News: Expansion Bid News - catch all thread

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by KeeperDad30, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    FYI, Someone made team name suggestions in this thread just 3 or 4 posts above this. Weird that my post with a simple link to a survey got edited.

2. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he saw that post, thought it wasn't enough to say anything. Then saw your post, to a name the team survey, and assumed it would derail the thread with name suggestions. Not weird at all.

3. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Not terribly surprising. I would think all sponsorship discussions in the STL area start with the brewery.

Disappointing that the article uses the old, curved stadium south of market, rendering though. :(

5. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    AB does have a marketing presence in STL but they really scaled back since they were acquired.

They’ll get some deal inked to defend their local market, but the days of really generous, big deals outside of the Cards are over.

6. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised and happy that the pandemic has not affected the stadium building at any site yet and that everyone is proceeding to plan

9. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does this sound about right for the stadiums for the both the expansion teams and existing teams in terms of which stadiums open first? I tried to compile from other blogs , threads and news. Updates ,whether moving ahead faster or following behind can be added.
    --------
    1/ Cincinnati looks furthest along which is fine as the team already exists, at what exact point they move from current place into new place remains to be seen
    2/ Austin is well under way and they have until 2021 so they look ok to make it in time, always good building weather in that part of Texas
    3/Nashville, demo at the fairgrounds site is finally going, already have current team to jump in as soon as done. Much like Cincinnati, when do they move over- mid season or before
    4/St Louis, prep work, freeway offramp removal, if work starts soon, should be ok for 2022
    5/Sacramento, oddly has not really started, felt they had their plans pretty firmed up. Yes, I know there was some city prep in area already. Weather always good, so can build all year round, still should be ok for 2022
    6/ Charlotte, put here, as really a modification to a stadium, see no reason not to be ready for 2021. You could make the case their project will actually be done even before Cincy or Austin, even though the team doesn't start until 2021.
    7/ Miami- put last simply as the primary stadium is still on hold- you could make the case they are #1 on my list as they actually do have a newly build stadium.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Sadly, initial construction has begun. I realize that, on paper, STL MLS and Enterprise are not the same entity. But realistically, they are. It just looks horrible to be building a stadium while simultaneously laying off thousands of people.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly, I hope this Covid situation doesn't stall expansion for MLS. I also hope teams won't start folding. This is kind of scary.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand they're employing people who otherwise would be laid off.

13. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --------------
    Hope Enterprise has really deep pockets, as Hertz is flirting with bankruptcy according to media reports :eek:

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I hate it for the “new” teams to include especially Nashville and Miami. Honestly, it might be worth it to stall expansion season a year to ensure there is enough fan support again. I imagine it’s going to be something to get fans in the seats... for all teams. And those expansion years are critical.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Target seems to be doing good business and that's a big chunk of sponsorship money.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this season ends in the tank, their expansion year will be next year but it could be better. I mean those teams will have another year to try and contact more foreign signings and they can plan more. That is if those players want to come over.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long as the stadium construction continues as schedule and is not affected, I do not think it will affect expansion timelines.

I actually think this is prime time for potential teams 31, 32 to get their ducks in a row and really get organized.

18. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    One of the local sportswriters had a little MLS talk in their chat today:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_0a07e331-c177-5035-8bef-27b6245addc9.html

You'll have to wade thru all the Cardinals questions if you want all the details, but...

Had a little jab at Garber / MLS over all the leaks coming from the office.
    Mentioned stadium sitework ongoing and Taylor's showing no signs of financial concern
    and...
    Name & colors decided, but expect Charlotte team and colors announced before St. Louis.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    This is becoming laughable due to inept leadership of MLS

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's laughable are the anti-MLS comments and media histrionics while the league and the players are quietly reaching agreements both on the CBA and the Orlando tourney.

I'm sorry pro/rel truthers and europhiles but MLS isn't going to fail any time soon.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there'll be a short gap until World Cup 2026 fever leads to expansion fees lead to a stratospheric increase in expansion fees.

Phoenix has its ducks in a row, Vegas is evolving, Detroit and San Diego will sort out their stadium woes, while Indy and South Carolina are outside bets.

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas and Phoenix are my next best bets. Both have NFL stadiums that can be used.as does Indy XI.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of them need NFL stadiums, nor does Indy.

Phoenix Rising have the financing and location close to their existing stadium on a native-American reservation.

Las Vegas Lights propose expanding their existing downtown stadium to seat 25,000.

If Eleven Stadium goes ahead in downtown Indy it will be expandable to meet MLS needs.

canammj repped this.
  24. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------
    We need fewer NFL stadiums, plastic turf and domes.
    These are fine for the time it may take you to construct a proper grass field SSS or you can use the large stadium for special event games, double hitters, exhibitions etc.

Vegas and Phoenix may need mini domes, special roofing or some other methods to play in the summer.
    Indy's project looks great, need roofing for rain and shade, but doesn't really need a dome, they are just down the road from Columbus and Cincy, so similar weather issues.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deafening silence out of Phoenix is incredibly frustrating. Those guys have to start making noise to remain relevant.