Expansion Draft Day (R)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BillQ, Nov 19, 2004.

1. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    Well, I'd say I'm pleasantly suprised at Perez going, especially so early. gonna miss andy, but overall that was pretty painless.

2. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Looks like Chivas pissed off RSL, brilliant.
    Enter Brennes to RSL, welcome to MLS Chivas...

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It's painless as long as we can replace Andy Williams at attacking midfield. With last year's roster sizes, I would be happy with Capano at that position. But with the expanded roster I would want a #1 A-mid with Capano as a backup and student of the position. 2+ years of a Thiago (or whoever we have lined up as the next A-mid) will give Capano some years to grow.

I'm in favor of protecting Evan. He's a great utility player even if he doesn't excel at defense or midfield. He can step in and play both, even if not for an entire season.

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad we got rid of perez and we can definately up grade attacking midfield with the allocations we have coming.Will we sign Ring he is out of contract and trade thornton or ring?

5. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Are the 9 players that CD Chivas USA is receiving from Chivas developemental players? Only 4 SI spots, how big is the player pool in Chivas?

6. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    My question exactly! Well, my first question...anyway. My second question was why Whitless? - but I know the coaching staff has always been high on him.

Williams gone - CRAP !!!

[​IMG]

7. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Low wage good player is my guess.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

There's the bright side I was looking for. Thanks.

9. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    What do you guys think about playing Herron and Ralph up top, and Razov as a withdrawn forward/a-mid in a 3-4-3/3-5-2? If he bounces back from injury I think it might be worth playing with. Before he went out this year, he was doing a lot of tracking back and did manage to send some creative/dangerous balls forward. Just crazy enough to work???

10. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Interesting suggestion - I think my preference is to see if Mr. Capano is ready to step up to this challenge.

11. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Williams...

I was greatly suprised that he was put in the draft pool to begin with, on-again-off again performances notwithstanding. I think that he improved a lot with us this year and his periods of ineffectiveness were due to being misutilized by the coach, e.g. slid into the middle instead of outside. Perhaps he funks when this happens, here is to lots of funkitude when we play FC Mormons. But I think Williams will be the sort that will really pay back his old club when he plays him. Mark my words: Williams nets at least twice against the Fire next year.

All I can say is I think this one will come back to haunt us unless Dave and Peter have something pretty good in mind for allocations. Williams in good form is a top-notch attacking mid with tons of speed. MLS is becoming a speed league and I don't see where we fill that void.

Perez: Thanks for the memories pal. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Best of luck to D.J. I kinda feel bad for Henry, must be like Deja Vu all over again for him. "Thornton?! Thought I'd seen the last of him!"

12. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    I think this would be very good. I think I suggested it a while back.

13. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Bye Andy...and DJ, although we didnt really see him much

14. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I doubt anyone has that much venom. He has a lot of 'old clubs' to pay back ;)

15. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    I seem to remember that he paid back Metros in every game last year.

16. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    If he had that much venom, he would be the greatest MLSer. Ever.

17. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    ha, musta missed it. great minds think alike, I guess.

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys should chill out with the Whitfield hate. He's no where near as bad as you make him out to be. You're pissed that he was protected because you wanted him to be taken after Williams?!?

Please tell me which one of these players you would rather have on our roster next year instead of him.

Orlando Perez - The most loved man on bigsoccer
    DJ Countess - 100k of fourth string goalkeeper.

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Well. Back from Columbus. Not a single suprise as far as our players are concerned. It was obvious as soon as Williams was unprotected that he would be selected. We've known Perez was going to Chivas (and been happy about it forever) and we also had a good idea that Countess would be gone. I have had and still have an inkling that Ring was left unprotected with almost full knowledge that he wouldn't be taken, in other words he was safe. I don't think we've heard the last of the Ring or Thornton controversy (unless I've missed something, I really just got back from the US game).

I'm dissapointed to be giving up Williams but hopefully whoever replaces (Capano, SI, TI etc) will be better and more consistent.

20. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs
    Now with DJ gone, who'll be the starter in '05? Zach or Henry?

21. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I don't hate Whitfield. I hate the fact that he plays for us. I hate it when he gives out cheap shot fouls and picks up hothead cards. I hate the way he gives up free kicks right outside the 18 that wind up being game losing goals. And I REALLY hate the fact that he's currently our best option at right side back! :mad:

Oh, and yes I'm glad to be rid of DJ's salary and Captain Headband in toto.

22. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he still could be traded or released.

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Look at the talent put out by other teams, the Fire has a lot of talented players, other teams have just about 12, that's all.

Plus, we never played like a team.

Also: No Perez? No Countess? What bounty! :D

24. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams i believe is a good player to have when things are going well but, he got very lazy when things were going bad. My guess is the reason why he was unprotected was because we'll probbly get a strong SI MF.

25. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With luck they'll get into an argument in the paper and we'll have more quotes like "Joe Bazooka" and "Scotty Pepper"