Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United is my families team so I pull for them when they aren't playing Milan... which is very rare of late, sadly.

Honestly, the best thing for United and Ten Hag would be to get jumped by West Ham too. Then play the u23s in the Conference league or whatever it's called and focus on the week to week games in EPL

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Milan Iloski line up as forward for Orange County SC of the USL, with strike partner Cubo Torres. ESPN+ is a wonder in how much soccer is shown.

Iloski has two goals in six games for OCSC.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2153 Ismitje, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    And Milan with a goal in the first ten minutes - well taken too. Cubo also scored, first.

EDIT: Brace for Iloski in the first twenty minutes. He looks in form, but Tulsa is hot garbage.

EDIT TWO: And drew a penalty and red card on a defender within 30 minutes.

rslfanboy repped this.
  4. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's not good enough for RSL, but we never saw him in MLS. Did he even play for the Monarchs? Just seems like we sign HGs only to never give them much of a chance in MLS only to lose them. Expecting Ochoa to be the next one. Davis might not be far behind.

RSLer repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BuT wE pLaY tHe MoSt HoMeGrOwNs

acima repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2156 Ismitje, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Corey Baird started the first five games for Houston, shifted into a substitute role for the next five games, and was not on the bench last game/is not on the bench tonight. Not on the injury report either.

EDIT: reading through the Dynamo version of RSL Soapbox, it looks like he's just fallen down the pecking order.

RSLer repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That's too bad. Hopefully he gets some confidence back and can figure out how to be a solid MLS player because that is probably his ceiling.

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid example of selling when you can. Hope to see more of it, but RSL will have to play the kids first.
    Don't know what's going on with the man. He looked so good his rookie year.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's neat the franchise signed Luis Silva to the Special Olympics Unified team.

10. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about this.
    Trey told me on Twitter that the team brought him back last year. I had no idea.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  12. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
  14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reports I've read so far say he's got some family issues going on and wants to be closer to Mexico so it's easier to visit them. But I'd bet there are other things going on as well...

UofRSL repped this.
  15. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Milan Iloski got barely a sniff with the RSL first-team but then he signed in USL and is currently leading the league in goals.

There's a fun collection of players at Orange County - Iloski's striker partner is Cubo Torres, once upon a time a DP striker in MLS. Michael Orozco, 29 USA caps and all, is a starting CB. And their backup LB is none other than Danny Acosta.

Unfortunately this list of big-for-USL names has them right at the bottom of the standings. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see Milan get another crack at MLS with the season he's having - he turns 23 later this month.

Ismitje, acima and rslfanboy repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bofo Saucedo's contract with Pumas ran out, and he moved to Toluca, also of the LigaMx.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douglas Martinez went 118 for Sacramento Republic in the US Open Cup semifinal win over Sporting KC. Sacramento won 5-4 on penalties and will play Orlando in the final.

Former Monarchs coach Mark Briggs is the Sacramento coach so there's a double RSL impact there.

rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You're talking, Mark Briggs, domestic abuser and cheater, whom RSL/Del Loy helped pay to hush it all up? Obviously, I'm being extra harsh, because we never really found out the truth of the matter.

Martinez did not take a penalty.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corey Baird's Houston lost 6-0 to Philadelphia today. He is not injured but was not in the gameday 20. He had one start in June, then one appearance as a sub (for zero official minutes) in July. Houston also signed a young winger from Colombia this week so it doesn't look good for Baird to get on the field.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might not be a popular opinion, but I see a lot of Baird rookie season in Jasper this year. Extremely high work rate that covers a lot of technical flaws. Results in him being a thorn in the side to the opponent.

the hope is jasper is already old enough to not let a stellar single season dictate his ego

goobx1 repped this.
  21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    it also didn’t help Corey got a NT call up. That seemed to stoke his ego quite a bit.

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that Jasper is grateful for the opportunity to play at this level and will keep pushing to improve himself. Anyway, his technical skills far surpass Baird’s. What that means is that if they both have hit their ceilings Loffelsend’s skill level is at the MLS level, whereas Baird’s is not.

23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I saw some comparisons to Slonina and Ochoa over the weekend after his 15 million dollar sell/transfer and trying to compare the players because NT call ups.

I'm not excusing the FO for anything that they did that may have soured the team's relationship with Ochoa but in most situations like this it always seems to come back to the player. At least it's not a 50/50 thing.

It's too bad it all went down this way but I think if he had been more of a "team" player and took the back up roll and been more professional he just might be starting next week. He also would have actual suitors and not some made up random interest from international teams that mysteriously show up and then fail to materialize. Imagine that.

We will see how it goes but I really don't think that in the long run RSL missed out on anything with Ochoa. At least not anything that they have to worry about any time soon. I doubt he makes an impact anywhere else any time soon. I could be wrong and hope that I am.

rslfanboy repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Slonina sold for $15 million and Ochoa for $75K, a 200x difference. Is Slonina a 200x better prospect than Ochoa?

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going along with this perspective is the Pablo factor. Obviously he considers team attitude and the locker room to be priority ingredients to building what he wants. I don’t think Ochoa is a good match for this plan. I can picture Pablo telling him “To be honest David I don’t want you around the team.”

goobx1 repped this.