Expansion teams: where and when?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by modenafc1912, Sep 27, 2003.

1. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    I read with great intrest since some weeks all your posts about future mls expansion cities, sss and new owners.
    Most of the latest rumours talk about San Diego in first place for entering the game with the Chivas/Sockers/Goats brand in the next season ... But, beside from rumors, I was wondering about this: did mls itself fix a schedule for future expansion? (that means: 1 team in 2004, 1 in 2005, 2 in 2007 ...) Are we sure that in 2004 there will be a new team, or these are just our thoughts? And, in the first case, when will this expansion be announced?
    I'd like to know something more about this, thanks guys!

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I imagine that expansion plans will be announced when:
    a) There is someone or a few someones ready to plunk down the megabucks for the franchise fee

b) Said someone's town has either a venue that will work for soccer for the time being and there is potential for a SSS, or there is, or will be, a SSS in place by the time the team begins to play.

So far, Vergara seems to be the only fish in the water that's biting the hook.

3. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Vergara's team will probably start in 2004, possibly 2005. There should be one more team in 2005 as well. Beyond that, they have no firm timetable that I know of. I'd guess their goal is probably in the neighborhood of 16 teams by 2010, but they fear expanding beyond a) their means and b) their talent pool.

I'd expect a formal announcement on the "when" for Vergara's franchise by or at MLS Cup.

4. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer your questions here is the plan.

MLS, as well as people from AEG (the company that owns half of the league) announced the intention of expanding by 2 teams by 2005. The only reason 2004 has come up is because apparently the Chivas/Goats owner is in a rush to get started. the announcement last season about expansion came with a time line for announcing expansion. they set a deadline on themselves for this years championship match. It has been widely published that they will announce the Chivas in San Diego. they should also announce another team. but who knows if they will.

MLS also stated that they would announce 2 more teams at or around 2007. this would bring the league to 14

So in recap, yes the league did set its own deadline. But they have apparently changed it to suit the chivas. We should know for certain at the MLS Cup

5. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Thank you guys.
    So we should wait the mls cup to get probably Chivas announced into the league: they are right to hurry up times (2004 instead of 2005), the league needs to involve new owners as soon as they come up. But, what about a possibile 11 teams league (6 west and 5 east)? what about the schedule?

6. Fireman

Fireman Member

Mar 2, 2000
    Upper Deck
    My hope is that they'll go to a single table each club plays eachother 3 times.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they wanted to go to 12 teams next year which city is able to pop out an MLS team? I think with Rochester's finishing of PTP in July they're in the best position to be a drive thru team.

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    In answer to your questions, the truth is that none of us really know much of anything about what's going on with expansion. With most things, the MLS has a lot of trouble keeping a secret. We knew Kroenke had bought the Rapids weeks before it was announced. But although there's been a ton of rumors and speculation, the expansion situation has been kept pretty much under wraps. The best guess is that all will be revealed at/before/during the Championship game on November 23rd. In the meantime, you're welcome to speculate with the rest of us.

9. Braveheart_NY

Braveheart_NY New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New York
    here are some expansion suggestions :

The league need 2 or more dominant rival teams in the league(something I haven't seen yet). a Man. U vs. Arsenal or Real Madrid vs. Barcelona type of game.

We need 1 or 2 city where we can create a derby (a Liverpool vs. Everton type of atmosphere). 2 teams each in LA and NYC/NJ area come to mind. those cities got the population, the media and the atmosphere to pull of a real good derby.

Before adding a team in a city that already have a team MLS need to expands to region that got no teams.Yes we need SSS and a committed owner first, but MLS need to cover the whole US and even a team in canada. I don't want to see alot of team in one region (for example the northeast region) and no team in another region (for example the northwest region). Spread the league out. What will fans who live in a region with no team do. Let each fan have the opportunity to at least drive to a game if they don't have a team in their city. Places such as Seattle or Portland, Ga. Fl. or The Carolina's, and Minnesota should get an expansion team before places such as NYC or LA. who already have a team (they can get another teams later to create a derby, not now).

A huge country like the US need more than 10 teams for a soccer league. But in all I like what I see so far in MLS and the direction they are taking . We the impatient fans need to be a little more patient. The future looks good for MLS.

Any other suggestions.

10. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    But I also think that, bending MLS rules to let Vergara (and his money) in, could be a tough - hard to predict - move. I hope Chivas, wherever in Houston or San Diego or LA, could bring more intrest and passion (that means, investors) and open the door to a solid huge expansion of the league.

11. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

The metrostars' attendance denys your post....

12. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC

I agree with most of your points: the league needs first to spread across the country, just to give to much people as possible, the opportunity to be near a team, to feel it "near" and choose that for life. Obviously, greater cities are the hot spots for derbies, but this needs more and more time and a huge fan base.
    About the schedule, until you get almost a 14/16 teams league, I think single table would be the best formula ... even if I know most of you disagree with it.

13. Braveheart_NY

Braveheart_NY New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New York
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 teams each in LA and NYC/NJ area come to mind. those cities got the population, the media and the atmosphere to pull of a real good derby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The metrostars' attendance denys your post....

the metrostar's attendance is not the worst, come on now, their attendance is decent. Look at the stadium where they play, a 70,000 capacity stadium is not a good atmosphere for any MLS team at the MOMENT period. No matter what you say I think the NYC/NY area can pull off a real good derby. I live in NYC, I know that for a fact. Ask anyone and they will tell you LA and NYC/NJ are the best place to have two teams. What other city you think can maintain two teams in the long run (add Chicago to the list and that's about it). Why did you just comment on one point, give me your overall view.
    how can the metrostar's attendance deny my whole post, did you read the whole thing or just skim through my post to find flaws so you can say something negative. I respect your opinion, but be more positive next time. I'm out

14. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 teams will begin play in 2005.