Expansion Names

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, Nov 23, 2003.

1. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout Oklahoma City Slickers?

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    But otherwise, Oklahoma! is perfect, right? Genius, I know.

3. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Re: Re: Expansion Names

Try not to take this the wrong way, but if that name is chosen, I will kill you.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's certainly distinctive. I can see it now if they make the MLS Cup...

The Fire vs. !

5. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Oh man, that's just like Prince.

6. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleveland bulldogs

san diego chivas

rochester rhinos (keep "raging" off the logo, but keep it in the nickname)

oklahoma roughnecks

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I have to admit, those names sound perfect.

8. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Hey everyone, this is alittle off the subject but I have a question. The name Arsenal was brought up, a name that sounds cool but I think would only fit in to a team that would come from an area where the American Revolution holds ground. A place where an actual arsenal of cannons would have been fired in a time of war. Personally I think New England should change their name from the Revolution and go to New England Arsenal. But that ain't gonna happen.

My question though, back when ABC's Wide World of Sports dominated Saturday TV, NBC came up with a similar sports program also on Saturday afternoons. NBC would show a wild competition where young military men would take pieces of a dismantled cannon and carry them through an obstacle course and then put the cannon together and fire said cannon. First team to fire their cannon would win. If I remember right I think they even used horses to move parts of the cannon. This was all back in the 70's so my memory eludes me.

Anyone remember where that competition took place? It may have been here in the US or it may have even come from the UK. It was quite dangerous though with fingers usually getting smashed and mangled.

9. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Cleveland Flats n'at
    OK Okays
    Rochester Raging Rinos (Republican in Name Only)
    Los Robles Chivas de la Grande Familia(sorry Orson)

10. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    "N'at" is Pittsburghese. The hubcap-collecting primates have their own language in those distant hills. Please do not ever confuse Cleveland & Pittsburgh again. Our river may have caught fire, but at least we've discovered fire. The Three Sewers are an accident waiting to happen if Pittsburghers stop picking the bugs out of each others' hair long enough to play with flint.

Sirk

PS- Not that I am the least bit bitter about today's Browns-Steelers game.

11. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    chivas should be cityname chivas
    oklahoma fc = ofc = (oh fck)
    cleveland united
    rochester raging rhinos is classic. thats their name and they better keep it.

12. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleveland cant be bulldogs. theres eleventy billion high schools and colleges with that nickname.

13. Paco Joe

Paco Joe New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    USA
    If Philly gets a team:

The Philadelphia Footballers.

I know, it's called soccer here, I know. But it sounds good and distinctive, plus it could be shortened to the "Ballers", which sounds cool.

14. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Oklahoma Obscene
    San Diego Chivas Putos
    Rochester Repulsives
    Cleveland Cancer or Carnage
    Seattle SOBs
    Houston Henchmen
    Philadelphia Parole

15. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Expansion Names

Oooooooooooklahoma! Where the forwards come sweeping down the pitch!
    The team can't win,
    The coach drinks gin,
    And the 'keeper's a real son of a... gun!

Speaking as an Arsenal fan and a proud supporter of the Revs, my local team, I'd absolutely hate this. For better or for worse, the boys in Foxboro are the super Revs... and really, there's only one Arsenal. I don't think MLS needs to copy European team names.

16. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    Philadelphia Benjamins - as in it's all about the Benjamins or it's all about Benjamin Franklin

Rochester Rhinos - whether they're ragin or making corningware who cares.

Chivas North - That way no one gets confused and forever will be referred to by everyone else as the goats.

Cleveland Albion - Hey if it works for those teams in england , why not here. Talk about stupid nicknames. Magpies, Toffees, what the hell is this a bakery.

Oklahoma Ranchers - I think there are some cows out there, so what the hell why not. Doesn't Bush Boy live on a ranch also and he's from Texas, that's kind of close.

17. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the bulldog is the unofficial symbol of cleveland sports and i know of no major professional sports team named that. it's originial in that sense, and also makes perfect sense as opposed to the many tongue in cheek (god, i hope they are) proposals that have littered this thread. i don't care how many local high schools call themselves that. i want that team to have a classy, identifiable, and relevant name.

... plus you cannot go wrong with a bulldog for a mascot...

[​IMG]

go dawgs! ;)

18. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Neither am I.
    Oh, by the way, I have heard the fine citizens of Cleveland use n'at. It is not just for Pittsburgh anymore.

19. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Cleveland Stokers
    Oklahoma Roughnecks (Tulsa)
    San Diego Chivas
    San Diego Jaws
    San Diego Sockers
    San Diego Toros
    Rochester Lancers
    Rochester Raging Rhinos

Those are the only acceptable names deemed by me. None of these stupid "non plural" names. Remember when the league first started they were calling DC United "The United" because all the stupid announcers thought that was the team's mascot. It's just wrong.

20. Rock

Rock New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Santa Clara, CA
    I can't believe we're talking about these cities even getting teams...talk about throwing money down a hole...I'm already counting the number of games that will be postponed and/or delayed by tornadoes, thunderstorms, and hail during summers in OKC...and Cleveland?! Puh-leeze, since when is Cleveland a soccer town?! And San Diego didn't even deserve the Sockers all those years ago...after years of winning, they still couldn't fill up even half of Jack Murphy Stadium...

21. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    ENOUGH WITH THE ARSENAL

why is it that everybody seems to hate the idea of having a chivas usa but they want an Arsenal USA so bad. At least the Chivas owner is paying money to get his name in the league.

We are not someone else's minor league, let's not name our teams after someone else. I mean, damn, would you consider naming a team the Packers, or the Lakers or the Yankees? Hell no, because they are a well known team in our backyard. Just because they're not in our backyard, doesn't give us the excuse.

Secondly, the Rage? the Force? Come on, we finally got rid of most of the crappy names when the Clash and Wiz were changed and the Mutiny and Fusion were contracted. And I've heard rumors that the Burn will get a makeover this off-season too. Do we need to bring in a new crop of names we need to change later. Give me some names I could root for (or against actually) please!

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Make that Chivas Norte and you may be on to something.

23. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    "upstaters"... that is the funniest thing I have read in here in a while, that's good.

Obviously, there are alot of people who have trouble with the 'raging' part of 'raging rhinos', I say it doesn't matter because
    1) 'raging' may be part of the official title, but it is rarely used.
    2) Garber will never actually let Rochester in MLS anyway, so it's moot. Rochester is only used as a pawn for negotiating with other investors.

"Oklahoma!" ... I find it very difficult to imagine any sports team with "!" on their jerseys.

"Chivas de San Diego"... "De"? I don't know, but watch it happen. Besides, there is too much use of "Chivas USA" around here, it just may end up being that.

Cleveland is the interesting topic here. This one is really up in the air, IMO. I'm guessing that it will not be plural, that seems to be the trend lately in team names.

24. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    In all seriousness, the only people I have ever heard say n'at in Cleveland are people who come from Western PA or have roots from that area. (Picking up a parent's linguistic habits, etc.) These people are invariably made fun of as possum-munching cousin-f***ers.

Anyway, the only reason I originally posted is because I was pissed at the Browns game and it gave me a chance to vent about Pittsburgh.

But if genuine Clevelanders (not Western PA immigrants seeking a better, modernized existence) are now using "n'at", I have yet to experience this phenomenon. Not saying it's not true, but if it is, the percentage must be so small that I have yet to encounter these people despite a ridiculously large sample size.

Sirk

PS- Did I mention that the only reason I am engaging in this trivial argument is because I am pissed that the Browns gave the game away to the loathsome Steelers?

25. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 vote here for Raging Rhinos. Why change something that's worked? Also, I don't care if the MLS is using them as a pawn, their fans & citizens have earned the right to enter MLS, and they've earned that right as the Raging Rhinos. Screw everyone else.

Outside of Cleveland, Stokers sounds odd. I'd hate to be called the Strokers, too. Bulldogs sounds great.

What about Oklahoma picking up the old Tulsa name - the Roughnecks?

If it is Chivas Norte or Chivas de San Diego or San Diego Chivas, or whatever, they should consider having the Brass Monkey as their mascot - the song was my introduction to "Chivas" - http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~harel/cgi/page/htmlit?Brass_Monkey.html. Best of all would be ditching the Chivas thing altogether and just being - non plural (sorry, dude) - The San Diego Brass Monkey. "This week, the Metrostars head to San Diego to square off with The Monkey."