Expansion Draft, who do we protect

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Nov 7, 2011.

1. OK, so the rules aren't quite clear to me, but let's consider who we protect in the expansion draft. First, let me say, I predict we won't lose anyone. Montreal can draft 10 players and not more than one from any team. I believe Gully and Pineda are automatically excluded. I don't know if anyone else will qualify as generation adidas. Johnson played so much he's probably a regular now. So, here's my guesses.

Johnson
    Anibaba
    Gargan
    Segares
    Either Mikulic or Gibbs. Maybe Mikulic due to Gibbs age and injury history
    Pappa
    Pause
    Grazzini
    Nyarko
    Oduro
    Pardo, though he's old and expensive
    If not Pardo, then maybe Nazarit or Bone?
    I'm sure I've missed some rules regarding internationals, etc., but it's a start. Have at it.

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEW YORK, NY, October 19, 2011 – Major League Soccer will hold the 2012 MLS Expansion Draft via conference call on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 2 p.m. ET. The League’s 19th team, the Montreal Impact, will select 10 players during the 10-round draft.

Each current MLS club will have the opportunity to protect 11 players from their 2011 roster.

Generation adidas players (who will not graduate at the end of the 2011 season) and Homegrown Players on the team’s Off-budget Roster are automatically protected and do not count against each team’s 11 protected roster spots. Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in his contract.

Clubs must submit their protected roster to MLS on Monday, November 21. The protected rosters will be made public later that day.

Expansion Draft Rules
    • MLS Clubs may protect 11 players between their On-budget and their Off-budget Roster. If the Player’s contract expires at the end of 2011, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.

• If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the new CBA.

• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

• Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season or Homegrown Players on a Club’s Off-budget Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.

• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster at the end of the 2011 MLS Season are automatically protected (Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).

• Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer international players it may make available not more than one. (See table below).

• For purposes of this expansion process, for US-based clubs, any non-domestic US player would count as an International and, for Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps, any non-domestic US player or non-domestic Canadian players would count as an International.

• Designated players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.

• Once a player has been claimed from a team’s non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.

• Rounds: The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.

The 11 I would protect:

1.Jalil Anibaba
    2.Orr Barouch
    3.Dan Gargan
    4.Cory Gibbs
    5.Sebastian Grazzini
    6.Sean Johnson
    7.Patrick Nyarko
    8.Dominic Oduro
    9.Marco Pappa
    10.Pavel Pardo
    11.Gonzalo Segares

3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The 11 I would protect:

1.Jalil Anibaba
    2.Orr Barouch
    3.Dan Gargan
    4.Cory Gibbs
    5.Sebastian Grazzini
    6.Sean Johnson
    7.Patrick Nyarko
    8.Dominic Oduro
    9.Marco Pappa
    10.Pavel Pardo
    11.Gonzalo Segares

Don't disagree at all.

4. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently, we have to protect at least 4 of our international slot players. Which probably means we'll protect at least Pappa, Grazzini, Pardo and either Mikulic or Chaves.

5. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Why is everyone protecting Gargan. Theres probably better right backs available from other teams, so I doubt he will be picked.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in October

So the 11 players I would protect.

Barouch Orr
    Johnson Sean
    Anibaba Jalil
    Grazzini Sebastian
    Cuesta Yamith*
    Oduro Dominic
    Cory Gibbs
    Nyarko Patrick
    Pappa Marco
    Gonzalo Segares
    Dan Gargan or Logan Pause?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24542440&postcount=434

Ok, I did not have Oduro on my list so that was wrong.

Now:

Barouch Orr
    Johnson Sean
    Anibaba Jalil
    Grazzini Sebastian - I
    Pavel Pardo - I
    Oduro Dominic
    Mikulic - I
    Nyarko Patrick
    Pappa Marco - I
    Gonzalo Segares
    Dominic Oduro

4 Internationals.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If we have to protect 4 internationals, I would say protect Chaves over Gibbs.

8. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loan players have to be protected? (Orr)
    Isn't Johnson still GA?

9. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. Keep mind that that either we or Montreal would owe Tigres a transfer fee to keep him. Depending on how big the fee is, it may not be worth it to protect him.

Probably won't be two weeks from now.

10. While Barouch has had his moments, he just seems too slow to me to be a long term option. Gibbs is getting a bit long in the tooth and has a history of injuries. I don't mind keeping him but he may be worth not protecting since Montreal probably won't take him due to age and salary.

11. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Protect:

Johnson
    Gibbs, Anibaba, Sega
    Pardo, Pause, Grazzini, Pappa
    Oduro, Nyarko, Orr

12. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My brain says no, my heart says yes. One of my top 5 Firemen of all time.

13. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    The nice part of having 18 other teams and only one team entering the league is that 8 teams wont lose a player at all.

I think we need to protect captain backpass. He actually looked pretty good next to Pardo.

Also, isn't Jalil Generation Adidas or am I totally wrong on that?

14. marniman

marniman Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Jalil was not Gen Adidas.

15. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming we're not listing Nasrit as protected because we're hoping his high salary scares Montreal away?
    I'm not writing off the kid yet.

16. The biggest difficulty in projecting this is lack of knowledge.
    Who's GA and who isn't
    Who's got no trade clause
    Who must be protected, especially internationals
    Whose contract has expired and whose will expire next year
    Who is on loan, terms of loans, rules regarding these
    How old is everyone
    Status of injuries
    Guessing at much of the above, many times players are unprotected assuming others won't take them due to high salary, age, contract terms,etc.
    Given the above, don't be surprised if Gibbs, Pause, Pardo, Nazarit, etc. are left unprotected. I don't think anyone from the Fire will be taken unless a deal is worked out ahead of time.

17. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Per Section8chicago twitter, Expansion Draft protected players:
    Johnson
    Pardo
    Pause
    Pappa
    Grazzini
    Oduro
    Gibbs
    Anibaba
    Sega
    Barouch
    Nyarko

discuss....

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You win the prize.

:D

I don't think we really needed to protect either sega or Gibbs. Too old and injury prone to use an expansion pick on either one. As of now, I would have liked to protect Gargan. He's not an all-star, but we have had difficulty filling our outside back slots and he would be a solid and fairly cheap pick up by Montreal. I would not be shocked if Jesse used one of his picks on him.

19. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not surprised in the least about this list. We basically protected our starters, except for Barouch. I think they were forced to protect Sega because we do not really have any other options at LB.

I'll only get upset if we lose Gargan, Cuesta, or Chaves. Even if we do, I'm sure I'll get over it when the season starts.

20. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I agree, I would have protected Gargan.

21. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. He's the player that stands out as the most likely to get picked of the ones we left unprotected. I'm surprised with Barrouch being on the protected list, especially given that Klopas has talked about making it a priority to sign a new forward in the offseason. I like Barrouch, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be much risk of him getting picked.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree 100%. It would be a shame to lose Chaves, Gargan (who we should have protected over Logan Pause), or Cuesta (in that order), but I also agree I'd get over it pretty quickly.

23. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    examiner.com

On an amusing side note, Banner is listed on both the examiner's protected and unprotected list. :D

24. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully that will confuse them enough so they move on...:)

25. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. No one picked.