Expansion Names

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, Nov 23, 2003.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't know if this has been started anywhere else, but I thought it would be great to have one thread where we can all post either preferences for club names OR any strong rumors we are hearing about the four new clubs coming by 2006.

1. Chivas USA--Seems like very few like this name. I feel you should somehow put the city into the name so that the fans can feel like the club is part of the community. Since they seem hell bent on having "Chivas" in the name, I like
    CHIVAS DE SAN DIEGO
    2. Cleveland--Know the Force indoor team ownership is the I/O here, so they might just stick with Force. Hope some people from the city will chime in with what your city is known for, as all I can come up with is the R-n-R Hall of Fame. Cleveland Fame? Cleveland Rock? For now, I'll stick with CLEVELAND FORCE.
    3. Oklahoma City--Ever since Jeff Bradley wrote it, I really like OKLAHOMA ARSENAL
    4. Rochester--Everyone seems to want to get rid of the Raging part. I kinda like ROCHESTER RAGE. Hey, it's better then Rhinos.

I also think MLS needs to make sure the clubs use new colors (lets get some purples and oranges) and I would really like to see the cities flags and landmarks incorporated with the team badge. Even something simple which will help bring more identity of the club with the city.

2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I agree with your post except for this statement. The Raging Rhinos is classic, and the "Rage" sounds like a tacky nickname that belongs in Arena Football. Same goes for the "Force."

3. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "City Name" Chivas (Red and White stripes)
    Cleveland Bulldogs or Cobras (Orange with blue trim)
    Oklahoma City Barons (Green and White)
    Rochester Rhinos (Yellow and Green)

4. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I don't care what they call the OKC team, so long as they don't call them that.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    If I've said it once, I'll say it again. Someone needs to name their team the Legion of Doom. It's a completely original and I think it would help shed the idea that soccer is for wusses.

6. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Or it would make people think this league is ripping off hockey. Or the Superfriends. Something about men in shorts doesn't seem that intimidating. Soccer names should evoke speed and power, not necessarily brute strength. There's a very appropriate name in Rochester's soccer past that would fit that perfectly. The Rochester Lancers, with the royal blue and gold colors. A new facility to go with a major league look, not some childish, minor league cartoon.

My hope is that the Chivas will only be a temporary addition and we'll be rid of them after five or so years.

And this should really go in Expansion and Stadiums.

7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No league is complete without a team named the Dragons.

www.cadragons.com

I love that logo.

8. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Expansion names:

Cleveland Lakemen
    Oklahoma Flames
    Rochester Rhinos
    Chivas de Los Angeles

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Okay, this is tasteless, but I might as well get it out of the way:

The Oklahoma City Bombers.

Okay, sorry. Now that's out of the way, we have:

The Cleveland Steamers - also tasteless, but literally perfect!

10. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Rhinos
    San Diego Chivas / Chivas de San Diego
    Cleveland Stokers
    Oklahoma 66ers (as in Route 66) -- which would work good for either OKC or Tulsa in case they want to play 2-3 games in Tulsa a year, since I think the route goes through both cities

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cleveland Cobras S.C.

12. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    Sounds liike a 76'ers Rip off.

13. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    No way man...don't mess with the Raging Rhinos name.

14. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Cleveland - Cleveland Soccer Club

San Diego - Border FC

Rochester - no need to change the name. Raging Rhinos is a great name.

15. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Expansion Names

all these names sound like they belong in WNBA or NFL.

why do we need tacky nicknames added to all our teams?

Cleveland, Chivas San Diego, Oklahoma City, and Rochester Rhinos. I understand bringing team names that are already teams with them. Such as Chivas and Rhinos. We dont need to give the other teams laughable names.

16. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Re: Re: Re: Expansion Names

Well, we do live in a tacky country! ;)

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Expansion Names

aye. :D

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: Expansion Names

Look, man, we use them because we are Americans. They're not tacky- they're American. We're not obliged to play the game or promote the game the same way everyone else does. We should change anything and everything about it to suit the tastes of our fanbase. It's not like we're taking about a cure for cancer.

Stop thinking like a European. Again, we're Americans. The rest of the world should feel proud that we even stoop to play this game. There's no need for us to adopt the same rules and traditions as the rest of the world.
    We are Americans. And as

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    No, he's right: they're tacky. Even if they are American.

I'm for:

Oklahoma City S.C.
    Cleveland Steamers
    Chivas de San Diego
    Rochester Raging Rhinos

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is up with "Chivas de San Diego"? This is United States for crying out loud, just call them San Diego Chivas.

And Rochester should and will stay as Rhinos, what the heck is the point of changing a team's name if it already has great support.

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it's not.

And you had the urge to comment on mine being a ripoff and not Oklahoma Arsenal?

No sports team in the US has a nickname related to the Route 66, it's unique and it has ties to the locale as well as to American history/culture, it doesn't sound like garbage, and it's not copying Euro/SA names.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    - Rochester Upstaters
    What do today's kids fear most? No, not the boogieman. Or the monster in the closet. That's right, prison inmates. We've all seen "Scared Straight" and "Oz" and we know how tough prison can be. When a New Yorker says "I'm going Upstate", he's not just talking about a geographical location. He's talking about another state of mind, trembling everytime somone else enters the shower or when his bunkmate so much as shifts during sleep. "Upstaters" will put that same fear into visiting clubs.

- Cleveland Mistake
    With its self-deprecating, "Aw shucks" Midwestern mentality, the Mistake will be America's darling, like the Bad News Bears or the Washington Generals.

- Oklahoma!
    No need for a nickname when you can say so much more by just punctuating. It's not only a nod to the classic Rogers & Hammerstein musical, but it suggests excitement, passion and dedication. See, it's not just Oklahoma. It's Oklahoma! You have to shout when you mention this team. Plus, "Break a leg" will double as rallying cry and tactical instruction.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Philadelphia Atoms
    I like that name

24. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    http://www.logoserver.com/California.html

Actually there's the Inland Empire 66'ers of the California League, not to split hairs. I've always identified Route 66 with California myself. I totally agree with your sentiments about nicknames. History, association, those are key. Oklahoma City Barons is an excellent choice. The logo opportunities are limitless. The only problem would be that there's a PDL side called the South Jersey Barons, but I don't see that as a big problem.

Ragin' Rhinos belongs in AA baseball, it's so tacky. We already have enough lame nicknames in MLS, why do we have to have another? Rochester Lancers, royal blue pinstripes on gold shirts, royal blue shorts and socks, old English 'R' circled by the words "Rochester Major League Soccer Club - Est. MMV." Stunning.

I like that 'Atoms' has history and I'm not suggesting that that would be a bad name, I'll just offer my suggestions: the Philadelphia Franklins. It's different, to be sure. But I think it would quickly grow on fans. The script logo could be in that colonial typeface used in Poor Richard's Almanac. The logo or crest could include the Ben Franklin Bridge or possibly Franklin's likeness. Also, people have mentioned that Jeffrey Lurie might be the owner, so I would also suggest the Philadelphia Talons, wearing green and white, with black trim.

The Cup, I would do one thing to the CA Dragons logo; put it on a shield. A shield similar to the Chargers' old logo: http://www.logoserver.com/AFL.html. I think you see what I'm getting at, and I think you like it.

I suggested in another thread that the Burn could take one positive from Dragon Stadium, that being an opportunity to refine their brand. How? By replacing the horse with a dragon. Perhaps, as fans and media became accustomed to the logo, they could make that their nickname.

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I'm nit-picking, but it's Rodgers & Hammerstein.