Exp Draft on 17 Nov

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Nov 3, 2006.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can protect only 1 SI. I guess we used it on Lochhead.

The chance of them being picked is slim due to their contracts and their SI status.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exposing John and not Lochhead is a ballsy move, however I look at that list and factor in age, salary and playing experience and potetial and Larentowicz is a steal.

3. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    abundis has voiced his displeasure of not playing in the final. and he wants out.

and remember, toronto doesnt have to pick anyone. they can pass.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could only expose---ONE---SI and that was Abundis.Dorman, Avery John, Smith and Pepe have Green cards. As the only other SI we had no choice about Lochhead since we exposed Abundis.

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have gone out and found another SI to protect just so we could expose lochhead.
    little bummed to see gonz and larryrentsometits on there
    And, they've protected all the guys who we will probably lose. does that mean MLS had no intent on letting guys like Dempsey and Sharlie go? or are we holding them to get the allocations and a chunk of the sale $?

biggest surprise of everything is that DC is protecting Erpan. lol!

jmm was right, ronnie o is on the dal list. so is gbandi which imho is a surprise. I like him. Maybe we could trade twellman for ronnie and gbandi

jaqua is a bit of a surprise to see open also

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serioux is as good as gone from Houston, that was probably expected when he signed.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine that is correct

8. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which? no intent on letting them go, or holding for $ and allocat?

9. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Toronto selects Avery John, he would be a Senior Internaitonal or a US player, but if he remains with the Revs he counts as a Domestic player by having a green card. He would not have the Canadian equivalent of a green card.

Don't know if Totonto wants to play the "ethnic" card, but having a guy who played for Trinidad in the World Cup might bring out people of one of the larger ethnic groups in the area.

Toronto gets 4 SIs, 3 additional US players as foreigners, and the rest are Canadian. They will probably have to pay some decent money to get some of the Canadian players back from overseas, so if John counts as a moderately priced "US player" he might be worth a shot.

You figure they'd have to take Serieux, but other Canadians might be harder to come by. Montreal have signed most of their better players to long-term contracts, anticipating that if Toronto wanted any of them, the Impact would want a transfer fee. If they can't get Onstead from Houston via a trade, they have their eye on Montreal's Chris Sutton.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cut you're quote to short.

Here is the full page from MLSnet.com where the exposed players are listed, and the Toronto Rules follow.

They take Serioux, that's one Canadian.

They can take 7 SIs including 3 Americans.

A YI can be on the senior roster, but must be under 25.

That makes more than enough spots for 10 picks.

Plus, they can turn around and trade these players.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have 7 SI's. They have 4 SI's and the other 3 spots have to be occupied by Americans.

Any developmental or YI player drafted is drafted as a senior roster player. If TFC drafts Gonzo, he's on the senior roster.

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four plus three equals seven where I come from.

My point was they have up to 12 international (SI and YI) spots they could use for their other 9 expansion picks, if they so desire. Not just 4 as REV IT UP was thinking.

14. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I would love to see this Flyer in a Rev uniform. The problem I have is who would be replace on the back line? Not that it is realistic anyway, he is their Andy Dorman.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Keep in mind that when everyone was healthy and available, John was about 3rd choice for a starting spot in defense. For whatever reason, Nicol did not play him until he had to.

AJ played very well down the stretch run, but I don't think Nicol rates him that highly (it may be his proclivity for those 2-footed, studs-up tackles).

16. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at all the games and love Larentowicz as much as the next guy but Toronto will not take him, outside of New England I doubt there is a big market for this guy and d-mids are a dime a dozen.

Toronto is taking either Avery John or James Riley. Avery John would be a great player to start a backline around imo, but his SI status and price are factors that make Riley seem the likely pick.

17. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Well Football Manager is psychic, so James Riley is going.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think you're right on. Larentowicz probably doesn't have the visibility and you are right, dmid is considered the easiest spot to fill (and one of the easiest to fill with a mid-round draft pick).

Riley's versatility (along with his youth and low salary) would make him the most likely choice (although his injury history is going to weigh against it somewhat).

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken Avery John makes $35K
    Both John and Riley would be cheap.

My bet is that anyone goes it will be Riley

20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass

I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I think it's a really good sign that we protected Noonan, who is (from what I've heard) out of contract. I don't think we'd get anything for him if he left (no transfer fee) and even if we did it would pale in comparison to what we'd get for Dempsey and Joseph (and Twellman if he left). The fact that we protected Pat and left unprotected some young players that Nicol has no qualms about playing must mean that they expect to re-sign him.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be shocked if he didn't resign with the Revs.

22. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me, too and upset. But to put rumors to rest, if he doesn't resign with the Revs and signs with another MLS team, I will not become a fan of that team. (Monty, Uncle Mike, Ed...:D ) I will still be a Noonan fan though.

I hear that he is very happy here.

23. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    It would have to be with another league, unless a team traded for his rights.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little over 10 minutes to go...

25. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH