Expansion Draft :: It's Gameday

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb. Just dumb.

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only are guys like Ramirez going to Chivas, but it sounds like Clint Mathis is a lock for RSC too. These teams are really starting to take shape. I'm sorry to see Akwari gone, and I hope we don't wind up regretting this move a month into the season.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will forever like the guy on the hot list for his jabbing at Eric and his attire. That was funny.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's not a lock by any means. Trust me. Clint's being shopped around Europe by his agent, MLS is the last place he wants to end up. Stoner is a moron for making it sound like a done deal.

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Dumb is taking Matt Taylor.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    ReAL takes Erick Scott. Fvck.

Nobody took Denton. Cut his ass...now...

7. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    See ya Erick Scott. We hardly knew ye.

8. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy Williams seemed to be under the impression the Clint would go to Salt Lake too.

Erick Scott to Salt Lake. How bizarre is that?

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Only after Stoner said something to him about it...
    Not really, you know Ellinger has seen him at the youth levels...and he obviously impressed there so it isn't a total shock.

10. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing the two lists, Chivas really came out ahead of that draft.

11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both of these teams could wind up being quite formidable. If Chivas can really get 10 Mexican players onto their squad, besides the players they picked up today and the guys they'll get in the Superdraft, I wouldn't put it past them to wind up winning the whole darn league next year.

Salt Lake could turn out to be pretty tough too, especially if they get Mathis. Andy ought to have a fun time trying to send balls into Mathis and Kreis next year. I'd really hate to lose to RSL 1-0 next season, with their goal being scored by Scott, while Testo sits on our bench twiddling his thumbs.

12. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, guess it was only a matter of time...

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All teams have 4 SI and 3 TI spots next year, additionally the expansion teams get 2 more TI spots. Throw in one Mexican from Chivas that has a Green Card and you have 10 players from Chivas.

Oh and MLS has it's first farm league team.

Losing Akwari was a huge mistake on the Crew FOs part. He's a leader and the time he spent with Fraser along with playing for Ellinger is going to turn him into a top defender in this league. At least the Crew got Testo back, he's got a hell of a left foot. Obviously Ellinger knows the young CONCACAF talent and he picked up both Brenes and Scott. Not too surprising there.

I'm surprised CUSA picked up Walker and Taylor and I'm surprised RSL didn't pick up Trembly and Salyer with their connection to Ellinger.

14. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am working tonight, anybody have a full list of draftees so far?

15. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Come on, CUSA is getting 5 over the hill Mexicans who can't play with the first team anymore and 5 U-24s that can't crack the first team. It's not going to be as fabulous as Stone and Waldo made it out to be. If those guys come over and try to treat MLS as a joke the way Campos and Hernandez did, they're in for a big surprise

RSL picked up players that Ellinger KNOWS. Players that he's trained or had to study for. There's lots of young talented players in there. Personally I think RSL finishes ahead of CUSA this year.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now let's see:

When Greg Andrulis had Washington, Testo and Scott available to play, he started Washington and played Testo a little and sat Scott.

When Ellinger can have his choice of the three, he takes Scott.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
  18. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the loss of Akwari. I would imagine that Sanneh's arrival and Oughton's step up in play made him expendable in GA's eyes. But when we needed Nelson, he stepped in an performed an adequate to outstanding job on the back line.

It's probably better for him in the long run, assuming he gets to start regularly for RSL.

The loss of Scott is not a tremendous one.

If we protected Testo, can we assume he is staying with MLS? GA must have news on that else he wouldn't have protected him?

19. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He couldn't take Testo because when he took Akwari the Crew took Testo off. Washington will only play in two places, so you knew no one would pick him.

20. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Is it possible that we've just witnessed the biggest scam in the history of MLS? Goff at the Washington Post has been writing for a week that Ryan Nelsen was gone to England, but never got a direct quote from Nelson or his agent saying he was gone. DC left him unprotected because everyone knew he was gone. Then, DCU does their magic and decides to protect him after their first player was taken. So, if he was indeed gone, why in the world would they pull him off the list? Did they pull a quick one on the rest of the league?

Or it could just be that they want to receive the allocation when he does leave. Anyone know?

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We lost who I expected to lose. Damnit. God luck Nelson.

22. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I had mixed emotions on seeing Andy Williams go to RSL. He seems too talented to be traded 5 times in a league needing AMs. Apparently he hasn't learned to get along with coaches and play his role - as asked.

After watching the Nats v Jamaica game it seems shape is a team/cultural problem as individual play is OK vs. role/positional play. Those guys were all over the place and rarely appeared to be orgraniczerd. Too bad, as they had some real talented guys.

23. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Looked like he needed some speed up front, too, after Kreis etc.

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm disappointed we lost Akwari, but losing Scott doesn't seem too big since, really, we played without him all season. Akwari really brought something to this team, but I guess with the team's current make-up he was destined to sit play about half the season again, but this time actually costing the team cap space and a senior roster slot.

25. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Is Herdsman officially finished for '05? If he came back Nellie was certainly expendable as a rt back and probably too small to play center in this league.