Expansion Draft thoughts

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the below post on the MLS Board re: the 1998 Expansion Draft:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74046

In 1998, there were 2 teams drafting players. This year, if Chivas is on board as quickly as we hear, they will be the only one.

Has anyone 'in the know' heard anything about plans for a Chivas expansion draft?

Otherwise, which 5-10 Revs players would you make available for the draft?

2. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My list

10 players for 2 teams so 5 players for 1 team?

Kyle Singer
    Nick Downing
    Dario Fabbro
    Jason Moore
    Tony Frias

If I had to pick 5 more:

Carlos Llamosa
    Leo Cullen
    Joe-Max Moore
    Dimelon Westfield (or his rights anyway)
    Ibrahim Kante

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall, there were other stipulations with the 1998 draft--that you had to protect some of your foreigners, for example, so we couldn't leave Leo "the turtle" Squadrone unprotected. (Strange thing from looking at the Soccer America link, we left Beto and Farias unprotected, but I think Beto was gone to Ironi Ben Ishdod by that time and Colo was here on loan, so neither was coming back anyway). With Chivas, you would assume that they will have their own SIs (Mexicans) in mind, so they won't want Fabbro or anyone else's SIs for that matter. There could also be rules on P-40s, TIs or whatever other player distinctions there are.

Last time around, if you lost a player, you could protect an additional player on your list, and no one could lose more than 3 players. The first 3 players picked were from DC, IIRC.

And of course, the day that will live in infamy around here is when they left Francis Okaroh unprotected, and kept Keego.

Tom

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upon further review...

Wait a sec, we DID protect Colo... Here is the list of players we protected and left up for grabs at the end of the 1997 season:

Available -- GK Jeff Causey, GK Scott Coufal, F Giuseppe Galderisi, D Erik Imler, F Rob Jachym, MF John Kerr, Jr., MF Steve Klein, MF/F Alberto Naveda, D Francis Okaroh, F/MF Darren Sawatzky, MF Evans Wise.

Protected -- MF Imad Baba, D/MF Mike Burns, D Ted Chronopoulos, MF Alejandro Farias, F Paul Keegan, D Alexi Lalas, MF Ivan McKinley, MF/F Joe-Max Moore, D Leonardo Squadrone, GK Walter Zenga, D Brian Dunseth (project-40).

I remember being dumfounded that we "released" Farias a few weeks after this, and I asked Rongen about this at the USA-El Salvador game in November. He said that he was on loan, so if he wasn't coming back, why didn't they just leave him
    unprotected and keep Francis? Also, Zenga wasn't coming back either, but perhaps we didn't know that at the time.

I gotta say, this ranks right up there with Tampa Bay wasting their first-round draft pick on college star Mike Fisher, without interviewing him first. If they had, they would have known that his plan was to forgo the lucrative MLS rookie contract and go to Medical School. Where is Doctor Fisher now?

Tom

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would bet that they would want to find their own SI's, probably from their own club or reserve if they have one. as far as my first 5:
    Cullen
    JMM
    Moore
    LLamosa
    Fabro(i know he is an SI)
    Downing

next 5:
    Franchino
    Cbrown
    Singer
    Frias
    kante, I

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is that we better keep Frias! Who the hell else is going to drive the team bus??? ;)

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that you'd rather not risk that Chivas would take Kyle Singer, Ibraham Kante, or Tony Frias, but you wouldn't mind them taking proven (yet admittedly older and more expensive) guys like Joe-Max and Llamosa?? At least those guys can contribute. Whether they are worth their salaries is another matter, but it seems that if we only need to leave 5 off, then it's a no-brainer. Any of the following would be reasonable choices:
    Fraias
    Singer
    Westfield
    I Kante
    J Moore
    Downing
    Fabbro

and depending on what we've got going on allocation- and replacement-wise, possibly
    Cullen
    D Kante
    C Brown
    Reis

and only if we have replacements identified and signed (and are ready to ditch them)
    JM Moore
    Llamosa

The guys who are untouchable under any circumstances would be:
    A Brown
    Pierce
    Heaps
    Franchino
    Joseph
    Kamler
    Ralston
    Leonard
    Noonan
    Cancela
    Twellman

Tom

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Re: Upon further review...

I also wish I knew were Dr. Fisher is now.

I remember seeing him working in a Bodo's Bagel Bakery in Charlottesville in the mid to late 1990's while he studied for his UVA medical degree.

If I had to choose between a Mutiny jersey or a white apron, I don't know which one I would have gone with.

9. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Re: My list

I'd largely agree with this, but (sadly) would have to switch the two Moores.

$$$

I would also switch I. Kante with Downing.

10. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to pick 5:

Tony Frias
    Dimelon Westfield's rights
    Jason Moore
    Kyle Singer
    Jay Heaps

That last one was kinda tough, but I don't trust him at all. And Leonard and Kam have proven they can play in that spot. Even better, Downing showed promise in his games. I'd say protect him.

That said, I can't believe how many of you would let Carlos out to dry. He's saved the Revs' butts a few times. He's always where he needs to be, even if he can't run thereafter. Cornerkicks are almost never a threat with Double-L in the lineup.

I almost put Matt Reis on my list, too.

11. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, in contrary of JMM's "expensive" salary, his contract is up after this season.

I'm sure he will re-sign for another year for a considerable less amount.....

...add that to the fact that I'm willing to bet that he'll come through strongly for the next month, and into the playoffs, thus hopefully putting to rest all the the talks of leaving him unprotected for the anticipated expansion draft.

12. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my 5 would be:

I.Kante (hasnt proven anything in his play)
    Westfields rights (if we can do that)
    Frias (we dont need any more concrete)
    Singer (tough, but could come bite us later)
    Llamosa (hes OLD. he will be done in 1yr max.)

D.Kante would be the only other one i would think about. and if i had to put him in there, it would be for Llamosa

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Professor, you may have your reasons for not trusting Heaps, but as he is the right back and Kam and Leonard are left-sided players, Do you perhaps picture Rusty backed up by Downing as the right backs?

For myself, I like Heaps better and better back there.

I agree with RG06 that the end of the season is huge for JMM.

I'm not so anxious to see Westfield go. I think he could be good.

Taking up a space on the expansion draft list will be the biggest contribution yet made by TFIII. The beauty is (from the Kraftian point of view) no one will take him, and no difficult phone calls to TFI will be required.

14. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Here is an interesting one. Take our 97 draft bait and our projected 03/04 list.

Available 1997 -- GK Jeff Causey, GK Scott Coufal, F Giuseppe Galderisi, D Erik Imler, F Rob Jachym, MF John Kerr, Jr., MF Steve Klein, MF/F Alberto Naveda, D Francis Okaroh, F/MF Darren Sawatzky, MF Evans Wise.

Available 2003/04 -- Singer, Frias, Jason Moore, Downing, I. Kante

Protected -- MF Imad Baba, D/MF Mike Burns, D Ted Chronopoulos, MF Alejandro Farias, F Paul Keegan, D Alexi Lalas, MF Ivan McKinley, MF/F Joe-Max Moore, D Leonardo Squadrone, GK Walter Zenga, D Brian Dunseth (project-40).

Protected 2003/04 -- A. Brown, Pierce, Franchino, Heaps, Ralston, Llamosa, Kamler, Leonard, Joseph, Cancela, Ralston, Noonan, Twellman, JM Moore.

What would the score be if these two teams played one another?

JIM DOW

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly has JMM proven in the past 2 years? he is not the player he was 5 years ago and he never will be. Great guy, fan favorite...thats about as far as it goes. Ya ya ya, he has had bad luck, but the guy is just too damn fragile and he is not getting any younger or healthier. Llamosa is turning into that orange cone you see at practice. When healthy they can both contibute but why keep the salary, which i am sure are two of the higher ones on the roster, when u can get rid of them and find guys that can contribute for the entire season. I am a huge JMM fan but i don't want to see the Revs waste that salary on a player that "can contribute" but only 50% of the games because the rest of the time he is on the trainers table. what if the Revs trade LLamosa or JMM and have to pay part or all of their salary for next year? or for some strange MLS reason the salaries still count against the cap? this would be a way to rid themselve of thier salaries with no strings attached. Great having you guys here,,,,thanks for the memories.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant. I got no clue of most players' footedness, but there's enough depth to spare Heaps. ANd we know how to beat him. Get him one on one and deke him to the left before going right.

LL is not a cone.