Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough. Seems like there's a huge gap between the two teams. How do you judge who's ready to move up?

WRT Iloski, I'm not sure he's good enough for MLS, but should have torn up with the Monarchs. Maybe the club realized that?

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He left on a free, right? And just sold for a not insignificant amount of money from USL

3. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I've posted about Iloski a lot over the past few years cause I think he's a perfect example of our poor development system. He was a standout in our academy, but didn't get a pro deal so went to the NCAA. He was one of the best players in the NCAA for 3 full years before getting a pro deal. He was quite good with the Monarchs too (prior to Next Pro existing, it was in USL) but he got no chance with the first team.

So he signed with an independent USL team and stood out, and is now going to a decent club in Europe. My thing is, I don't know what he was supposed to do to get a shot with the first team - he stood out at every level he played, but never got a look with the first team.

But broader picture, the Monarchs are wrapping up their 9th season, and what are their success stories? What players have developed with the Monarchs into first-team contributors? I think the biggest Monarchs success we've had is Maikel Chang, who is a perfectly useful player, but is that really why we created this team?

Even if Iloski was never going to pan out himself, the club needs to take a serious look at their development pipeline and see why its going so wrong. They need to admit there are serious problems here and they are squandering high-level talent.

jessyca, 15 to 32, Allez RSL and 2 others repped this.
  5. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All fair points, but surely the organization sees the issues, too.

There were lots of lost years and they may just be re-setting the whole process. May not see the returns for a bit if the focus is on the better Academy kids playing with the Monarchs.

rslfanboy repped this.
  6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Do they? Pablo just sent our best young CB on loan to the middle of nowhere while signing a USL journeyman to provide depth at the same position.

jessyca, 15 to 32, acima and 1 other person repped this.
  7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I've said this previously. the DLH&Waibel years were really rough for the pipeline.
    You are also correct. Definitely not batting 1.000

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo did?

Have you checked what position they have him playing?

9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    If he actually was our best young CB he would still be here. He's not. And if he was the best CB they wouldn't be trying to play him at another position. I'm sure all fan bases are like this where they see some potential in a player and wont let go. Bofo still comes up occasionally and this team is full of guys just as good as him which isn't really that good but people just love to think that he could do more than fake left go right 3 or 4 times a season.

The RSL pipeline definitely needs to get fixed.

10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Former Monarchs left back Noah Powder gets the start for the Trinidad and Tobago national team against the USA. He then gets sent off late in the first half.

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douglas Martinez played about 2200 minutes for Indy Eleven of the USL this season, and scored four goals.

Douglas was our top forward threat in 2020. Three goals. My how the world has changed for us up front!

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This league has a special way of churning through players like that
    Injuries are one thing
    But some dudes come in and have a spell for a season or maybe even a half, then fall off the proverbial cliff. It’s so weird

goobx1 repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird is a FA and so is his teammate Dorsey. Should RSL sign either?

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Dorsey won’t be cheap. He played himself into some $$$ this year.

I don’t think Baird is the answer. He might be good for a 3rd option up front or wing depth, but I’d rather not retread.

JLaw and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Absolute no on Baird. Huffle puff on the other hand I would take in a minute.

16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Musovski isn't coming back (is it less likely with EF out?), Baird wouldn't be the worst option. However, Musovski barely hit the salary budget, so any replacement is going to be hard to fit in that way. Might be time for one of the young attackers (Paul, Bert, Kei, Gozo) to step up.

evilradar repped this.
  17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would think that there is a greater chance of Musovski coming back with EF gone. I think Pablo like Moose more than EF and that is why he put him in the starting lineup right when he came back and hoped he could put that 5th pk away. How could EF get rid of the guy that saved the season?

I like Baird but I just can't see him fitting back in here.

I also fine with both Moose and Baird finding or keeping a home elsewhere. Let's quit with the retreads and start giving more players a shot.

Just sayin.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird is an academy product. The club got a decent enough trade value out of him. If they think they could do that again, I’m not against it. He improved at Houston.

I say this as someone who wants to punch Baird in the face 95% of the time I watch him play

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    He also seems to have put on 10lbs of muscle since he left.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  20. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Did anyone else see that Freddy Juarez was in the running for Charlotte's head coaching gig?

21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very surprising. I would want no part of that job. Maybe he really does want to be a HC and just wanted out of the ****show that was RSL at the time?

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Corey Baird to Cincinnati.

15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  23. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are stacked. I might have to go catch a game this year. Great stadium, too.

Ismitje, rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  24. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Good for him. Not a huge fan of Corey. Really curious to see if he can become a more consistent performer year over year. I have serious doubts that he can.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not his biggest fan, either. However, you have to give him credit for a pretty solid 2023. Nothing astounding, but decently average

goobx1 repped this.