Expansion Draft Day (R)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BillQ, Nov 19, 2004.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    WRT Ring vs Zach. Doncha think one will be traded?

I agree. Williams (unlike say, Nowak) is unable to carry a 'down' team to victory.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilt has a said that the only keeper who will for sure be back next season is Pickens. Figure that either Ring or Thornton is gone. I don't think we'll see thw two of them battling over a spot again. Although, I guess it isn't a bad problem to have two damn fine keepers in the tank.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    My .02 says it will be Zach, and it wasn't going to be D.J. under any scenerio.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It would be nice to have 2 goalies of Ring and Thornton's caliber on your team, but at the present time (salary cap limitation), it is almost impossible.

5. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Does Thornton have a contract for 2005? I know Ring does not yet.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Good question.

I can't say for sure, but nobody has ever published a statement saying that he doesn't, so maybe, since nothing has been said, that is saying SOMETHING right there.

The press release from when we signed Thornton (Sept 10) doesn't mention anything either.

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/MLS/...ent_id=14196&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=chf

7. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs
    FireAlarm says Zach has been "named" the starter by the Fire.... first I read this....

The draft cleared some room in the Fire's roster but also sets up an interesting situation at keeper. Henry Ring, expected by many to be a top pick, was passed over and now has his situation in flux, out of contract and the Fire naming Zach Thornton as starter next season. Ring will likely be used as trade bait as he is out of contract and the club is unwilling to carry two well-paid keepers on the roster.

http://www.thefirealarm.com/tfadefault.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=605

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Well, Chivas must have a keeper in mind to bring in from Mexico as they didnt' take one of the many available.

I feel bad for Ring. After finally getting his chance, and playing very well this season, he looks like the odd man out in Chicago and I don't see where he's going to go. He certainly has no leverage to negotiate a decent deal. It's tough to make a living in MLS, especially as a keeper.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I believe that is correct.

10. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
  11. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    I'm happy with the way things shook out for the Fire.

Only Williams will be missed, and not by everyone. I think more shuffling is in the works, and the 2005 team will be a lot better in general.

Here's my 2005 predictions, based on nothing but my own idle rambling: Armas and Marsch will get healthier and Marsch will have an amazing season. Armas will be good, but not as good as in previous years. Razov will get injured again early and retire at the end of the year.

Defense will remain solid. Curtin will have a real oddball injury early that will keep him out for a few games but will come back fine.

The midfield will get organized, and will have a scary breakout of production after the all star break. It will be the leading factor in our capturing the East in 2005.

Forwards will find each other. Except Ralph, who will not score a lot. He will contribute, but he just won't score. Andy Herron will be flavor du jour and may even rival Freddy Adu in popularity.

GK - Thornton will be fine. Ring will get traded to the west, where he will burn us in the finals and we'll lose 1 - 0 in a shootout.

12. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    "Some big name players from Club Deportivo Guadalajara (Chivas) have already made up the spine of what this team will eventually look like, with the likes of Francisco Palencia and Ramon Ramirez and goalkeeper Alfredo Talavera rumored to be moving to Los Angeles." from here.

Palencia and Ramirez were introduced to the multitude as members of the new team during the announcement in LA back in September. Both are long time Mexican national team players and current members of CD Guadalajara. Palencia is, at 30, a starter for the team and one of the team's leading goalscorers. That kind of shows you that Vergara is pretty serioius about this venture. Talavera is the 21 year old backup to National team keeper Oswaldo Sanchez and has been impressive in the few opportunities he's gotten to play.

13. RogerinIL

RogerinIL New Member

Feb 24, 1999
    Chivas can get quite a few players from its Mexican league team on the MLS roster if they choose. There are the 4 Senior International slots, up to three Transitional International slots (foreign players under 25 at end of season/counts against regular roster) and the developmental slots (foreign players under 22). Chivas USA will certainly have a strong Chivas Mexico presence.

The rumor is that the Metros will trade Johnny Walker to Chivas leaving them in need of a goalkeeper.

The Metros would need to deal for a keeper. The leading possibilities would seem to be for one of our keepers, possibly Meola from KC (based on the strong showing of Bo Oshiniyi when Tony was injured), or possibly Brown/Reis from NE.

Finally, I'm not that upset with Andy Williams departure. Compared to 2003, he didn't seem nearly as effective in 2004. It seemed to me that the team played some of their best games when he was gone.

14. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    I was under the impression that developmental contracts had strict $$ limitations. If that's the case I doubt there will be very many "imported" mexicans for those positions (unless there are other $$ changing hands elsewhere).
    Only twice as many goals, more assists, and 50% more points than 2003.

15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    My guess (and this is just a guess) is that Chivas will have ways to pay their imported players through their other club if necessary. Kind of the way the stinky fish gets paid for the gals.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they will be sending mostly youth and B team players to Chivas USA. That means that they aren't making much money, and an MLS side can surely afford them. I believe the 'keeper they want to bring over is backup 'keeper Alfredo Talavera. I'm pretty sure he is still a TI.

17. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    The Galaxy pays for hookers?