Expansion Draft: Who did we protect??

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dk_dynamite, Nov 16, 2004.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised about the lack of discussion on the inclusion of Walker on the list. He went from being a factor in the previous MLS Cup to the list in one year. What happened?

Although I like him, it doesn't surprise me that he ended up on the list. He really sucked this year and showed non of the promise of 2003.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about no one taking Ekelund. The article on MLSnet.com has Ellinger being intrigued and surprised that Ekelund was there for the taking, so I'm wondering if Real SL might actually take him.

3. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they afford him? Ekelund's not cheap, and RSL already has to squeeze Keller under their salary cap. I bet Kreis isn't cheap either.

However, either Chivas or RSL could draft anyone as trade fodder.

4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Draft prediction from MLSNet: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041118&content_id=19398&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

16. Real Salt Lake selects DF Ronnie Ekelund - Some may argue that Ekelund doesn't have much left in the tank, but one thing he does still have is his professionalism. Ekelund, at the very least, will be a good presence in RSL's locker room (and we still think he's got something for the field of play, too).
    16a. Earthquakes protect Chris Roner - It was unfortunate that Roner was lost for the season before it even began because he showed in 2003 that he can contribute to a championship team.

5. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I was over on teir boards earlier today just snooping around, and the word is that Keller isnt going to Salt Lake, afterall.........

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:
    I'm worried that we exposed Walker and Conway.

I'm not surprised that we exposed Agoos because I think that he should retire. Heck, if I were Salt Lake or Chivas I might ask Agoos to be an assistant coach. At Chivas, he'd be a big help with the US players on the team and I bet he speaks at least some Spanish, most of the players do.

The Quakes have been thinking about putting Ronnie out to pasture for years. So no surprise there either. I think I'd have protected him, but then, I'd have made Agoos and Dayak my coaches too.

I expect that Walker will get picked up by RSL. He didn't have a good season this year, but he's still young, he's got lots of potential and I fear that he'll do really well for RSL. Good for Jamil, bad for the Quakes.

Roner may not get drafted because other teams will worry about his health.

There are a bunch of great keepers available, so Conway is likely safe too. Meola, Walker, Ring, DJ Countess, Keller, and Garlick are all available. Any team would do well to take Meola or Ring. Keller would be an excellent choice for keeper. If Chivas is going to try to have an all Hispanic team (I think that's a crazy idea) then they won't be interested in any of these guys. If I were RSL I think I'd try to get Keller and then draft a young GK as backup. I might take Meola instead of Keller and draft a young back up. But I don't see either RSL or CD Chivas taking Conway.

Of course, I could be totally full of it (or myself) too! ;)

LONG LIVE THE QUAKES!!

- Mark

7. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    All in all, Walker is fast, but that's about it.

Every game he was in this year (O.K., not many) he was manhandled.

IMO.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He just did not play enough. I don't care what you do in practice, if you don't get MLS game experience, you can't play at MLS game speed. If he gets a half-hour for a couple weeks in a row, you can see what he is capable of. Don't forget how terrible Robinson was his first few starts (or, in fact, just about any of the rookies).

Looks like spending days and nights praying to the God who's American apostle was lynched on my birthday did not coax RSL into drafting Ekelund. Damn. (Ok, I lied. I spent days and nights playing Half-Life 2.)