News: Expansion Delayed For One Year Due to Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Jul 17, 2020.

1. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS Expansion: New timeline released for inaugural season of newest clubs

MLS announced a new timeline for the inaugural seasons of three of the four expansion clubs in light of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Austin FC, which was announced back in January 2019 and made significant progress before the onset of the pandemic, will remain on schedule for a 2021 launch. The other three clubs, all announced in the second half of 2019, will each have their expansion seasons rescheduled by one year. The updated schedule follows below:

• Austin FC: 2021 inaugural season
      • Charlotte: 2022 inaugural season
      • St. Louis: 2023 inaugural season
      • Sacramento: 2023 inaugural season
    The decision was made by MLS Commissioner Don Garber, in conjunction with the league’s expansion committee.

“We have always taken a thoughtful and strategic approach to our expansion planning and have delivered successful launches for every new club,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber in a league statement. “It is important for each club to take the necessary time to launch their inaugural MLS seasons the way their fans and communities deserve. With the extra year to make up for what has been a challenging 2020, these teams will be well-positioned for their debuts and for long-term success.”

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this decision.

For certain, no one really knows what the future holds in terms of the timeline regarding COVID-19. No one has any idea when the return to normalcy for sports will happen. Which also means no one really knows how things are going to work out in terms of finances, TV contracts, revenue... it's a gigantic mess.

So I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to bring new franchises into the mix at a time like this. Bad enough to have 26 teams dealing with the mess.

That said, I don't understand why Austin stays on schedule for next year, but Charlotte doesn't. They were both scheduled for next year. If we're OK with Austin starting in the midst of all this, Charlotte should be prepared for it as well. And the other two teams should be able to stay on schedule as well. And if we're NOT OK with Charlotte starting next year, then why the hell are we expecting Austin to do it? They were both planning on 2021 launches. Either it's a good idea to launch, or it's not.

Also, 2022 is far enough into the future that I would have thought pushing St. Louis and Sacramento off by one year would be a decision that could be made later, after we had a better idea of what was happening.

I'm just confused by the thought process.

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume Austin's stadium will be ready by next year. Can't let it just sit there and collect dust for 12 months. Charlotte doesn't have that "problem".

That said, good luck to Nashville and Miami and Austin and any other team trying to build a fanbase right now. Not exactly ideal. You don't want all your potential fans to get into the habit of just watching games on tv and not going to them.

blacksun repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Austin has managed to weather the COVID storm better than Charlotte has.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's a case of how bad the virus is in a particular city, it's more a case of trying to do business in the current climate.

Austin's FO is a transplant from Columbus at least in part, plus they have a TD and a manager so they're ready to roll.

Charlotte has to create a brand new FO and doesn't have a head coach yet. I'm not sure how their only player, Sergio Ruiz, will feel about this.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably an excuse to delay so they'll be more prepared come the time. It gives them both a chance to start life in MLS in their new stadiums, neither of which will be ready until 2023.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, you have to consider Nashville & Miami have essentially had Prom Night ruined. At least Nashville got a home opener, Lockhart 2.0 has not had a grand opening yet, and might not.

This way, they kind of get to be the Belle of the Ball next year like they should have been this year.

Of course, I'm not sure NEXT year is not problematic, the way we are going.

superdave repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the clubs, not the cities

9. m_vandersee

m_vandersee Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested in seeing how this impacts the conferences moving forward. Obviously it is all subject to change due to COVID-19 and other factors, but this would allow for more regional play if they wanted to split into 3 conferences of 9 teams for next season (if the virus is worse in some regions than others). If they stick with just 2 conferences then Nashville could stay East in 2021 with Austin going into the West, but 2022 would probably force an Eastern team to the West at least temporarily.

10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I get it, but the Austin thing is a little weird. Okay, their stadium will be ready (probably) but Charlotte’s is ready now. Another season with unbalanced conferences seems more in line with the norm than an exception at this point, so while it sucks, it’s also NBD, too.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could just be that the owner in one place wanted an extra year and the other didn't.

12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possible- I thought Charlotte was kind of rushed as a 2021 team anyway, but was under the impression it was their ownership that rushed it. Obviously a pandemic will change a lot of folx minds, I guess if that was the case it would indicate the league collaborated with the teams and took their feedback into account instead of just saying, “here’s the new plan”. I’m guessing we’ll find out sooner or later, assuming there isn’t already reporting on the decision making process out there.

13. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    My hunch is sponsors and dollars... Austin was all set, right? not so much on the other three. I know STL has not announced anything as yet.

wingman2468 repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And Chicago who REALLY needed this relaunch to go well this season.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of 9 is interesting. Quick swing at it:

West: LAG, LAFC, SJ, Sea, Port, Van, RSL, COL, Minny (Sac).

Central/South: FCD, Hou, Austin, ATL, Mia, Orl, Nash, SKC, Chi. (Cha, STL)

Midwest/East: NYRB, NYFC, NE, Phi, TFC, Mon, CLB, Cincy, DC. (Chi moves here).

Feel free to flip DC/Chicago.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Austin is "set," but hey have announced a few sponsors, including some big ones (jersey, training center). No stadium sponsor yet, but I assume they're negotiating with people.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't get why they can't announce Sac Town for next season? They have a team, administration, they have a venue, and they have a fan base. If MLS is worried about the TV revenue split I'm sure they could make a deal, and it's not like that deal us worth so much that it would affect each team by 7 figures! And yes, the SRFC roster is USL guys right now but at least it's something. Think the fans and players (for which there'd at least be some turnover) wouldn't enjoy playing MLS matches? If anything it would be a rather quintessential expansion season.

I'm sure everyone has their reasons but this seems silly to not take them next season.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The track record of teams moving up to MLS on short notice is not good

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because they were originally slated to come into MLS in 2022?

This. Plus the on-field track record of the teams coming up from a lower league are also.....NOT good.

FCC - arguably still a USL team playing in an MLS world
    MNU - Took 3 years of on-field futility before figuring it out
    ORL - On-field have been a consistent mediocre mess
    MTL - yo-yo results on field. Good season, then bad season
    VAN - Not good. Rudderless on field ship
    POR - struggled initially before figuring it out
    SEA - the exception

20. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento to MLS in 2021 is a non-starter this late in the year.

That said, if the delay is just about the stadium, then I don't see a problem with keeping the 2022 start date. Although Papa Murphy's Park doesn't meet MLS standards for a permanent stadium, it is more than acceptable as a temporary venue if the Railyards stadium is delayed.

21. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    ...except that the FO has stated, in short words and simple phrases, that MLS games would NOT be played at CalExpo. I actually saw and heard Ben Gumpert say this in 2018, and I'll take him at his word.

Looking back on it now, this maneuver does not surprise. SRFC has been delaying and delaying the start of construction of the new stadium, and with them now pretty much outside the 19-22 month construction window, a one-year delay of entry into MLS seems to me to be a good idea.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't know. After watching some of these games on TV, I think people will be itching to experience the game another way. :sleep:

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah those 4-3 games always seem to bore me...