Exhibition Match Report 2021

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by collegesoccer, Aug 19, 2021.

1. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Does anyone else find it frustrating to not have much information about exhibition matches? Can't imagine it happening in basketball to have no stats, some teams don't list a schedule and there is very little follow-up on the matches. I find that mid-majors, who don't have football, are a little more open about what is going on to promote their programs.

Teams should be required to list scores, stats, highlights, etc. A very short-sided approach so that other teams don't have a "scout" for the first game and everyone on the DL. Some do, many don't.

fknbuflobo and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We get a "recap" for exhibition games at iuhoosiers.com, but no stats. I'm not sure what the rationale is for "requiring" schools to post all of these things for exhibition games. Having grown up when the entirity of soccer coverage was one hour a week ("Soccer Made in Germany"), I'm just grateful for the amount of coverage we get.

Real Mobile repped this.
  3. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Sometimes scrimmages are 3 30s, sometimes you're trying out different formations, sometimes you play your starters for only a half or are trying them in new positions. If you're building your scouting report off a stat sheet from a scrimmage, you're building your scouting report wrong. Set up a scout exchange with the team your upcoming opponent is playing.

Also, this happens all the time in basketball. Closed door scrimmages....

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Usually one close door scrimmage in basketball and it's not allowed to be called a scrimmage. It's a close-door practice with pinnies. Basketball is allowed one scrimmage usually with a D3 team and they are covered like any other game. These are soccer games with fans, etc. That is why it doesn't make sense to hide the data, highlights, etc. For example here is Michigan basketball coverage:

https://mgoblue.com/news/2019/11/1/...exhibition-win-over-saginaw-valley-state.aspx

Here is Michigan Soccer coverage:

https://mgoblue.com/sports/mens-soccer/schedule/2021

Just frustrating not to see more highlights, stats or game reports whether they are playing varied lineups, tactics, etc.

Sandon Mibut and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I managed to catch about 2/3 of the Friday exhibition match between Michigan and SVSU. As a Michigan fan, I really enjoyed it. I think all healthy players got some match time. It was scoreless at the half, but UM won 2-0. From what I saw, UM dominated possession and created the most chances. SVSU had multiple opportunities on counter attacks, but never finished any. UM also squandered several scoring chances. UM showed some good passing and movement off the ball.

While we were moving to different seats, we missed what I believe was a “red card” for SVSU’s number 10. I think UM #2 was injured and left the match. #10 came off, but SVSU still was allowed to play with eleven. Later, in the second half, the coaches agreed that SVSU’s #10 could return to play.
    We enjoyed watching the match, but have been frustrated by the lack of information on these exhibition matches.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    A real defensive battle last night between IU & L'ville - 5-4(!). Joey Maher's 87th minute winner was his first collegiate goal.