on sporting merits and having everyone get a shot at the final round is the fairest way to get there.

At the end of the day, you want the strongest teams representing the region at the World Cup, not a team stumbling there by finish 4th and beating New Zealand to then get obliterated at the world cup while acting like they won the whole thing because they scored one goal

17. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Exactly what I was going to say

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Now you're just being stubborn, you can't get more clear than this

• The challenges presented by postponements to the football calendar, and the incomplete FIFA rankings cycle in our confederation, means our current World Cup Qualifying process has been compromised and will be changed. We will now work with the new framework provided and liaise with FIFA to finalize a new World Cup Qualification format for the Concacaf region.
    An incomplete WCQ process is FAR WORSE than making amendments due to extraordinary circumstances.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some clarity about FIFA window

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #570 Clint Eastwood, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Shrug. Its a problem for all these international competitions.
    There is zero word on what we're going to do with Olympic qualifying.
    The CONCACAF U23 championships this past spring were cancelled with no word on when they'll be held.

The international calendar next spring/summer is already going to be nuts. 2021 CONCACAF U20 Championships, U20 World Cup, CONCACAF U23 Championships, Olympics (hopefully), 2021 Gold Cup, League of Nations semifinal/final at some point..........................and they're going to have to try to fit in 2022 WCQing.

A player like Gio Reyna is eligible for every one of those tournaments :)

The federations that are going to do the best once we open back up are going to be those with the deepest talent pools. The powers have the advantage. It's going to be fascinating to see the strategies that nations take in order to make sure that everyone is fresh for the WCQers. Can't overwork players.

FIFA has already talked about fitting in more international windows over the next years, but the European Club Association has already told them to go screw themselves. There's a lot of dealing in smoky back rooms that's going to have to take place.

So yes, CONCACAF WCQers are going to take a different format than originally planned. They have to as we live in reality, not in a perfect world.

How about something really easy? The 2021 Gold Cup decides our 2022 WC entrants. You want excitement at the Gold Cup? Well, there you go. Problem solved. No, its not perfect. It gives Mexico and the US an advantage................but fair is out the window.

21. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    When did the competition start ?

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who cares whom we play? It’s really just us vs Mexico for the title. The rest of the games are just filler, except once every 5 cycles each of us has a bad one and risks not qualifying.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montagliani was asked if he could do that but he said that CONCACAF wasn't allow to do this as Gold Cup and WCQ are 2 separate entities products. Otherwise, it would make sense to me now that there are no longer automatic berths

24. jazzhands

jazzhands Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Portland, OR
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada