Exp Draft on 17 Nov

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Nov 3, 2006.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we had a left mid, we may have won it;)

2. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew someone would say this.

I'm going to say this before monty does (and god help ...I sound like monty)...

11 years no silverwear is not good enough for me. I don't care if it's an the usuck cup, the panty sheild, or the mls cup (dildo shapped trophy). we got nothing. I'm tired of being able to hear other supporters groups sing
    "how many trophies have you won? not a ********ing one"
    I want more.

we could have spent some cash and got a left mid field to replace marshall. we could have brought in another forward instead of wiating till sept to pick up a 8934592385 year old mexican former nt play who can't even find a starting spot on a side in his own country.

we could have been better and we should have been better, but the front office settled and we had to settle for 2nd place.

I'm happy we are second, but i'd rather be 1st. we got help from a self distructing DC team. it could have been a 3rd of 4th place. we were as close to 1 as we were to 4th.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ... what he said.

The problem with this whole set up wasn't bringing in Abundis. It was the fact that they turned a blind eye towards their needs going into the season and never used their allocation (Thank God we traded for it!), we never brought in any players that could help us during the season (and even our draft picks were ... well ... you know).

We knew going into the season that at points we'd have to deal with injuries, World Cup call-ups, etc. And the organization turned a blind eye towards it, attempted to bring in two players (and it never even got to the stage where they were discussing money) and then decided to just not do anything. It's a good thing they were 500k or whatever under the cap though! At least that's good news for Kraft.

But hey ... what does it matter. We made the ECF five years in a row (big friggin' whoop), and we've finished second best three times! YAY! We're number two! We're number two!

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a left mid that set TnT up for the header he should have put away in the first half and it was a left mid that set him up late in the match for his goal. :)

Unfortunately it was also a left mid who left his man get behind him and set up the Houston goal :rolleyes:

5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    live by the left mid, die by the left mid

and its hard to blame anyone for that goal. a) on the replay it looks like ching might have been offsides, b) you can't defend against random deflections off of avery john's head (curse its roundness! if only he had a flat head, or had a giant afro that could have cushioned the ball and absorbed its velocity!)

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I have now heard this from a couple of people, including a Dallas fan tonight. Was Ching off?

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Check out the replay on youtube. Ching is obviously ahead of the ball, and it looks like he is ahead of heaps as well.

8. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Hard to say since ABC didn't seem to film it. ABC should air the game, but they should have all the camera/production stuff done by mls teams. They don't seem to understand the concept that there's a non-stop game going on, and those lovely closeups of individual players running around when the announcers are talking about them don't work for this sport. The replay I saw on mlsnet looked like what I saw on tv, where they start showing from about the time of the cross like they're interrupting their broadcast with breaking news.

If Ching wasn't offside he should have been, because if he was ahead of the ball they shouldn't have been chasing him like that.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No, he passed Heaps and Parkhurst while the ball was on it's way.

Heaps screwed up by not staying goalside of his man, end of story.

-----

Protect:

Joseph - #1 asset
    Noonan (idiot wind, you must be nuts, he'd be snatched in a heartbeat, and he's not going anywhere after an injury-plagued season)
    Dorman - a key man from here on
    Twellman - hopefully the hernia surgery brings him back to form
    Larentowicz - only going to get better
    Reis - nuff said
    Riley - young, cheap and improving
    Smith - a gamebreaker - close to being a fulltime 2-way player
    Parkhurst - untouchable
    Dempsey - to protect the compensation and transfer fee
    John - if we have to protect an SI

expose:

Kyle Brown - no risk there
    Abundis - not gonna be taken, probably not coming back anyway
    Cancela - *probably* not taken with raise coming, regardless, done here
    Franchino - he wasn't picked last time, won't get picked this time
    Galik - too untested to be picked
    Gonzalez - he must be protected, no?
    Heaps - mediocre player, non-critical position, 30+, veteran salary = not picked
    Haggerty - untested
    Hernandez - 30+, veteran salary, probably won't be taken
    Leonard - injury prone, but good possibility he'll be taken
    Lochhead - still too raw
    Oka - mystery man
    Ralston - good player, but biggish salary and on the downside, safe
    Tomasso - 3rd string
    Wynn - marginal
    Williamson -ditto
    Warren - take him, please

10. hootie

hootie New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Clearly ONSIDE...go to www.mlsnet.com and click on game highlights. Reduce the video size to 50% by right clicking on the picture.(This will help with clarity) Click/drag your mouse to the 2:08 time on the bottom. When the video starts, immediately click pause, then play, then pause, then play, you can see that when the ball is in the air Ching is slightly beyond Heaps, but no worse than even with Parkhurst. :(

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you guys. I'll check it out when I go home Saturday afternoon. I can't stand the thought of going to MLSnet right now.

Anyway, I wonder if they'll announce the list of available players, or will they try and keep it hushed up?

12. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I put my hand up to block the middle of the screen.

13. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have read my mind because I was wondering the same thing. I'm hoping for an evening press release, but somehow I doubt it. Imagine that you are Jeff Larentowicz. Do you really want to hear that you've been left unprotected, even if you aren't selected? IMO releasing the list would provide a negative vibe to players and cause them to get anxious next spring about contracts, etc. But I'm just a Rider up in the Green Mountains, so what the heck do I know?

BTW doesn't it seem like every Canuck in MLS plays for the Dynamo? How's Toronto going to get Onstad and Serioux (De-Ro is going with Dempsey and Joseph overseas).

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would tell the players before they send the press release. Last time Franchino was pretty pissed he was left unprotected. But it's the nature of the business.

15. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he's our captain... go figure.

16. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this coming from the guy who's name describes someone who plays for 10 actual minutes of soccer but gets off the hook because he scores for when he tries for those 10 minutes.

i will take someone who TRIES ALL GAME instead of taking plays off anyday

17. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    wow, today on BS.com I've read that Reiss is too slow and bad with his feet (on the nats board) and that Twellman doesn't hustle. I guess there actually is a big crystal meth problem in this country.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heres just a little dog poop for people to throw around while we wait a day or two for the list to be published.

What is the significance of the numbers 11, 25 and 51 for Rev fans?

:p

19. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez
    He should be the captain in my correct opinion

20. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please tell me your kidding

yeh i guess so. like the people who dont watch the games then make assessments based on stats.

21. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    11,235.1: average attendance after the playoff game.

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Try again:cool:

23. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 - Noonan.

25 - Dorman.

51 - Teddy Chronopolous and Jim St. Andre had a creepy love-child. They named him Fangoso.

24. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    11 = noonan and mullan
    25 = dorman and ching
    51 = serioux

too tired/depressed to connect any dots

25. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Those are the spots where we appear in the allocation chain?

Either that or where we appear in the draft ;)