Expantion teams colors/kits

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Bravehart3, Oct 10, 2003.

1. gothamite

gothamite New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    New York City, natch
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, but ever since 9/11, "United" has special meaning for New Yorkers.

I don't see anything wrong with New York United in the same league as DC United.

Interesting side note, not all English "United" teams are the result of a merger between two clubs. West Ham United, for example....

2. Oakland Co United

Oakland Co United New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    We've got some "United" high school teams in The 248 and it works because it's three HSs uniting to form one team. This is where Manchester United comes from; if the Rochester and Syracuse a-league teams merged and went to MLS, New York United would have a place.

Commenting on other notes, the Detroit Express unis are reason one why orange might not be a good idea.

When I buy my a-league team, Detroit City, the home kit will be all black with "City" across the front.

3. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm aware of that, and I never said all. It may not have been from two distinct clubs, but West Ham is in fact a "united" club. Their committee changed the name to West Ham United from Thames Iron Works FC when they decided to introduce professional players into their squad, thus "uniting" their employees with professional footballers.

4. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

MetroAndAGuinessPlz New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Manhattan United? Firstly, I've never met a native New Yorker that uses the term Manhattan. Secondly what exactly are we uniting? I do kind of like the idea of putting a stadium at Castle Clinton but I just don't think most people even know what Castle Clinton IS (I myself had to look it up) let alone its historical significance.

5. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

6. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a total guess, but isn't Castle Clinton the new name for Hell's Kitchen?

I would like to award a point to Horror Show for out-googling his fellow newbie. ;) Plus, I'm with him on the whole United thing. I mean, c'mon. It's like adding and FC or SC to every team name will somehow give it credibility.

And Crimson is NOT almost identical to Maroon. You must never have been a graphic designer.

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, I AM a graphic designer.

No, I'm not. They just look similiar. But after consulting three 40-60 year old women, they assure me that crimson is more of a red with a hint of orange and that maroon is a dark red with a hint of plum (their exact words) As a male, maroon and crimson are close enough to be about the same. I don't delve into the salmons, sienas, and periwinkles in my Crayola 64s.

Yes, Mike, both schools DO have teams, as well you know. At least according to the websites of both OU and OSU. As for matters with those schools women's teams that go any deeper than the surface, ya got me. As for the rest of what you said re: more deserving semi-pro players and NAIA schools, scandals, etc. OK. But spell this out for me. What does that prove about Cowboys caring less for soccer than Sooners. That's all I was asking inthe first place and was the original basis for me nay-saying maroon/crimson as a potential color for a Oklahoma franchise just as Orange probably wouldn't go over with the Sooner crowd. Unless you did some bizarre crimson-orange combo.

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

This is my dream uni for MLS Detroit. The player wouldn't be bad, either....

9. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Sorry, but I just don't see Detroit being associated with orange at all. I know the Express played in orange in the NASL, but that was only for 3 seasons 1978-1980, and they weren't that good. Detroit is more of a blue/copper/grey city more than anything because of its climate, blue-collar town, and its history. Leave orange to cities that already incorporate orange in the everyday life. ie: Miami (orange skies and sun rays, Canes, Dolphins), San Fran (orange golden gate, SF Giants, Warriors), Syracuse (Orangemen), Manhattan(blue/orange - like the Knicks, Mets, "New Amsterdam", bright lights)

10. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    Yea Hell's Kitchen was renamed Clinton by real estate developers trying to escape the memory of the Irish Mob. Best I can gather is that Castle Clinton is an old fort within the confines of Battery Park.

11. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    On the Contrary* How great would it be if every sports city had their own colors or color represented in all of its major sports teams. Orange/Aqua would represent Miami, not just the Dolphins, Marlins, or an MLS team. Of course you would have the specific name or jersey pertaining to the particular team thats doing well. It gets real confusing and contradicting when Boston people all wear green and white when the Celtics win a championship, and then all New York people wear green and white because of the NY Jets. Or the Pittsburgh Steelers look like the Columbus Crew despite these 2 cities being close rivals. Its also kind of like Texas pro teams that all incorporate a star to their logos because of the lone star on the Texas flag. You have the Astros, Cowboys, Mavericks, Dallas Stars. They all have a star logo on their uniform, but you should not assume "well the Astros are piggybacking off the Cowboys". These are only some examples. Obviously, there are only so much colors in the world, nonetheless nice ones, but it would be great if a city at least incorporated one color or pattern to be included in the major pro sports teams. Anyone would be able to easily indentify a color with a sports city instead of breaking down all its teams. Can you imagine if all our national teams had different colors for differnt sports? Like if USA Basketball, US Soccer, USA Hockey, USA Track & Field all had different color schemes instead of the same red, white, and blue? It would be real confusing. ;)

12. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    It would be great to have a team with any of these names in the MLS. The uniform for a Yankees soccer club should be:

1st uniform - White jersey with navy blue pinstripes, navy blue shorts, and white socks.

2nd uniform - Navy blue jersey, white shorts, and navy blue socks

3rd unifrom - Gray jersey, gray shorts, and gray socks

An interlocking NY could be used as the logo. The jersey should be made by adidas since the Yankees already have a contract with adidas.

MLS should evatually have a team that wears white shorts with color tops.

13. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    DUDE, I DO NOT WANT YET ANOTHER PLAIN BLUE OR RED OR BLACK TEAM!!! DUDE, IF EVERY TEAM WILL HAVE THE SAME COLOR MIGHT AS WELL DO THIS: HOME TEAM IN RED; VISITOR IN BLUE, LIKE BOXING... UGH...

Look at the pallette: sky, maroon, orange, kelly green, dark green, lime green, teal, aqua, purple, violet, claret (Aston Villa), brown, amber...

Heck, let's throw in Palermo pink!... wait...

I like teams that you look at them and you KNOW it's THAT team. Valladolid, in Spain, is a team you cannot miss beacuse they are the only ones with white and purple stripes. Celta in their sky blue and Betis in white/green are also identifyable. In Scotland, you cannot miss when Dundee United orange and black are on the "tube". Next year, you WILL know when Norwich (yellow and green) is playing. In the MLS, the Galaxy are the most recognizable team... because they don't wear red or blue like the rest.

Maroon/Burgundy/Crimson/Claret would do... even light or baby blue would change the pace. Orange would rock! Especially with the lack of orange pro sports merchandise. The Flyers changed to black, no NFL team really has orange as 1st color now... that leaves the Bobcats. Similar argument with the sky blue (Nuggets).

14. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    like Boxing... I meant OLYMPIC BOXING... never saw a yellow-clad boxer in the Olympics.

15. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    Like gothamite hinted at, the term 'United' is meant as a play on words since the whole purpose of placing a team in Lower Manhattan is to revitilize the area, and the reason the area needs revitilization is because of the terrorist attacks of 9/11, which 'united' New Yorkers. It's a bit of a stretch, but it can work.

Granted I'm not a native New Yorker (though who really is?), but I've been living in New Jersey for 12 years now, and working in NYC for 5, and I can tell you that folks from all 5 boroughs first tell you which borough they are from before saying they are New Yorkers. Don't let 'Sex in the City' fool you into believing all New Yorkers are one and the same.

I think Manhattan United flows a lot nicer than New York United, and as a nickname, you could go with 'Hatters'.

Glad to see you took the time to look up Castle Clinton and its history. I figured not many people would know what I was talking about, but it was a sort of hidden extra-credit assignment for those that didn't.

16. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    I guess some people are confusing the neighborhood of Clinton (which is much farther north than Battery Park City) with Castle Clinton.

Yes, Castle Clinton was a fort on the tip of the island, built to guard the Harbor from British forces during the War of 1812 (that's how come the area is known as Battery Park City). It was also used to process new immigrants into the US some time ago, and it's current use is as a ticket booth for ferry rides to Ellis Island.

17. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    I don't want this to turn into a "i'm more NY than you" thing, but I've lived in Queens since birth and Manhattan is referred to as "The City" by everyone in the boroughs and LI and i'd assume its the same for Jersey. And while I really do appreciate the sentiments about revitalizing downtown I still think calling the team "United" is a major stretch.

18. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    Yes, we do call NYC 'the City' for short in Jersey, but even in your own post, you mentioned that you live in Queens, not New York, which proves my point that New Yorkers emphasize their borrough. Also, what New York sports team have you heard of called 'The City'?

The group helping to rebuild the area is called the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, not New York Development Corporation. And take a look at some of the teams that play or have played in the other borroughs; Brooklyn Dodgers, Brooklyn Cyclones, Queens Kings, etc. Sure the Mets play in Queens and the Yanks in the Bronx, but both teams did play in Manhattan at some point of their life, so it wouldn't be very fitting to be named after the borrough of their current residence. What's wrong with naming a team after the borough of Manhattan? I could understand if you just don't like it personally, and you can say that, but don't knock my idea as if it was so far-fetched by implying that it isn't feasible.

By the way, I never claimed to be "more NY than you". So if you feel that's what this has become, then you have some issues of your own to deal with. I'm not starting a flame here, just calling it like it is.

19. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The City" wouldn't do you any good. The entire Bay Area refers to San Francisco as "The City" as well.

Sorry.

20. MetroAndAGuinessPlz

Apr 1, 2003
    NY
    I never said to call it "The City" I am saying that no one uses the term Manhattan on a day to day basis so why call the team "Manhattan United"? Have you considered the fact that a huge portion of people in the boroughs feel a massive disconnect toward the giant amusement park that Manhattan has become? Theres an enormous difference between the boroughs and Manhattan and because of that theres an enormous difference between naming a team "Manhattan" and naming a team "Brooklyn". How many people south of 100th street were even born in New York and display the kind of tribalism that people in the boroughs do? Some but nowhere near as many. Also if you'd read it properly you'd see that I never claimed you were saying you were more of a New Yorker than I am, I implied that I didn't want you to think thats what I was saying. And yes I think it's a bad idea, but I also think it's unfeasable for various reasons, not the least of which are the immense costs such a project would generate due to it's expensive location - we're not talking about the Jets here, we're talking about MLS.