Expansion Draft

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by scaryice, Aug 25, 2006.

1. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. And in my mock draft, I didn't pick one up, for this reason, the other reasons I listed, and in case they can get Onstad.
    (Also I just edited my comments to elaborate as you were quoting me :) )

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd be hard pressed to name one. All of our young GK's with potential are aready overseas (and most are from Alberta so I don't see the appeal of an MLS in team in Toronto luring them back).

3. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of Brown, I think this is a nice draft.

4. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    How about Theo Zagar? I am sure he would be ready and willing. Is he sufficiently able to be an MLS backup? I don't know as I don't believe I've ever seen him play.

5. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I picked Brown from Chicago but I am having doubts and thinking seriously about Carr (can you imagine what Johnston is going through!).

Carr is $40,000 less and was OK for Chicago this year despite his annoying headband.

The problem with Carr is his age. I believe he would count as a SIUSA. SIUSA slots are valuable and should probably be starters. I don't see Carr starting, hence my pick of Brown.

I note that Regan seems to be a favourite choice. I don't have a problem with Regan but I suspect that Johnston does as he released him once he became the head coach in New York. Same logic applies with Leitch for the Crew.

6. Goalkeeping is such a critical position that I don't see the harm in using one of the 12 available import spots on one. Particularly if Brennan, Reda, Pozniak, Braz, Serioux and Williams are going to be domestic content on the senior roster.

7. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    MLS has its mock draft up.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20061116&content_id=78912&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

I did the math and the MLS mock draft team would cost over $900,000. This may be too costly.

For what it's worth I don't understand the fixation on Buddle. I have seen this guy stink it up for way too long. There are way too many other good players to draft. With Buddle's salary at $110,625, he is simply not worth the risk. If you don't take Buddle, O'Rourke is clearly the cream of the crop in NY. Johnston thinks highly of him as he traded Serioux to get him last year. He is way cheaper and, IMHO, just as good as Nagamura, who is essentially the same type of player.

I like the Mina pick. He was my second choice in Dallas. I chose Gbandi mostly because he is excellent trade bait to get Jazic. If you get Jazic by other means (i.e. for draft picks) Gbandi is still excellent trade bait for another SIUSA player.

8. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I wouldn't recommed Petke if MJ is planning a 3-5-2. Mike can't man-mark very well and needs to be in a 4 man line to avoid getting exposed.

That guy Taylor Graham (if he is the real tall kid) from Metros strikes me as a better pick-up for TFC than O'Rourke, especially given the available DM talent: Serioux, Hernandez, Gutierrez, Simms, Valakari, etc.

The 3-5-2 will require speedy, rangy players. I think that leaves out a lot of the 30 and 30+ year-olds.

I have heard that Donnet owns his own contract, so he may not choose to play in Toronto, if picked. Don't know whether this is true.

There is plenty of talent available. Suggest you pick your starting line-up and then fill-in or supplement with allocations and superdraft picks.

GM

9. canadatoworldcup

Aug 11, 2004
    Niagara Falls, ON
    what about josh waganeer from grimsby, he would be good for torontofc, think we could get him away from a club in holland (i think he is at heereveen if that is how you spell it).

10. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The suggestion that TFC pick up Taylor Graham is clear evidence of potential sabotage. Graham struggled a great deal last year and is not worthy of being picked.

Unfortunately, the only reason Graham was in NY was because of his relationship with MJ in KC. Therefore, don't rule him out!

11. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    Based on the names released from the draft and only one player from each team, here is who I would grab.

Chicago- Nate Jaqua (F) $53,373
    Chivas- John O'Brien (M) $270,000
    Colorado- Jovan Kirovski (F) $150,000
    Columbus- Rusty Pierce (D) $61,300
    Dallas- Greg Vanney (D) $241,667
    DCU- Clyde Simms (M) $43,750
    Houston- Craig Waibel (D) $75,000
    KC- Bo Oshoniyi (GK) $60,625
    LA- Guillermo Gonzelez (M) $117,000
    New England- Jeff Larentowicz (D) $16,500
    New york- Edson Buddle (F) $110,625
    RSL- Nelson Akwari (D) $30,650

Total cost of Draft- $1,230,490 + $400,000 (Beckham rule)= $1,630,490
    Under cap for Rookie Draft- $369,510

Hey, wish we could all be GM's!
    By the way my Beckham pick is to grab is Tomasz Radzinski from FUlham...

12. canadatoworldcup

Aug 11, 2004
    Niagara Falls, ON
    is it only the first 11 that have to be under $2,000,000 cap or does the whole squad (including developmental squad) have to be?

13. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    I think it is first team roster. Not sure though. I think you would have to check the MLS bylaws.

14. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but that is horrible. :)
    Guillermo Gonzalez? for 117,000?
    No thanks.
    Pierce, Kirovski, Oshonyi, Waibel, Vanney, O'Brien?
    Cheaper, better options available for all. That total cost is very high.
    (Though if O'Brien was guarenteed healthy....maybe)

15. OZNE

OZNE New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    Nate Jaqua who is out of contract with MLS to be selected by Toronto FC and then traded to LA for Ante Jazic.

16. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some detail/explainations with my picks....

http://domain1172575.sites.fasthosts.com/article-2006-11-15.html
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20061114&content_id=78752&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp
    My first priority is getitng the domestics, then some attacking options, and some young high-potential talents. M & F are the highest priority considering.

Sure things:
    HOU: Serioux M/D 90,000
    No brainer; free Canadian NTer

SLC: Williams M 110,000
    Counts as a domestic. If they got DeRo, Williams wouldn't likely start for 110,000 or so, but he is a domestic, and getting DeRo will be beyond tough. Additionally, he could still be used depending on the formation or lineup, and a decent player if they are unable to acquire DeRo. Not too much available otherwise.

Either/Or:
    DC: Simms M 42,500 / Donnet M ~200,000
    There are better, cheaper options than Prideaux @ 72,765, Rimando @ 96,800 in DC and across the board, plus not as worried in D. Choice comes down to a relatively inexpensive player who got a little work with the USNT, whether to keep or trade, or a skilled, more expensive streaker down the side. This pick could depend on whether or not they pick up O'Brien from Dallas.

NY: Buddle F 107,500 / O'Rourke M 34,125
    Talented but troubled Buddle had some success under Mo, and seems to have a little connection. So does O'Rourke though. I think this comes down to need and potential. Buddle is a starting quality forward when he is on, with some great potential. Toronto looks like they need options up front, so Buddle it is.

One from each (tough calls):

LAG: Veris-DEV D 16,500 / Gordon F 29,400 / Martino M 81,675 / Gardner-DEV M 29,767
    I am mostly looking at Veris. He is young, cheap, and showed some potential. Martino is looking overseas, but as an AM, I'm still looking, whether for keep or trade. Gordon is also cheap, and a relatively proven target forward in MLS, so the pick could go here. I take Veris' potential as one of the few defenders picked up in this draft, but this could go either way.

LAC: Lopez-DEV M 16,500 / Sanchez-DEV F 11,700 / Regan D 36,000 / Borja-DEV M 11,700? / O'Brien M 270,000
    Lopez and Sanchez are young studs, with Borja not too far behind. Regan showed well in MLS this past year, but was sent out by Mo. J O'Brien is incredibly skilled, but made of glass, and sucking a paycheck from MLS. I really like the first three options, but Lopez is too good to pass up for the future.

NE: Gonzalez-DEV M 11,700? / John D 36,000 / Riley M/D 29,400 / Larentowicz-DEV M/D 16,500 / Cancela M 126,000 / Hernandez M/D 150,000
    Many good options with the Revs, but I like Gonzalez' potential, and he is a mid. Riley and Larentowicz have also has shown well in MLS in their short times and are still young and cheap. Cancela and Hernandez are servicable options, but more expensive. I didn't realize how cheap John was, and if not for TFC's D signings I would probably take him.

DAL: Gbandi D 65,000 / Mina-YI F/M 80,000 / Burse-DEV G 11,700 / Goodson D 43,575 / Yi D 29,400
    This depends on the Ronnie O'Brien situation. Gbandi is the stud of the group and a left sided player, while Yi and Goodson are both potentially very good, and inexpensive, CB options. Mina is intriguing, but on an undetermined loan and coming off an injury; without those considerations, he is my pick hands down. Burse looks like he will be a stud GK in a few years, so I keep him in mind too. Gbandi may just be too attractive of a pick, and he is taken for keep or trade, but if Mina is guaranteed to be in MLS in 07, I actually probably may take him. If they get ROB, no one goes from here.

CHI: Jaqua F 50,873 / Plotkin-DEV M 11,700 / Carr F 30,000 /
    Tough choice here, and there are some quality players I've already narrowed out. And for different reasons, all three of these are decent picks. Plotkin has a few DEV years left and some potential. Jaqua is proven though out-of-contract, but good for keep or trade bait if he stays. Carr showed some potential, is quite fast, but not DEV time. This pick really depends on other picks, trade bait, who plays where, etc, but I do pick one of these three.

Likely one from here:
    CLB: Moss M 28,000 / Cameron-DEV F 16,500 / Busch G 90,956 / Coiner F ? / Kotschau D 69,300
    Additional one out of all of these if Ronnie O'Brien is acquired from Dallas:
    KC: Van Der Bergh M ? / Groenwald M 28,000 / Wahl-DEV D 28,000
    COL: Nkong M ? / Noel F 28,000 / Kirovski F/M 150,000 / Petke D 120,000 / Gonzalez F 44,625

I like Van Der Bergh, Cameron, Moss, Nkong, Noel, and maybe Coiner (depending on salary) most out of here. However, if Donnet is selected, or ROB is acquired, I take out VDB. Cameron is young, cheap, and a forward, so I may take him; Otherwise I take Moss. However, there are many second-tier options; there are also a couple decent young players in KC. If Nkong reverts back to 2005 form now that he's back in MLS, he's a steal, but it is 2006, I don't know his salary, and I'm already picking up Williams, while TFC is hoping to acquire DeRo. Noel is another good pick, with alot of time available as a YI. Maybe TFC can help with his family situation in Haiti?, but I pick Noel or Nkong if ROB is acquired.

I think hard about taking another forward in Carr, Gordon, or Cameron though.

If Toronto needs a GK (doesn't get Sutton), I take Busch from Columbus instead of Moss/Cameron.

Total Cost:
    42,500 (maybe 200,000 if not ROB)
    65,000 (28,000 if ROB)
    =======
    518,573 if taking Jaqua/Moss instead of other CHI/CLB and not getting ROB.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recant my statement on GKs as I forgot Busch was available. He is my #1 GK out of this draft.

1. Busch
    2. Burpo
    3. Rimando
    4. Wells
    5. Thornton
    with Burse with high potential

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using these players (& signings)

-----------------Sutton-------------------
    ---Braz-----Serioux------Reda-----Gbandi--
    -----Pozniak-----Simms-----Brennan-------
    -----------------Williams------------------
    ---------Jaqua-------------Buddle---------

Bench: Lopez, Gonzalez, Veris, Moss (very nice potential here)

Donnet or O'Brien would look good in Pozniak's spot however

But I am thinking some get traded.

Assuming ROB acquired, & Jaqua for Jazic, O'Brien replaces Pozniak, while Jazic replaces Gbandi. Nkong or Noel is drafted and on the bench (though someone filling in for Jaqua), or you could go 4-5-1, something like this:

---Braz-----Serioux------Reda-----Jazic---
    -----O'Brien------Simms-----Brennan------
    -----------Nkong------Williams------------
    -----------------Buddle-------------------

OR

---Braz-----Serioux------Reda-----Jazic---
    -----------Moss-------Simms-------------
    -----O'Brien-----Williams----Brennan-------
    -----------------Buddle-------------------

I'd do a 3-5-2, but I'm not as familiar with Toronto's defensive options.

19. steve101

steve101 New Member

Jul 8, 2006
    CARR could be a "junior international", I believe, since he has AUSTRALIAN citizenship, as well as American.

Exciting player, we learned.

20. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague
    To say that he "struggled a great deal" is actually very generous. He was utter crap. From reports of those who saw the games, he was even clearly outclassed in reserve team matches. If you want him, just wait a bit, as he will certainly be cut by Arena before next season begins.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. curtwpg

curtwpg Member

May 19, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Included in the above noted article is the following quote from Johnston regarding the talent level of the players available in the draft:

"It's fairly poor, to be honest with you," Johnston said. "And we knew that going in. Can we get something? Of course we can. We've got a few names."

First, I do not necessarily agree with this statement. Compared to the RSL/Chivas draft the quality is outstanding.

What strikes me most about the statement is its stupidity with regards to man management. Imagine if you are one of the exposed players. In essence, you have been told by your current team that you are expendable and there are 11 (minimum) players who they perceive as more valuable than you to the team. This would be an obvious blow to their ego and confidence. Now you are being told by your potential new manager that their team's assessment of your quality is accurate. Johnston is, in effect, saying that the players aren't very good. Way to build up your players, Mo!

The next problem I have with this statement relates to public image. The fact of the matter is that the players drafted will make up a good portion of the team that will be fielded in 2007. Mo is telling the potential ticket buyers that the players that will be on display are not very good at all. Way to sell your team, Mo!

Lastly, any reasonable person will then say: "well the new players that come in will surely be great. Right?" The fact of the matter is that some of them were so great that nobody in MLS felt they were good enough to sign. The fact that they would count as SIs is not a fact that will be picked up by many. Moreover, I would not rate players such as Reda, Braz, Pozniak and Sutton as being any better than the players that will be selected in the expansion draft. Way to promote the team, Mo!

I can only imagine what the higher ups at MLSE thought when they read Mo's comments. Probably something to the effect of: "why did we hire this idiot. It seems as though he is covering his ass for a sh*tty season."

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I agree, it's a no-brainer for FCT to trade with LA, so as to bring on another MLS-quality canuck while helping LA by pulling a SI off their roster.

But the wildcard in this is Jaqua: Would he actually re-sign with MLS to play with the Gals? In addition, Jaqua's salary demands are likely to approximate $100k/yr and I'm not sure the Gals have the space or the want to pay this much. [He was @ $51k/yr, and he's got a fair goal-scoring record in MLS, hence the bump-up to ~$100k/yr.]

Looking at the Gals' forwards, they already have the "tall oaf" position filled by Alan Gordon.
    They have two internationals, Landonp\/ssy and Cornell Glen.
    They have a former club MVP and 11 goal scorer in Herculez Gomez.
    They have veteran depth in Gavin Glinton.

In terms of their wide midfield, they already have Quaranta and Kirk.

In sum, it would appear that there isn't a starting spot awaiting him in LA. I still believe [~15 min before the expansion draft] that FCT is unlikely to select Jaqua, and he is more likely to go overseas.