Excellent summation of Toon's woes

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by CrewToon, Nov 13, 2006.

1. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yeah, that about sums it up.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add the Carling Cup with UEFA Cup.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yup.

Only one thing I'd question is...

"Did SBR have to go?"

I would have liked him and Shearer to both ride off into the sunset after 04/05. But it was obvious then that no replacements for Shearer, Speed, cover for Given (who I still fully expect to move every transfer window) and defenders were being bought.

Then again, SBR did start having some mental "moments" during the Bowyer/UEFA and Lua Lua Loan fiascos. So maybe he should have been shitcanned that summer.

F-it though. No use crying over spilt milk. Buy some actual strikers and defenders (and healthy keepers) in the Jan window, pick up 40 points from our final 26 games, Win Carling/UEFA Cup games (face it, it's all we have to look forward to this season) and send Roeder back to the academy in May and get a real manager in here.

Thx,

Jay!

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I never understood why Speed was let go.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The article said it was to sign Butt.

I think Speed left because NUFC thought he was done. Then we signed Butt. I've always thought Speed had one (not three) seasons left in him.

I think the loss of Speed hurt more than the loss of Solano months before.

Thx,

Jay!

6. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBR shouldve left the summer before he was canned. This article glossed over his transfer problems, like Viana, and lack of discipline.
    It seems to me that the biggest problems with our club are:
    poor choices in managers since SBR and Keegan;
    too much money for managers to throw around, we need to make them be smart about their purchases instead of opening the checkbook each time;
    and expectations that are too high. We need to have a couple years of rebuilding instead of buying stop-gap players that we think will get us back on top.