Expantion teams colors/kits

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Bravehart3, Oct 10, 2003.

1. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's nothing wrong with having city-wide colors, especially if it helps you fit in.

The main thing we need is to break up the monotony of solid-color home kits and all-white away kits.

2. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just gross!

My U-19 team wore worse though. We had green shirts with purple and white trim, purple shorts with white trim and white shorts with purple socks. All of the teams in the Bristol (RI) Youth Soccer Association wore the same style. Man was that bad.

3. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmopolitans? I know the Comos are classic and all but by dragging the name all the way out to Cosmopolitans it sounds like you want to be associated with pansie pink martinis.

4. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmopolitans? I know the Comos are classic and all but by dragging the name all the way out to Cosmopolitans it sounds like you want to be associated with pansie pink martinis.

5. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    The New York Metropoliton Baseball Club took their colors from the late NY Giants (Orange) and Brooklyn Dogers (Blue.) But the City's colors have always been Orange and Blue, just look at the city flag. Remember, it was a Dutch settlment.

The best name for a team is the New York Football/Soccer Club, with the Knickerbockers as the official-unofficial nickname.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/history/why_knickerbockers.html

Alas, the NBA got their first. I belive that if soccer had developed in the USA the same as baseball did we would see more "classic" name like they have in other parts of the world. Most cities have one perfect name that fits the city's history, people, and culture. Most of them have been taken by one of the big 4. So we are stuck with Clash, Crew, and Burn.

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ny yankees soccer? doesnt get more original than that. my guess is that you would love to see them in colors of newcastle.......

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE TOON BLACK & WHITE STRIPES OF NEW YORK YANKEES UNITED FC !!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD THIS IS HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess i'll c u at the next metro game in a NY Yankee FC jersey.......

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I gotta find one quickly!!!!! lol

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the wrong combo. No gray shirts, orange with grey down the side like most have black now. Gray shorts and probably gray socks with a couple (three if Adidas) orange stripes. The road uni would be a light gray jersey with orange accents, white shorts and orange socks.

11. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I say PURPLE. My nickname gives it away I guess...

But go all purple or purple and gold a la Lakers...

12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this would work for the same reason the Charlotte Hornets didn't pick blue or red. Collegiate enmity runs deep in OK and this color is not liked by certain Cowboys. Just saying.

Orange is pretty natural for Cleveland although I would prefer maroon here so that the team would have a unique color. Ifwe are called Forest City (if we even get a team), then green it is. Seattle might do well to steal the Fusion's colors.

13. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they could, you know, USE THEIR OWN FRIGGIN COLORS!

14. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    If Miami gets an an expansion team someday:

Colors that represent palm trees, blue waters, and sunny days. (And hot chicks, but we'll neglect that for right now)

Orange-Light blue (our skies), Aqua/Greenish color (our trees and groves), White (color that everybody wears and boating). Maybe Yellow (like the sun). Any of these are Fine.

German Bundesliga champions Werder Bremen look like the Miami Dolphins playing soccer. We could use something similar perhaps, except without the tightness of the shirts and the corny ad on the chest. It may look odd at first glance, but its unique and not bad.

[​IMG]

15. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Not that I'm in favor of bringing back the Cosmos or anything but you should know New York Cosmos was short for "Cosmopolitans" just like Mets for "Metropolitans", Knicks for "Knickerbockers", and Metros for "Metrostars".

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brooklyn (later Los Angeles) Dodgers name was shortened from the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers.

-G

17. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Sounds just like the Miami Dolphins. And the Florida Marlins to a lesser extent. Wouldn't a team in Miami rather try to make a run at it using their own colors to make their tradition instead of trying to piggyback off of the Dolphins?

18. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Re: Explantion teams colors/kits

When "Cosmos" was first announced as the nickname in 1971 (I was hoping for a resurrection of Skyliners or Generals), it put me in mind of Cosmonauts or Commies... but that was my Cold War mentality at work. A lot of the original players were taken from the Cosmopolitan League which operated in the NY area at the time. The nickname grew on me, though never a die-hard fan. Pele, Franz & Co. put it over big-time, and they (whoever could have) never should've let it die. To the world, it was the country's signature soccer franchise, like it or not.

It'd been great if the Cosmos would have had the foresight to establish a club atmosphere with youth development, and built their own soccer stadium. They were always in a world apart from the rest of the NASL anyhow once the big names arrived. Autonomy, planning, and investment by the legends other than Chinaglia might've carried them past the NASL into the present. I'm rambling... signing off.

19. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some expansion team should rock colors similar to Aston Villa/West Ham. And get a baby blue 3rd jersey -- look what it did for the Nuggets (that and Melo of course) :)

20. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] Maroon [​IMG] Crimson

Mike, argument one is more one of semantics. The two colors are almost identical.

Both schools have teams so I can't really go for your second argument. But since its a silly argument and I've taken it far too logically, I'm done.

21. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    I actually prefer Manhattan United. Ideally, a SSS would be built near Castle Clinton (which would add to the revitilization of Lower Manhattan) and be called 'The Battery'. Historic sounding name, given the significance of Castle Clinton. A cannon could be incorporated into the club logo, but I'm afraid it might resemble Arsenal's too much.

22. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the significance of Forest City for Cleveland? By the way, I like the name. I love it that the expansion cities' supporters are thinking more along tradional naming conventions. I detest the silly names we are currently stuck with in MLS. If I could make a suggestion, though. How about Forest City SC? I know the purist in me wants to call the game football or footie for short, but sadly, it's known as soccer in this country. It's probably better to stick with 'Soccer Club' so as not to cause confusion. You could even try Forest City PSC (Professional Soccer Club).

23. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the best I could find...

http://creepycleveland.neopages.net/usenetpost.html

There was a baseball team just after the civil war called Forest City. They had a few incarnations before supposedly moving to St. Louis. There are a ton of places, clubs, etc. called Forest City.

24. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't get why people want to incorporate "united" into their expansion team name. It's not like they're uniting anything which is the reason why certain English teams have "united" in their name. I've heard the argument about having the name sound traditional but that's what's wrong with it. It only sounds traditional when in fact it isn't. I say if you (and I'm not specifically talking about DiamondsYank...(sorry guy, I just used your comment for reference, please don't be offended.)) want to run with naming teams in the traditional sense, name them by their district of origin ie: Everton, Fulham, etc. Besides, there's already one "United" in the league and that nickname belongs to D.C. (Yeah I know, there are plenty of "Rovers" and "Wanderers" across the pond but they also have thousands of teams, and rarely do they ever go by their nicknames anyway).